I want to change my Mom's bank to my bank. When I went to open account for Mom and myself my bank and my credit union wouldnt allow me to. They said because she wasnt an existing customer and couldnt sign for herself, the POA didnt matter, I couldnt open an account with her name on it. What good is the POA? Is this legal? What can I do?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
The only other option I know of is to become her "Representative Payee" through Social Security. You will be able to get her a new account at any bank/credit union. You would be responsible for paying all of her bills and you MUST account for where the money is spent. The account would say something like "You're name, Rep. Payee for your mom's name."

I did it for my mom and had no problems. Make an apt with Soc. Sec. your mom will have to be present and you will need important info of hers and yours to set it up. Once you get an authorization letter that you have been chosen as her Rep. Payee, you can go to any bank and set up an account and use the letter to close out the old account. Blessings
Helpful Answer (0)

This is just a guess .. if your POA allows you to facilitate her finances, maintain the account(s) that already exist .. put your name on it .. and then open a new one at a branch close to you, so that you can easily transfer the money from one account to another, if that's what's needed.

Major caveat: Just because you have POA, it doesn't give you carte blanche to spend her money. Document every transfer of funds, and all expenditures. If anyone ever does an audit (whether family members or medicaid in their 5-year back track), you have to be able to justify everything you spend as part of HER expenses. Otherwise, you risk legal consequences, like fraud charges.

You say she "can't sign for herself" .. is that physically? or has it been determined that she is no longer mentally capable of making those decisions. Just having a POA doesn't determine HER mental status. What makes the bank think she "can't" sign? *IF* she is no longer lucid enough for financial or medical decisions, the POA's role is to carry out *her* wishes and provide for *her* care. If you have other family members who might question your duties/actions, be sure to include them in any decisions .. BEFORE you make them. Get agreements .. in writing. If she's coming to live in your home and you're hoping to cover the expenses of caring for her, document them. How much different is it than if you lived alone? Are you giving up a job to care for her? In some states, you canNOT take compensation for caring for your mom, even if it's fulltime, so check out the regulations where you live.

I know this answer goes beyond the scope of your question, but take care. And, let us know how it goes. We all learn from each others' experiences.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter