DMiller91 Asked April 2015

Why can't a diabetic hold their urine during sleep?

My sister is a diabetic & she has a problem holding her urine in her sleep.It started off as just the urine but now she cant hold her poop neither.I'm trying to figure out the cause of this & also the solution.Any suggestions??

16

Answers

Veronica91 Sep 15, 2017
Ashes it is probably not something you ate causing your problem. Often the smell of something eaten will be smelt in the urine or feces. Color can also come through especially something like beetroot in the urine which changes it's color.
Get thee to the Dr, ASAP

Ashash Sep 15, 2017
I AM HAVING THAT PROBABLY NOW..I THINK IT'S SOMETHING I ATE CAUSE I CSN SMELL IT ANY SUGGESTION

Ashash Sep 15, 2017
I'M A DIABETIC & IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM NOW..I THINK IT'S SOMETHING I ATE CAUSE I COULD SMELL IT...ANY SUGGESTION

Reno55 Apr 2015
If her blood sugar is high, she may be thirsty and drinking a lot. This causes more frequent urination. If she has had diabetes for many years, and not well controlled, she can have neuropathy which can cause lack of control of bowel and bladder. Does she have burning,tingling or numb feet as this is another form of neuropathy which results from uncontrolled diabetes over the years. Also, if she is taking a medication like Invokanna or Farxiga, she could urinate more to lower blood sugar, as this is how these drugs work. Check with her doctor

Bunnyo Apr 2015
Thank you for your answer. I am not Diabetic, but do have incontinence problems. I have had several attempts to try to remedy this problem by going to a specialist. So far I am about 80% well, but my bladder seems to still want to over-fill during the day. Night is great as I sleep all the way through. Like the others, I say, get your loved one to a doctor.
Good luck & God bless.

Veronica91 Apr 2015
Boujeanbaby you have given excellent instruction for dealing with a non draining Foley ctheter but iIdo not feel this is something the average caregiver should attempt. I would advise calling the visiting nurse who changes his catheter.
An indwelling cather can be very irritating and cause spasms and encourage infections. If the caregiver has been properly instructed she can irrigate the catheter safely and this is a good first step before calling the nurse out. Checking for kinks in the tube and massaging any blockage is of course good advice and making sure the bag is not overfull.

Joylee, I admire your generous devotion & TLC you have for your husband. You say he " goes into a bag." Does your husband have a Foley catheter? If so, he shouldn't have "the urge" to go unless his tubing becomes kinked or the balloon that anchors the tubing inside the bladder becomes deflated for some reason, and causes the tubing to begin to slide out. Both of these are simple to fix. If you notice ANY leakage of urine OR your husband says he feels like he has to urine, First check the tubing from its' point of entrance all the way down to the bag. If there is sediment in the tubing, gently massage to tubing to dislodge the sediment (especially the soft rubbery part at the top of the tubing). If you see that the tubing has become kinked, unkink it. If it has been kinked very long, be careful that you do not let more than 900-1000ml out at one time. It can be dangerous. If you get to about 900ml, clamp the tubing & let the rest drain out a little later. Please let me know if this helps. To check if the balloon inside has deflated inside his bladder, you can use a syringe without a needle, place the end in the port on the soft, rubbery part of the tubing, open the port, & usually you don't have to draw the plunger back ( but, you can just pull back on the syringe), as 10 ml of sterile water should fill the syringe. When the balloon is empty, it will stop filling up. Then, you can just put the water back into the balloon. If nothing comes out, the balloon is deflated. Be care when you are checking the placement to keep from pulling the tubing. If you have any questions or need my help, you can msg. me on here by giving me a hug. I will be happy to help you however I can. Good luck! Keep up the good work~! Blou

ferris1 Apr 2015
There are medications that can prevent incontinence and bowel incontinence. Call her doctor and make an appointment. The longer you wait, things may get worse. It might be something wrong other than being diabetic.

Veronica91 Apr 2015
Chimonger has given an indepth explanation but I would add this can be an emergency if someone suddenly begins to experience incontinence of both urine and feces so an evaluation should be fast tracked.

chimonger Apr 2015
At 1st glance, the post mentioned inability to hold urine at night....there are multiple causes, some mentioned in other posts. Didn't see about the poop, until into the post. That can be whole 'nuther issue. Best to get the Doctors to evaluate--might need to go through a few, to get better answers/solutions.
But check into these, and look up some information online, too, to prepare to help that process:
===DEFICIENT ANTIDIURETIC HORMONE: One cause for enuresis [spilling urine] which can affect anyone who's experienced high fevers from infections during their lifetime, and/or high stress life, etc.. This could be related to "adrenal burnout", not commonly thought of or looked at by Docs. --- Something the Adrenals handle: Antidiuretic hormone, secreted while we sleep. Damaged or 'tired' adrenals fail to secrete this properly, so production rate of urine stays at daytime rates while sleeping, causing person to have full bladder several times nightly. While sleeping, all muscles relax, usually; a full bladder can easily dump it's contents. This hormone can also be secreted in a dysfunctional pattern, which can contribute to enuresis at any time of the day or night. ---- There is a prescription antidiuretic hormone nasal spray one can use to help this, used at bedtime; usually prescribed by a urologist, but any Medical Doc can Rx this. -- One child-size patient I know, the parent actually put one squirt of that expensive liquid in a dropper bottle of distilled water, and gave a few drops under the tongue, instead of squirting up the nose --it worked, not only for compliance, but made it more affordable.
===BLADDER, URETHRA, VAGINA INFECTIONS: Yeast/Candida infections, and other germs, can be common, are often missed as causative for enuresis [inability to control urination]. -- Yeasts/Candida is infective and irritant on the linings of the urethra and bladder, as well as the vagina, and can spread easily from one location to another....and may not cause any itching or pain. One simple fix might be: Plain full-fat yogurt, like Mountain High [common grocery item], or other brand that has a wide variety of live cultures, on a peripad next to, or applied plain directly to, the area including the urethra, vagina and rectum [Berkeley Women's Clinic advice for women's yeast infections]--that might need reapplication daily for a few days, but usually not long.
===NEUROLOGIC ILLS: can cause the bladder and/or the rectum to become spastic or slack, or anything in between. The feeling of "gotta go" is so sudden and may be so strong IF they get a signal, it's too late to find/get to, a facility to use. This can happen any time of day or night. THESE conditions need evaluated...MS, Lupus, Diabetic neuropathies and others, can be evaluated and sometimes, solutions found, like that pacemaker for the bladder.
===ALLERGIES or SENSITIVITIES: consider if this is happening in certain patterns or seasons or, if the person has consumed certain things which might be allergenic or sensitizing, this might be evaluated. You could simply try removing the foods or drink that seem to be triggering it.
OR, it could be something like using a different soap or lotion on their bottom, or bathing with a perfumed product...those can be extremely irritant. If panties, or other cloth or paper used next to the bottom, is laundered using many standard laundry products, many people develop not only rashes, but spastic, painful, and/or numbed nerves controlling their 'nether-regions'. Some people react badly to many toilet paper brands, related to the bleaches or perfumes used to make them.
===MECHANICAL/LAXATIVE: One who normally eats low-fat diet, then celebrates by eating or drinking a high-fat food or drink, such as Homemade, High-fat Eggnog [or heavily Buttered toast, or?], can suddenly experience that "sinking feeling" as the stuff gets fast-tracked to the rear exit by the body's digestive tract.
Hope you learn what is causing it!
Losing control of one's effluent is terribly embarrassing. It's best to find cause, and try to do something to remedy it, if possible.