My Father is currently in. personal care home and doing rather well...he has some dementia but not bad...we are planning on moving out west and bringing him along to live with us. I am an only child and want to know I want to get a legal agreement so that he can pay money towards his keep...such as a rental fee, groceries, food, cate etc. is this possible and who should I have do this as I am concerned that one day his health is at a point where he goes into a nursing home and once his $ is gone they come back on me for using some of his money for him staying with us...he is 83 now and it has been 6 years since he has signed any property over too me do I know I am safe's just his money now and using it once we move and he is living full time in our home. I do have POA.... Thanks for any help!

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I would suggest getting a consult with and elder law attorney and lay out above before making this move. I don't think you have anything to worry about but consulting with an attorney who specializes in elder care would be money well spent. Then if there are additional fees for legal agreements needed to protect you and your dad, you can decide how far you want to go. He may refer you to someone for those at the state you will be moving to make sure they can be honored there.

You'll want to be sure there is a search for anything out there unpaid taxes, liens, etc that you might not ever dream of that attorney can help you with. Just some things I would do before I took on care responsibilities.

Ps. Don't buy a home calculating in your dads contribution... I've seen this go sour when the parent has to have skilled care or moves into a care facility and the family can no longer afford their home on their own. It's nice he can contribute, but be sure you can afford on your own if and when he no longer can stay with you or that money will be redistributed to care needs (in home assistance, skilled care, personal care needs, etc).

I admire you for wanting to have him with you. Just make sure you and your family have fully understood your decision and anticipate the future.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter