Daughter1926 Asked June 2012

How can I give up my Power of Attorney?

I can no longer handle the stress of dealing with my 86 year old demented father. He was put in a nursing home today, but I know w/in 21 days he will be released and will return to his own home where he will continue to be a danger to himself. I don't care that he is a danger to himself; I honestly to don't care about anything that happens to am any more. I have given up nearly 2 yers of my life dealing with his issues and I have had it. My brother is also unable/unwilling to be his POA. How do I remove myself from this legally?

51

Answers

1 3 4 5
DTRof90yrmother Jan 27, 2018
I am in the same boat with you guys, my 90 years old mother have been drive me crazy. I am thinking get out of the POA, but do not know how to do it, and not sure what the process and consequence will be. It is hard decision. I live in California, is any one know the POA law in California?
Reply to DTRof90yrmother

Lorraine2 Nov 2, 2017
This was posted 5 years ago?? Is your Dad still with us??and so sad if you can't handle him it's understood that's why there is nursing homes...you have to have his doctor say he's a danger to himself and can not be alone
Reply to Lorraine2

Overcaring1 Nov 2, 2017
Wow! Have these posts ever helped me. Reading them, I felt I had written them. I now know I am not the only person going thru these same things.
Reply to Overcaring1

Dustien Dec 2016
Great, I'm doing it again...answering old posts. Guess it helps folks today who are in the same boat though. Wonder if Daughter ever did walk away and what happened to "not so dear old dad?"
Reply to Dustien

Dustien Dec 2016
Opps, make that "you don't want him to fret thinking something has happened to you (not him).
Reply to Dustien

Dustien Dec 2016
Daughter, sounds like you've done enough for an ungreatful father. Two years...and no thanks. Yup, fill out the form, and try to forget he exists. Rather like Scrooge's business partner, Marley... you add to the length of heavy chains that bind later in life link by link by the choices you make in life. If his chains are heavy, you are NOT EXPECTED to carry them for him. Walk away and don't look back. Fortunately you can do that in your state.

However, before you go, If he's not so demented that he doesn't know you and can't read anything I'd sit and spill out all that he has done in life that lead you to this sad but inevitable decision. You don't want him to fret thinking something has happened to him. Leave it with the official signed form giving up POA.

Let him know he is on his own, that you are now out of the picture and are not coming back that it's time for you to leave him and his negativity and past bad behaviors behind before you get totally tangled up in those heavy chains with him.
Reply to Dustien

You write a letter to the grantor, stating that you no longer want to serve as proxy, effective immediately. Hand deliver it or send it by certified mail.

Think about whether you have any records of financial or legal management of the grantor's affairs, and if you need to provide documentation on your actions thus far (assuming that you have in fact been undertaking some financial or legal actions).

hell1943 Dec 2016
I'm the acting power of attorney
How do I get out of it
Reply to hell1943

hell1943 Dec 2016
I'm the acting power of attorney, how do I revoke it
Reply to hell1943

jandrew Oct 2016
my brother was hospitalised in april because he almost died he lost a lot of weight down to 108 from 160 plus lack of hi meds he has recovered he was supposed to stay with us until he got better then find his own place but he asked to stay with us permanently we agreed he is no longer capable of working hi benefits for hi meds will run out in dec 216 I asked him if he was concerned where he would get the money to pay for his meds that's your job your my p.o.a he said he will not go outside for a walk he gets out of bed sits on the couch watches tv till lunch from the table to the couch from the couch to the table for supper then back to the couch then to bed at one o, clock he will not take a shower unless my husband asks him my husband then has to put cream on his arms and legs because he has a rash from not washing there are other issues my husband and I retired and on a fixed income we have had enough how do we get out of being p.o.a we live in Ontario canada
Reply to jandrew

1 3 4 5