Is there a problem with my father (90) falling asleep in their chair many times during the day?

And then also sleeping all night? It is possible that your elderly loved one has a sleep disorder like sleep apnea. Even if they seem to sleep through the night, people with sleep apnea are not really getting restorative sleep, so they are tired during the daytime.

52

Answers

Hi BJ,
My mom is 90, and I live with her. She has CHF. As time passes, she sleeps more and more. She will just nod out in her chair, mouth wide open (lol), or she will fall asleep with her book open.
Or, sometimes she will actually go to bed to take a nap during the day. Because I have been with her for a year now, I have watched the naps become more often, and longer. Sometimes I think it could be a little depression, and other times I just think her body needs to sleep. Just like ME! smile

Ok, her final cause of death will probably by Heart Failure with CHF, or Ischemic Cardiomyopathy with CHF. Get ready for it. Remember before you die, you get sick. If she sleeps frequently be aware that this is normal for her. Let her sleep. Love her. Be in her company as often as you can, for the day will come, sooner or later when she will fall asleep for the last time.

I am ninety years old. I live alone and manage quite well. However, lately I found I am short of breath and I am sleepy most of the time. I HATE being sleepy, it makes me have difficulty thinking. I want to be mentally alert. Whoever it was that said she was looking forward to old age must be very young. I can tell you it is no fun.

Hi it sounds like my Dad used to do, I don't think that's abnormal,
It probably has to do with age.

It is possible that your loved one has a sleep disorder like sleep apnea. Even if they seem to sleep through the night, people with sleep apnea are not really getting restorative sleep, so they are tired during the daytime. My ninety-year old mother has severe apnea (we had her tested in the hospital). When she gets up in the morning, she says that she slept well, but then right after breakfast, she falls asleep sitting on the couch and dozes all morning. She is not aware that her brain is waking her up all night in order for her to get gulps of air when her throat has closed shut. When we tried both the bi-pap and C-pap machines, she was not able to handle the high air pressure required to get the air down her throat. It made her miserable to wear the mask, and she couldn't remember how to turn the machine on and off when she needed to get up to go to the bathroom (another problem she has at night). So we had to give up on the machines. She has no responsibilities in life anymore, so we just let her sleep when she needs to. When she is awake, we enjoy her company (she lives with us) and her great sense of humor.

When my clients are alert we do breathing exercises: morning, noon and night...it really helps!

(The 4-11-7 breathing excercise)
Use the nose only, not the mouth

Inhale through the nose to the count of 4
Hold breath and continue counting to 11
Exhale from 1 to 7 slowly

Do 10 to 20 times per day...helps every cell in the body and will boost their energy level. Great for pain, depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, skin, etc.

I think this is normal my mom is 82 and she falls asleep at the drop of a hat I think its just part of the aging process looking forward to it myself LOL

Sleeping more comes with advanced age. It could also be related to medications, sleep apnea, infections, diet,etc. Is this something new? If so, I would take them to the dr. to rule out above mentioned things. But generally it is OK for a 90 yr old to sleep more. It doesn't mean they are dying, it just means they are old and tired. Just keep an eye on their skin to prevent pressure sores.

Ok, Let me explain. Unless you are fortunate enough to die in your sleep, remember Kenny Rogers' song about "The Gambler"?, then you will most likely become ill before you die, i.e. "sick".
It could be anything from reoccuring health problems, pain, inability to do a task, such as eat, go potty, bathe, walk, etc. It could be excessive sleepiness. It could be stepped-up pain. It could be, and this is the most likely, breathing difficulty. This is the one that spells the end is near. The MD's and the nurses willnot mention it, but the breathinjg is the key....the monitor will show it later....When flatline happens, remember the patient is not DEAD. Everyone thinks that, but the truth of the matter is that there may be some brain activity and the body is still warm.

Being inactive is one reason for them to be falling asleep all the time. IF you are in your seat 24/7 you get so you don't want to move. That is why when you go to the hospital they make you get up and keep moving. Of course it depends on what condition they are in. But there is lots of ways to move around even while in your seat.

I have an 83 year old sister, when she was 80 she got a three wheel bike and she rides that thing all over. I live a mile and she rides it over here. What I am saying is, everyone needs to stay active. If she doesn't get active or it is too late because she has been in that chair too long, then yes she will sit in that chair until she dies. There are things you could do to get her interest up. Like play cards, do a puzzle with her. Also there are books on tapes you can get for her to listen to, get them from the library. to start out sit close to her so she can see what you are doing and I think she may just join in.