My father has been on hospice here in Florida for close to 2 1/2 months now. He is on hospice for congestive heart failure and his arteries are blocked (2 of them 80% blocked 1 of them 100% blocked. Too weak for catherization) he is also ESRF with kidney function at 15%. Problem is that no matter what my mom and I ask for, hospice says they won’t cover it. We asked for help with transportation to dialysis ( because he is completely bedridden) they say no, they don’t cover preventative medice. We ask for insulate, they say no it’s not related to his heart. We ask for refills on his nitroglycerin, they say no it’s not on list of discharge meds from hospital (even though he was not in need of nitro upon discharge cause he had plenty of pills left from refill).
My argument is that all his health issues stem from years of uncontrolled diabetics. And should be covered. They disagree. Can someone explain to me the difference between hospice and euthanasia? I feel they are getting fed up as my father is taking too long to die.

Once on Hospice there is no dialysis. He still gets his diabetic meds. His kidney's must still be doing something or he would be gone by now. I just lost a classmate because he chose to stop his dialysis. He was gone within two weeks. He was a diabetic as was a GF of mine who chose Hospice and who was on a last ditch effort with dialysis.

Dialysis takes a lot out of a person. With all Dads health problems I really don't think it would have helped anyway.

Medicare will pay 100% of hospice. To be accepted all other life extending/prolonging meds and treatments are stopped in favor of keeping the patient comfortable.

If dad wants the treatments and meds then hospice would be cancelled. Was hospice dad's decision? He may be just plain worn out and tired of fighting. Respect that and be there to support him.
Reply to gladimhere

Hospice is removing life saving equipment and allowing for a natural death. Symptom relief is given. Euthanasia is limited to some states and parts of Europe. The patient gives consent that they want to die through a means to hasten death, special documentation needs to be done, and it comes usually in the form of a medication. The family cannot ask for it.

Your father is definately in hospice care. I am sorry for your anxiety with this. I am currently going through hospice with my brother who has 3 bacterial infections that antibiotics cannot touch. He is also in renal failure. Our objective is quality of life and not quantity of life from prolonged suffering.
Consider utilizing more of the hospice medical pack of pills to relieve anxiety and pain. Those meds will take the place of nitro. Expect with renal failure, that he will sleep more. The renal specialist told us that patients do not suffer as much compared to someone with cancer. They quietly go to sleep.

I think technically euthanasia is only allowed in a few states in this country. I hope your father is not suffering greatly and hospice can keep that from happening. I have a mother who was a Christian Scientist for years. In her case that meant avoiding medical treatment. She spent years thinking she could receive healings with prayer. Two hip replacements, a knee replacement, and several other surgeries she has now decided she needs medicine to continue to live after years of deferred maintenance. My point with this is that if a person neglects a serious medical condition it most likely will catch up with them and the situation cannot be reversed. I understand your emotions. I think cwillie broke it down for you as simply yet thoroughly as possible. I hope whatever is decided for the care proves to be the best solution.
Reply to Riverdale

I don't think you understand what hospice is, once someone's health is as compromised as your father's hospice is usually called in when the decision is made to stop all treatment and allow a natural death. It's about bowing to the inevitable to allow the patient to pass with minimal pain and suffering and not continuing treatments that are futile and which often have a negative impact on the quality of life that is remaining. Some people want to fight til the last breath - that's OK, but that isn't the role of hospice. If you want to continue dialysis and life saving medications then you need to leave the program, but before you do speak to your father about what HE wants, or if he isn't able to tell you then remember what his thoughts on this might have been in the past, this is his decision to make.