How can I get Power of Attorney over my senile mother?

Asked by
Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
If she has diagnosed dementia, you will likely need to see an elder law attorney or estate attorney. You may even have to go to court. Legal advice is likely to be necessary, anyway.

Take care,
believe it or not, it is easier than you think. I am my father's P.O.A and have D.P.O.A and I was able to obtain these through the hospital by talking to a social worker there. they had all the papers ready the next day and my father signed them knowing he was unable to care for any legal or financial obligations any more. I am sure if you call her Dr. and ask if he can give you a referral to the social worker at your hospital, you will obtain these very easily as long as your mother is in agreement.
This is tough because usually you are not suppose to have them sign if they are not thinking with a clear and stable mind. I would try downloading a form from legalzoom or and see how far you can go.
My Mother has late stage Alzheimers and can no longer sign her name. I have seen a lawyer and am trying to get a Guardianship so I can legally take care of her affairs. It will cost about $1,500.00, but if there is no one to contest, it should go smoothly. The best way is to get Power of Attorney before they get they are so advanced.
You might need guardianship instead if she really can't give POA . Just having a little memory loss or "mild cognitive impariment" would not rule out her giving you a POA, but if she realy can't do it legitimately, go for the guardianship. The expense for a good eldercare attorney will pay off later - you want one who knows medicare/medicaid in your state like the back of his/her hand - I found an excellent one jut around the conrner from me, by looking up and reading web sites and blogs where you could tell they knew their stuff or not.
Granny, your husband can appoint you to be his POA as long as he is of clear mind. If yes, then call around to the different Elder Law Attorney offices in your area to see if they have an Attorney who can go to the hospital [or where ever your husband is staying] to see if a POA could be drawn up.

I believe your mother needs to be of "sound mind" to be able to agree to sign over Power of Attorney to you. I am not sure what you can do if that is not the case.
btw: I do not think the term "senile" is used anymore...
Lilliput, Thank you so much for telling me the term "senile" was not used anymore, I am sure that will help me a lot, knowing that I used the wrong term
You are so welcome...good luck with your mother. Financial planning, etc. is just another "thing" caregivers have to deal with. I hope your Mother's dementia is not too advanced.
Alot of this depends on what your overall family situation is. If you and your siblings are all in agreement on mom's care then doing a simple form like from the social worker should be fine. As long as everybody is all kum-ba-ya.

However if mom has been diagnosed with dementia, she does NOT have the cognitive abilities to do a DPOA. So it could be challenged in court.

You are best spending the money and seeing a elder law attorney. You should get a DPOA, MPOA, "incapacity in case of guardianship" statement done also. When you go take her will, funeral & burial and financial statements too so he can evaluate them too. Good luck.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support