My gram needs a hobby. Any ideas?

My grandmother (80) has been depressed for a couple years. I am her in house care giver and after 3 years of grieving, and discussions we have decided she needs something she can find passion in. She has tremors which complicates things a bit. She used to enjoy knitting, crocheting, walking, and reading which she still does but it only assists her in disconnecting herself from life. Im wondering if anyone out there has some ideas i can try with her to help her find something to be passionate about again. Thank you in advance fpr any ideas

16

Answers

Just P'M'ed the link but can't doublecheck the posted message, which suggests the link might have been blocked. So search on "Meetups, Boylston, Mass."

Reading is one of my anti-depressive techniques. I've ready most of Margaret Truman's mysteries at least 3 times. I've read John Grisham, Sheldon Siegel and some other legal mystery writers, but their novels are long and might be too much to holder your GM's interest. Siegel is a good writer, but his focus is heavily on courtroom tactics, which I find interesting since I've worked in law most of my life.

Another thought: do you get Hallmark Channel - Jessica Fletcher's Murder, She Wrote is a long running, short but likeable mystery movie series. There's an element of relaxation as well as many episodes are set in Cabot Cove, Maine. Even though the episodes haven't been updated with digital quality, I still find it relaxing to see the coastside scenes. And there's nothing gory like some of the intense mysteries with intense violence.

There's another delightful yet intriguing series of books which normally wouldn't be considered mysteries, but in many ways are: Griffin and Sabine, by Nick Bantock. There are if I remember 6 short books, a combination of artwork, psychological mystery, and intrigue. The books are in letter form, rather than chapter form. Events take place through these letters, which are on elaborately decorated, very symbolic pages and designs. At one time there was a G & S online forum.

Reading is one of my anti-depressive techniques. I've ready most of Margart Truman's mysteries at least 3 times. I've read John Grisham, Sheldon Siegel and some other legal mystery writers, but their novels are long and might be too much to holder your GM's interest. Siegel is a good writer, but his focus is heavily on courtroom tactics, which I find interesting since I've worked in law most of my life.

Alillo, thanks for the update. There might even be book clubs for specific mystery authors in your area.

Although it would be kind of cumbersome, I know that there are author specific online book clubs. Perhaps you could find one for her favorite authors, print out comments on current discussions, discuss them with her, then post a response on her behalf. If you can ask questions or stimulate discussion on a specific issue, it might give her the opportunity to look forward to answers.

At one time I researched online for local book clubs beyond those that met at librairies. I was unprepared for the wealth of clubs that I found. Did just a google search for meets up near Boyston, MASS and got a lot of hits. (I'll PM it to you so the link isn't compromised by the filters).

If you can find one that has a coffee or dessert chat afterwards, it's a great way to mingle with others. The Michigan Jane Austen Society of North America group was one of which I was a member for a few years. The post discussion chats were friendly, relaxing, but the food was very high in sugar. Careful monitoring was necessary b/c sugar spikes were common. The food was delicious, but there really was nothing healthy about it. However, it was a good change to get to know others more closely.

But the enthusiasm it generated really was exciting. I always looked forward to that once a month meeting during non-summer months. It was like a reunion with friends I never knew I had.

There's a book club sponsored by the Assn. of University Women, with a section that discusses foreign affairs. Unfortunately, the degree requirement is very restrictive, but if your GM has a degree, that might something to consider, even if it's not mystery oriented. The level of conversation was as stimulating as a college course; the women were friendly, and it was a very inspirational program.

The book club sounds like a pretty solid idea such a basic one. Im going to do some searches on local bookclubs. I have been working woth her for 3 years now. I have attempted to get her a routine because that was completely lost. I find it very difficult to help her start any kind of daily routine. Hense why i was searching for something she can try to get excited about. Ive told her anything she decides to try ill do it with het so she wont have to be nervous or anything. Thank you all so much for the feedback. This site is great when i cant seem to see a solution it gi es me different ways to look at the situtation. Im so grateful!

Sunnygirl makes an excellent point. A hobby, an interest to get enthusiastic about, something to look forward to in the day -- all these are great and helpful. But they can't overcome clinical depression. A person with depression can't simply snap herself out of it by doing interesting things.

So I am so glad you are taking Gram to the doctor and this will get discussed again. There are many, many antidepressants and it is often trial-and-error to find the right one. But it is out there!

The suggested activities, etc, are good to try while a medication is working. They can help a lot, but probably not do the trick alone.

The activities are great, but if she is clinically depressed, I'm wondering how she is going to get the ability to become more involved and motivated. It may be expecting too much from her, though, I've read that some things may help. I would hope that her doctor could adjust her meds and that might lift her mood and allow her to receive more pleasure from her interests.

I know you said she was going to see her doctor again about her depression. I might also ask about checking her levels of Vitamin B and thyroid, as well as sugar. Just to make sure something like that is effecting her.

And I've read that a schedule is good, exercise, if possible,good diet and plenty of sleep. Does she have a trouble SLEEPING? If that is the case, she might just be very tired during the day. I'd check into that as well.

I'd build on the reading. Find a group that meets regularly, preferably one that reads a lot of mysteries. The one I belong to meets in a used book store. We select our reading list and it is mostly mysteries with a non-fiction once in a while, and sometimes best-sellers. Most of our members are middle age or older although we have had younger members. Hearing other people's opinions gives you a fresh way to look at books.

Many libraries have book clubs. Senior Centers often do.

And it does sound like her med needs adjusting.

I agree with Pam, get her out once a week at least to socialize with people of her own generation. Card parties? Bingo? Just hanging out for lunch or tea at the senior's centre?

Thank you for the suggestion AD. i hadnt thought of that, ill ask her about that today.

Sunny i have mentioned this to her doctors she is on an antidepressent but not much has changed so i plan on mentioning it again on her next visit.

Find out if she had hobbies as a child or teenager, see if you can modify them for her age.