Is there any talc or cream which can help reduce diaper rashes caused due to scratching and dampness of diaper?

38

Answers

1 2 3 4
I'd like to add a statement to my earlier comment, sandy70, the yeast thing you're talking about might get some help from the women's aisle. There are several ointments for a yeast infection for women. Look on the aisle in the grocery store and see which ones over pericare for women and deals with yeast infection specifically. You should find an ointment there that would help but just don't let your husband see that you're using "women's vaginal yeast med". lol It might not set well with him and he may not let you use it. Men are funny about some things. It the med turns out to be a douche, I'm sure it would be ok to take a sponge or clean cotton cloth and wash his area with the liquids. Put the douche med in a bowl and just bathe him with it, then rinse and dry with either a soft cloth or heat lamp. That should help as well.

The key to the calazime paste is to apply very sparingly. When you use too much it makes it worse. My hubby seems to be allergic to plastic backed surfaces, like diapers, pull ups and disposable pads . If I stick to cottonand use the calizine paste he doesn't get the rash or fungus or whatever it is.

Any ointment with at least 40% zinc oxide in it will do the trick. Great stuff. Talc is only good when he's "airing out" but balls up when covered and he starts sweating. the zinc oxide will create a barrier and the urine or sweat won't hurt his skin. If he is in bad shape, wash the area, dry it, and put a heat lamp on it for 20min at a time several times a day to dry it out and heal it. In between the heat treatments use the zinc oxide for the barrier. He'll be in fine shape in no time.

i agree with Lolli50 - admittedly i was surprised to see someone else used it! We've used it for years: "Butt Paste". It's also available at CVS. It helps to heal, not just act as a water / chaffing barrier. VERY soothing - whether the problem is due to diarrhea, acidity / loose bowel movements or 'chaffing'. It truly has been more effective than any zine oxide based products, or even vaseline. Very much worth a try.

Try a dermatologist RX, Clobetasol. It's an ointment.

Thanks everyone. Yes, dad did see a dermatologist, he is diabetic and not incontenant. It is a yeast type of thing we have been told. He has been sleeping without pants for about 4 months. I feel that the fluconase ointment always keeps it wet and in my mind, defeating the whole yeast issue. He showers every other day and the dermatologist said not to wash the area in the non shower days. He does wear depends shields but most days it is dry. I am going to do some research, thanks for all the helpful info. Didn't know about diabetes and yeast infections.

Ask her dermatologist to give her an RX for an ointment.

Medline Remedy lotions/creams. Medline Remedy Phytopiex Skin Protectant Paste or Remedy Olivamine Calazime are good for rashes caused by urine or stool. Also, the Remedy Olivine Skin Repair cream was recommended to me by the doctor at a wound care clinic to help my mom with skin tears. It is the best lotion I've ever used. Smells good too.

Butte Paste-really- and Aquaphor are good stand by's that are basically zinc based. There is a French line Mustela-for mothers and babies but great for adults too that has amazing natural products, what you are looking for in several versions-weights- and PhysiObébé that is an awesome, rinse free cleanser-if you can find it... check online-some Target's carry it but not the entire line. Every nurse I have had use this loves it and wants nothing else after! I use it myself -very gentle and super hydrating.No need for lotion after this for cleansing.A little goes a long way!
I would check Amazon for best prices.
As said before please no talc products they cause cancer and many are being recalled and there is a class action lawsuit against Shower to Shower, Johnson's so look for talc FREE! Best of luck not a fun issue, butt (pun intended) one we must deal with!

Rosebush, that sounds excruciatingly uncomfortable for him. I would think that anything you have been using that long without helping is hardly worth continuing. Is the doctor you have seen a dermatologist? I think I would be prepared to try something drastic, when babies have a terrible rash they sometimes recommend leaving them without a diaper for long periods, is there any routine to your dad's incontinence so that you could just leave him in loose boxers for a few hours every day... keeping the area dry would be the main focus. BTW, is he by chance diabetic? It seems yeast infections often plague those who have trouble controlling their blood sugar.
And I agree with the people who use zinc oxide creams, they heal, soothe and create a barrier all in one.

1 2 3 4