cahernjr Asked August 2010

We need to find a simple microwave that my mother can use. Need auto shut off as she falls asleep during process. Recommendations?

We had to shut off her oven and stove because she almost burned the house down after leaving food in oven at 500 degrees. Just yesterday, she ignited yet another fire in the microwave by putting food in for 45 minutes then falling asleep. She is deaf and has no sense of smell and thus cannot tell if something is burning or an alarm has gone off. We need something safe that can shut off automatically and hopefully keep her and our home safe. Help!

27

Answers

1 3
Heidilea Dec 2016
I ordered a Safe-T-Sensor from Pioneering Technologies.
It includes an outlet jack and a sensor that attaches to the microwave. When the sensor detects smoke from the microwave, the connected outlet jack turns off power to the outlet.

Snydley Nov 2016
Hello All,
Our 88 year old Dad with dementia has meals on wheels. As someone said, you never know what adventure will be when we or the aides are there. A plastic container with his brown sugar for his coffee took out his microwave. Took hours to get the charred smell of brown sugar and plastic out of the house. We are going to try this microwave....
Hugs to all who are keeping parents safe in their homes as long as possible!!!

Sunnygirl1 Jul 2016
Tdaniel, you say your mom overcooked food in the microwave and smoked the house. Does that mean that she was alone at the time? I ask, because, when my cousin was trying to still use her microwave, I had also turned off the breaker to stove, dryer, etc. I was afraid that she would put forks, spoons, remote, aluminum foil, etc. into the microwave.

Plus, if they are that impaired mentally, I'm not sure how you can trust that they wouldn't stick something metal in an outlet or eat some nonfood item that might make them sick.

I just wonder if it's prudent to keep accommodating a person who's symptoms are saying they need constant supervision. I realize that everyone values their independence, but to me sometimes the risk are too scary.

missjulia Jul 2016
I found an expensive answer - commercial break room microwaves: amazon

sharpusa

They only max at 6 minutes and have dial or preset time options. worth my piece of mind

One of my clients covered up all the buttons except for one that only heats for a couple minutes with a piece of white cardboard and painters tape. You can see a photo of his hack on my business facebook page; Daily Dementia Caregivers.
Eventually his mother forgot about using the microwas. Simple and cheap is the way if you are going to buy a microwave for use by a person with memory loss.

tdaniel Jun 2016
We have turned off the breakers to the stove and the oven for my mother's safety, but yesterday, she apparently set the microwave too long for what she was heating and smoked the house. We're worried if she could start a fire by over cooking in the microwave. We'd like to find a microwave that she could not push 30 minutes instead of 3 minutes. A microwave that only has the selection button: popcorn, pizza, beverage etc etc without the option of setting time.

AVandrimme Apr 2016
...Buttons allowing her to choose up only a few minutes. Long enough to oversomething but not long enough to start a fire. Good luck!
by not en

AVandrimme Apr 2016
Hello look on amazon for commercial microwaves - some have only a few butt

One of my clients' adult son put stiff white paper over all the settings, except for the one which shuts off after three minutes. His mother accepted that solution. Now she no longer remembers how to use the microwave, I thought his solution was ingenious and super cheap. No need to buy another microwave.

freqflyer Apr 2016
What my Mom did any time she had anything cooking in the oven, on the stove top or in the microwave, she would set her LOUD portable kitchen timer and carried it with her. It was a standard routine for her the past 70 some years. That thing would scare the daylights out of you :P

1 3