I've been experimenting with supplements but I need help with dosages. Any advice?

Proper diet and supplements. I saw an ad for dog food for older dogs that helped them to improve mentally and physically. Why can't we do something like this for humans? I need to understand how much and what to give my husband. Anyone got a suggestion where to go and who to talk to? Health food stores are full of suggestions... but I need more than a clerk suggesting this supplement or that food supplement. I really need guidance for someone that understands dementia etc. I also need to know what to give him for low energy and when to give it to him

I see changes but I need help with dosage. I give him coconut capsules, COQ10, magnesium, B12 a neuro-optimizer... I do vegetable drinks with kale, spinach, turmeric, ginger and whatever vegetables/fruitsI have on hand. I have seen improvements but I need to know dosages, interactions etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not giving up!

18

Answers

B12 and vtimin D3 are the two most common deficiencies in geriatric people. B12 needs to be cleaved off of a protein to which it is bound, which requires stomach acid that many older people do not make well, and then bound to a protein manufactured in the stomach, which also is not made in as great a quantity in older people. That is why most doctors recommend that B12 be given as a supplement to older adults or even as a B12 injection. BTW, stomach acid reducers such a cimetidine can reduce the absorption of B12, as the stomach acid is required to get the B12 off the protein in the food.

Most elderly adults stay inside a lot and require D3. We give 2,000 I.U.'s a day to my father in law and 500 micrograms of B12, the lowest dose we could find. Higher doses do no good, as it has to be bound to the protein made by the stomach and the stomach only produces, at best, enough protein to bind about 10 micrograms of B12. Anything else is just passed on through.

Certainly smoothies with fruit and vegetables are always helpful for everyone. Lots of nutrition in an easy to swallow form. There are some good premise ones out there or you can make your own. Fruit juices help to make it more palatable and, if my father in law is any guide, elderly people seem to love sweet food. Add some powdered supplements, like nutritional yeast and chia seeds for more nutritional boost. It is easier to swallow than pills, though if you add too much of the powder and it does not dissolve well, it can become gritty and not pleasant. Always be sure that any powdered supplement is well mixed and dissolves well.

Turmeric should be taken with pepper. The pipeline in the pepper increases the absorption of the anti inflammatory molecules in the turmeric by about 100%. It makes a huge difference in the activity of the tumeric.

Coq10 is always good for everyone. As we get older our bodies make less of it and it is also anti inflammatory. Scientists are now discovering that inflammation and oxidation are at the root of many problems, such as heart disease. If you keep the fats from oxidizing, they don't stick to the arteries and if they are already there, inflammation is what sets the process of a heart attack in motion. Use lots of antioxidants and antiinflammatories!

Wow!!! Many good answers.....Think I'll just have us eat the dog food!!marymember

Magnesium L-threonate the type you need. I'm giving my husband and myself, 667mg twice a day. No ill effects thus far. DefinitelyTurmeric. Doctor should have prescribed potassium with diuretics. Don't think over the counter dose is adequate. Husbands Dr. Prescribed POTA CHOLRIDE 10MEG ER TAB ZYD ONCE DAILY, when taking diuretic.
Husband has dementia. My Dr. suggested for mood swings,(anxiety, sun downing, etc.) rather than antidepressant, 5htp 500mg twice a day, L-tyrosine 500mg twice a day, phosphatyl-serine 200 mg. instead of starting all these at once. Try 5htp first. It could cause drowsiness. Then you could add l-tyrosine, then phosphatyl-serine. I'm taking all these supplements myself, I need calming (stress) too. These are supplements and the doctor was comfortable recommending them. I don't notice any drowsiness, but I don't have dementia.

Wow great job! I am happy to see you using nutritional options and I wish more people would try this!
You can increase the use of coconut by using can coconut milk in recipes or mix half with regular milk if it's too much change, to use in everything.
Also use coconut oil, for cooking and even on toast. It's really delicious. Be creative and try new ideas! Very healthy with many benefits for you and your husband.
CoQ10 usually 100-200 MG is a standard dose. I have never heard a doctor say not to take it.
For B-12, use foods rich in B vitamins and no need to worry about doses.

