My stepdad just passed, and I'm taking care of my mom.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ok. So what if parent appointed DPOA when mind was clear. Now parent is exhibiting signs of Paranoia ie daughter appointed DPOA whom live near parent and does what ever is needed is accused of stealing. Which bank told parent is not true but parent continues to have a vendetta against this daughter. With these symptoms can daughter whom not appointed and encouraging parent of these accusations have her change her change paper work.
Helpful Answer (0)

I agree with Bonnie, if you can afford to go to an attorney get a healthcare power of attorney which deals with all aspects of your mother's care--that is when she is able to think for herself and when she is not, and also have a will or a property power of attorney so that you have access to her monies for her care without having to consult the brother. If you accept this responsibility, you need to be willing to work very hard. With respect to the legal documents, if you do not have money to pay an attorney, some of the elder facilities, like a Senior Center in your community or your mother's community, may have attorneys who help with the legal docs and will give you powers of attorney which you can complete yourself, depending on your state's laws. I believe the cost is less than hiring an attorney. My advice is get this all done while your mother has a good, clear mind so the brother, or anyone else, cannot accuse you of manipulating someone who could not think clearly.
Helpful Answer (2)

Yes, I'd get your mom to a lawyer and get POAs for both healthcare and property set up and signed. Also do a living will, that specifies what kind of care she wants near the end of her life (would she want a feeding tube for example). Get it all set up now so that you don't have to worry down the road. Good luck!!
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter