Are there any agencies that would assist financially in installing a whole house generator?

I ask before - no response. But, I have an invalid wife - Age 75. Stage 4 breast cancer, into her lungs and bones. 24 hrs oxygen, and blind. Any loss of home power - if I am not here - would be detrimental and life critical to her. Question? Are there any Agencies, Medicare, Tricare, VA, IRS, etc. that would assist financially in installing a whole house generator. WE would need at least the 1st floor. Help...

6

Answers

Garden Artist,
Really impressed with your experienced answer!
Reply to Sendhelp

I would:

1. Ask your DME oxygen supplier to increase the number of backup E tanks at your house. If she's on 2 liter flow, an E tank is supposed to last about 6 hours, or 4 per day. I ordered a dozen tanks last time. That would be enough for 2 days.

2. Research motels in your area and find out which have standby generators. An ambulance could transport her to a motel for the duration of the power failure. Even though it would be costly, it is a solution.

When this happened to us, I called several different places, for about 3 hours, before finding a place to take my father. EMS would only take him to a hospital if he was in respiratory distress already. I wasn't going to wait for that to happen.

Some of the charities like Salvation Army offered shelter, but I would have had to bring all the tanks myself, and make sure that we found a spot close to an electrical outlet. I also didn't think that being with a lot of strangers would have been a good option.

SNFs wouldn't consider taking him; he had to have a chest x-ray in the last month, and there was no guaranty they would take him. In fact, they refused - didn't want the responsibility. And one was a SNF to which I had taken him for 4 - 5 times post hospitalization.

The option that did work was provided by caring MOW staff, who contacted a local AL facility that offered free shelter for several days until power was back on. Obviously there's a possible benefit to them as they're looking for residents.

Given your wife's condition rather than installing a whole house generator - which can easily cost $10K - my contingency plan would be to have enough oxygen available to last until I am able call 911 to have her transported to hospital.

First question is should your wife be left alone? If you have a power loss, just like several hundred people in your community, you will need to put her on tanks and get her to some location. (your contingency plan)
Second is about that generator. Do you realize that you need to check with zoning laws for proper location? This should be done before you seek donations. Do you have a source for natural gas because other fuels will only last an hour or two?

Not to my knowledge.
Reply to Shane1124

Call the Area Agency on Aging for ideas and suggestions.
Reply to gladimhere