This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Is the money combined? If so, you may want a legal opinion. If it's your mom's money, but your name is on the account, they will just treat it as her account (I believe - state laws affect Medicaid, too). Anyway, you will have to let them know about the accounts, so if you need legal help try an elder law attorney. When you've combined money, it gets trickier.
Good luck,
Helpful Answer (0)

How are the accounts set up?

If it's as Minding said: the account is your mom's and you a just a signature on the account that should be OK for medicaid.

But if the accounts are co-mingled then it's a problem. Co-mingled would be that whatever $ your mom gets (like SS, a retirement annunity, etc) gets deposited into an account that you also get payments in or you use to pay for things that are entirely your own debts. Also your $ can be viewed as income for mom. This can take lots of time to resolve and paperwork to prove who's $$ is whose.

You need to have her accounts only with her assets. And yours with your income.

If you are having mom's $ pay for your expenses as compensation for taking care of her, it can get sticky and has IRS implications. You can have a personal services contract done to legally establish your compensation.

If you co-own property together, it gets sticky too. You really should see an elder care attorney who practices in the county where she owns property to sort this all out and guide you before you apply for Medicaid.

Towards the end of my mom's IL, she had spent down her $$ and was about 200 - 300 short a month. I would deposit $$$ every 3 mos to cover the shortage when I was in town.
I had to write a letter detailing that those checks were NOT income but a gift.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter