We need to move my dad into a senior community, we need to find out the rules on selling his house to a relative. Who would we talk to.

Started by


3930 helpful answers
I would talk with an estate attorney, as this may affect is Medicaid standing. If the price is fair market, I would not think it would matter. If it's cheaper than fair market, Medicaid may consider a portion of it a "gift." Just to be safe check with an attorney. Either estate or an elder attorney should work, but this seems to be in the realm of an estate attorney.
Carol's advice is the same as mine. My DPOA SIL consulted an attorney because she wanted one of my MIL's grandchildren to get my MIL's house & at that time, my MIL was going into a nursing home (NH).

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support