My father died in June 2008, I started taking care of Mom on that day. She started taking memory Meds in 2005, she stopped the memory meds in 2015 and all the side affects went away. I don't think they ever helped her anyway. In June 2008 I cut out all processed food and started cooking for her from scratch. I have been taking supplements my whole life and started mom right away with her Doctors approval.
Vitamin D3 4000 mg. After Breakfast
Aspirin 81 mg. After Breakfast
Multivitamin 1 tab After Lunch
Fish Oil 600 mg DHA 3 PM, Break open Mix in yogurt W/ blueberries
Vitamin C 1000 mg. 3 PM, Break open Mix in yogurt W/ blueberries
Colon Health Probiotic 1.5 Billion Cells 3 PM, Break open Mix in yogurt W/ blueberries
Stool softener stimulant free 100 mg. Bed Time
Stool softener W/stimulant 100 mg. Bed Time, if no BM for 24 hours
Always check with the Doctors and make sure they have a record of everything your doing.
Ended Cholesterol Medication to help retain memory in 2015
Mom has gotten sick only once in 7 years.
Good luck and God bless, Gary

Seek out help from a holistic doctor. You may be overloading his system with too many supplements that he doesn't need. Have extensive blood tests done to see what he is missing. Do not do the regular doctor blood tests as they only give a general information and not a detailed one. He may have thyroid issues that don't show up in normal blood tests.
I think you have great intentions but you are going about it with too much gusto. Just because something is natural and claims to do this and that doesn't necessarily mean it is good for him. He may need more protein or good carbs. You just don't know and experimenting with supplements doesn't help. You don't know what you are doing. Like others here I suggest using coconut oil and olive oil to your cooking and taking coconut oil orally once in the morning and once in the evening will benefit with memory loss, digestive problems and a whole host of others. Olive oil can be used on the skin to help exfoliate dead cells, helps keep the moisture locked in and has antioxidants along with vitamins A and E.

Just remember more is not necessarily better. You would need to dose by weight and adjust for interactions with existing medications. The suggestions for a Naturopathic MD are sending you in the right direction.

I agree with others that supplements should be used sparingly and only if needed. There are some supplements recommended for people with Alzheimer's -- Vit B12 and Vit E. Many older people who don't get out in the sunshine or drink enriched milk may also need Vit D3. I give my mother these three things, because her blood panels showed she had deficiencies in 2 of them -- D3 and B12. I added the E after reading a recent study that indicated it had a protective effect against Alzheimer's.

I give her 500 mcg B12 and 400 IU E each day. I give her 2000 IU D3 three times a week. D3 is stored in fat tissues, so I don't want to give her the dosages recommended on the bottle. I suspect it would cause a buildup.

I much prefer the suggestion of a balanced diet supplemented if blood panels show there is a deficiency. We don't really want to start adding chemicals that aren't needed to the diet.

Many chiropractors are trained in nutrition, supplements and their interactions with medicine, so you may want to check with them if no osteopath is available. Now for my 2 cents, speaking as a layman:
- I understand that ubiquinol is a more bio-available form of CoQ-10.
- Sublingual B-12 would probably be easier to absorb than other forms.
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil are good for serious cases. You can cook with it, put it on food like you would butter, or take it by the spoonful if you're tough! It's more economical to buy it by the jar, although capsules are convenient for some people.

Tumeric capsules a must. You are on the right track, what you are trying will be much more helpful then prescription AD meds, and PCDrs are not taught to speak of anything but prescription meds. Everyone, For an real eye opener, when you have 90 minutes to spare watch this
youtube/watch?v=km2cqQNFtEs
then you will know why you will not leave the Drs office without a prescription