What are average staffing ratios at Memory Care Centers?

I have recently inquired into a couple local Memory Care Facilities and on day and evening shifts the staff to pt ratios were 1:6 and 1:8. On nights the staff to pt ratio was 1:18 and 1:15. That night shift ratio sounds like a lot of ALZ/Dementia pts for one staff person to care for. Am I way off base or is this the average? I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

20

Answers

I understand your concerns but as long as there are people like you to take advantage of there will always be abuse. You need a job where those in charge care for the residents and the employees. Don't be a doormat or someone will always give you a floor to lay on.

I work in a critical care facility in a locked Alzheimer's and dementia ward. On the men's unit there are 11 residents and our woman's has ten. The men's unit there are 4 "fall risks" and 9 with violent behaviors. Woman's all but one are basically one on one and violent. I have tried and tried to get our head nurse to have more than one aid but she refuses. She always puts any extra help we have on the front units. Mind you our front units out of the 30+ people only 9 need any assistance. Our problem lies in the locked units. State where I live said it was to be 2 aids for ever 10 residents. I have been physically attacked by our residents on numerous occasions and management does nothing. I've called state 3 times in 3 months and they get out of it. They overwork staff which causes a severe lack of care to the residents due to staff calling in or staff is falling asleep. I have reported abuse to both my management as well as state even went so far as to report it to family members. Still some how some way they keep getting away with it. I work 16 hour shifts without a single break and they continue to take money from my check for a break I didn't take. I won't quit because I care about these people and know if I leave they will not be cared for. I need help! I don't know who to contact to get the residents and staff the help they need. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

But, they are not getting the care they deserve, not by caregivers,we have to skip showers because we don't have eyes on all of them. I think osha should be called, for safty. I work 6-2pm, we dress them, shower them, serve 2 meals, put laundry away.

Joni, each state develops its own staffig standards. This is from the Florida laws:

STAFFING STANDARDS

The following chart outlines the minimum ALF staff hours per week as required by Chapter 58A-5, F.A.C.:

Number of Residents Staff
Hours/Week

0 - 5 168
6 - 15 212
16 - 25 253
26 - 35 294
36 - 45 335
46 - 55 375
56 - 65 416
66 - 75 457
76 - 85 498
86 - 95* 539
*For every 20 residents over 95 add 42 staff hours per week.

In addition to the minimum staff hours per week, ALFs are required to maintain the following staffing standards:

At least one staff member who has access to facility and resident records in case of an emergency must be in the facility at all times when residents are in the facility. Residents serving as paid or volunteer staff may not be left solely in charge of other residents while the facility administrator, manager or other staff are absent from the facility.

In facilities with 17 or more residents, there must be one staff member awake at all hours of the day and night.

At least one staff member who is trained in First Aid and CPR, as provided under Rule 58A-5.0191, F.A.C., must be in the facility at all times when residents are in the facility.

During periods of temporary absence of the administrator or manager when residents are on the premises, a staff member who is at least 18 years of age, must be designated in writing to be in charge of the facility.
Notwithstanding the minimum staffing requirements specified above, all facilities, including those composed of apartments, must have enough qualified staff to provide resident supervision, and to provide or arrange for resident services in accordance with the residents scheduled and unscheduled service needs, resident contracts, and resident care standards as described in Rule 58A-5.0182, F.A.C.

I work in memory Care facility, we have 21 residents, some are very aggressive and the company thinks 2 people staff is enough, we have 4 residents that need to people assist, while we are getting them up, we have residents that go behind the counter getting hot coffee, going into other residents rooms, because we are not allowed to lock their rooms, which they can get out. But sometimes im by myself with one nurse and she has the whole building, 320 rooms. I don't think that is legal. It's embarrassing when family comes in and i can't locate their family member, because I'm trying to get a resident out of someones room. I have had been attacked, knives pulled out one me, butter knife, still a knife. I think we should have at least 3 workers.

The SNF I am familiar is 1:10 during the day and 1:35 at night. The ratios you quote are excellent.

Does Oklahoma have a fixed nurse, caregiver/memory care patient ratio?

Restraints aren't safe for dementia clients. However there are alternatives to restraints.

In the Seattle area there are lots of Adult Family Homes. An AFH has only six residents (I think), and it is my experience that the care can be much better than at a large facility. If I were looking for a spot for my Mom, I would want to know about the other residents, meet the aides ( check their CNA certifications- you can look that up- even so, trust your instincts), check the home's history for any disciplinary action, make sure the kitchen is well stocked and the aides know how to cook ( I say this because I'm a lousy cook, and fixed some not so good meals when I worked in a AFH)- some homes will have a separate cook.

I really appreciate all your comments as this is in future for hubby w alz. I was wondering how do we find out what state people are in? I live in WA state so love to hear of good places ahead of time to check places & prices. Also can people not name places & how do I talk to spec person on agingcare?