Follow

I don't know how many of you watch a program called " My Fat Fabulous Life" but the mother of daughter (daughter named Whitney), had a stroke (her second in 5 years) last year.

What do you think is the prognosis for her mom to have a full recovery in light of this second stroke was worse then the first?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I had a stoke last year. The therapists talked about recovery but it was soon clear they meant accommodation. I did a search for "stroke treatment", but there some
returns that spoke hopefully of actual treatment. My focus now is on finding someone who uses TMS to help repair the brain.
Prognosis depends on traing and philosophy of the providers.
(0)

This is what I want to know

We are waiting for my mom to recover so I can FINALLY leave home but I just don't think she will because the stroke screwed her up permanently

She will probably die soon
(0)

It really depends on so many factors. My dad had a stroke shortly after his heart surgery. It depends on what area of the brain is affected by the stroke.

He went to rehab and speech therapy. He was never the same after his stroke.
(0)

Update:

Sadly Whitney's mom passed, Dec 8.

RIP. Mrs. Babs
(1)

@Fawnby
my hubby had brain stem stroke. Docs said rare type of stroke and he was lucky to be even alive.

I never did like the word “recovery”. My head translates recovery as return to prior of event. Short of God touching hubby recovery not going to happen here.

I think the hand/foot analogy is the best description I have ever heard how the brain compensates from stroke damage. I will use it in the future.
(0)

Thank you all for the responses. It is just sad to see how she is compared to how she has been in the past. Hopefully, Whitney has been made aware of this.
(0)

Unlikely. I've taken care of a stroke patient and now taking care of another one. I know people who have had strokes. There can be a lot of discussion about how they want to make a full recovery (verbiage usually not from the doctors who know better, only from the patient). They can work hard at rehab. They can show improvement. But full recovery? No. The brain will only do what it can do. All the will power in the universe can't help the brain grow new cells. Other parts of the brain can and do take over for the injured part, but it's kind of like losing your hand and expecting your foot to take over some of the hand's chores. It can do it, but not very well because a foot is not meant to take over for a hand. The follow-on issues after stroke also come into play: contracture of the muscles, which causes pain and instability; inability to attend to one side so that they don't think to look in the car's side mirror; dementia. These things can happen years after the actual stroke or maybe right away.
(1)

I do watch that show when I remember it's on, only because I live 25 minutes from Greensboro, NC where it's filmed.
Her mom will never "fully recover" as you can tell if you watch the show and have seen her progress. While she has made great strides in her recovery, she will never be back to the way she was, that much is quite obvious.
My late husband had a massive stroke at the age of 48, and was never the same again, and that was despite lots of PT, OT and speech therapy. He lost his ability to to walk, talk, read and write, and was paralyzed on his right side, but thankfully because of his young age, did learn how to walk again with the help of a leg brace, and regained very limited speech, but never could read or write(other than print his name)and never regained use of his right arm/hand.
He was 72 when he died in Sept. 2020 of vascular dementia.
And that unfortunately is something that "Babs" may have to deal with also in the future, as folks that have had a stroke are at much higher risk of developing dementia.
(3)

Although I knew about the two types of stroke, I hadn't come across descriptions of 'red' & 'white' before. Makes it easy to picture & understand. Thanks ☺️
(1)

Funny coincidence - I used to watch that show and was wondering how
Whitney is doing today but I couldn't remember her name to google it.

Given that my mom's silent strokes came up to bite her on the azz in the form of dementia I think that even when there appears to be a complete recovery there will be damage left behind.
(1)

Q: Will you ever be the same after a stroke?

A: Recovery time after a stroke is different for everyone—it can take weeks, months, or even years. Some people recover fully, but others have long-term or lifelong disabilities.

It also depends on what type of stroke Babs had, a "red" or a "white" stroke.
https://cardiosound.com/stroke-survivors

What percentage of stroke patients make a full recovery?

With the right amount of rehabilitation, a person's speech, cognitive, motor and sensory skills can steadily be recovered. Although just 10% of people fully recover from a stroke, 25% have only minor impairments and 40% have moderate impairments that are manageable with some special care.

Q: Can you survive multiple strokes?

A: After five years, 72.1 percent passed, and at 7 years, 76.5 percent of survivors died. The study found that those who had multiple strokes had a higher mortality rate than those who suffered from other health issues, like cardiovascular disease.
(4)

Fil had strokes in 2020 and 2022. He went from functioning generally at about a level of 7 to anywhere within a 1 and 3 the first time on the mobility scale. He eventually got to the point where he could use the bathroom by himself and even walk out into his back yard with just a cane.

Then the second stroke happened. He’s back to being about a 2.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter