Follow

Just read this article this morning. It sounds promising, especially the rental: 30% of an individual's income.

A lot of the features of AL are shared, but other than maintenance, it doesn't appear that there are employees such as would be found in AL. Apparently the residents would have to be somewhat more self sufficient and "able bodied."

A much smaller unit could create more bonding, but it could also create more friction as residents interact more closely than in a larger facility where people can liberally be anonymous.

And, there would be only one gender, which could be better or worse, depending on the type of friendly interaction the residents want.

There would also still have to be a corporate or similar entity to fund the construction and handle the maintenance, so it wouldn't entirely be a Golden Girls situation.

I see both benefits and drawbacks; I'm interested in what others feel. Good idea? Doomed to failure? How could the concept be improved?

One thing I would definitely want to see is a garden, wheelchair accommodated, of course. I think residents could become much closer with common goals, and producing one's food and flowers can do that.

Costs might be saved on transit, especially for wheelchair bound people. The management could negotiate with local assisted transport as a sole source contractor, which would also provide one specific company as opposed to public transit (which isn't always available in some communities), and gambling on finding a good transportation service.

(I just experienced that when an ambulance non-EMS service forgot about the commitment.)

I would also think that local Girl and Boy Scout troops as well as Senior Centers might work together to provide more community support.

Please share your thoughts; I'm really interested on others' opinions on this concept. I can a lot of work, but I can also see a lot of benefits, for aging individuals as well as communities.

And thanks for contributing.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I read that article too. My thoughts are that it could work, perhaps a compound of smaller homes , villa's or mobile homes, with two residents that were personality matched. 3 residents formulate the take sides issues, especially with the elderly who suffer from dementia. The Golden Girls as noted is a good example of the constant bickering and taking sides issue.

The home noted was around 3000 sq ft with 3 residents and there are already issues and they have not lived together very long and there was a buy in.
The average 65+ has very little saved, an average of $162K. Most average $1,200 in SS and some have a small pension, or some investment income.

I actually have thought of buying a mobile home park and setting up a similar program, small park in Florida, no more than 100 homes. May still do it.
(0)

It’s interesting. Almost sounds like a senior citizen college dorm with the shared quarters.

Could be great or could be disastrous. I love the huge reduction in price! That opens the door to many and gives a wonderful alternative to a nursing home, living independently or living with children.
(1)

I like it. Assuming each private suite has it's own heat/cooling zone, enough insulation to sound proof it TVs played too loud, is large enough for a small sitting area and the bath could have a walk in tub I could probably be content here. My biggest challenge would probably be sharing the kitchen... I like to cook for others but I don't like cooking every day so I usually cook family sized meals and reheat for Mom and I from the leftovers. Still this would be so much better than sharing a single room as many do in some ALs.

When I was in my 20s I rented a small house in an older section of town. My landlady (87 when I moved in) lived next door in the house she raised her children in and the lady across the street was 93 and had lived in her house over 60 years too. Mobility and vision issues basically isolated these ladies in their homes, yet neither was interested in moving to a senior apartment or attending senior center programs. My landlady did have visits from her daughters and the lady across the street had a hired helper but they were still alone most of the time. I thought it was very sad to be so alone when they didn't have to be.
(1)

GA, I have thought about this for myself. It is an attractive alternative. At this point I don't know how I would like it. I am still recovering from caregiving and enjoy my privacy and quiet too much. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever recover.
(2)

I thought I posted the link to the article, but apparently I didn't.   My apologies, but thanks to the thoughtful person who P'M'ed me.   Mea culpa!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/real-life-golden-girls-how-millennial-co-living-plans-could-ease-americas-aging-crisis/ar-BBXk5WX?ocid=spartanntp#image=BBXk3yV|3
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter