Is it worth getting supplemental insurance?

husand and I both have medicare part B and supplemental. Lately on the EOB sent to us, the supplemental only pays very little which makes me wonder if we should drop the supplemental and save around $230 a month. Is this a good idea or bad one. Right now both of us are somewhat healthy-no big issues but I am 65 and my husbad 75 and dont want to do drop it and regret it later. thanks for any help on this

43

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Hubby and I are in our late 70s and have medicare and a PPO from a national company which costs us each $150 a month. The healthcare facilities bill a huge amount then Ins pays them the medicare allowed amount. There are co-pays but we know each year what the co-pays will be. For example $10 to visit a PCP $40 for a specialist and $150 - $175 for something like an MRI. We have drugs included in the plan, and as long as the meds are on the ins co formulary the co-pay is reasonable.
Last year my bills totaled a million dollars so I was very glad not to have to find 20% of that.
So yes I would say supplemental insurance is well worth the money unless you can qualify for Medicaid

Brandywine 1949, Do you actually get bills where you are billed the 20%?? and your supplement pays? I never see that on a bill. Medicare has an allowed amount and that is all my mom is usually billed for.

I too am wondering about this. When you say you are not paying anything, are you looking at your EOBs? is your supplement insurance paying anything or is Medicare paying ALL that you owe? my mom pays $210 for a supplement and it occasionally pays a few dollars. even after an emergency trip to the hospital (no overnight) her supplement plan only had to pay $40 over what Medicare covered and she didn't owe a dime more! does anyone have any actual examples to share where Medicare paid an amount and the supplement paid another amount. Has anyone every been billed the 20% and had it picked up by the supplement plan?? or the deductible?? I am wondering if we are just giving money away to the insurance companies???

I too am wondering if the supplement is worth it. My mom pays $210 a month. sometimes the supplement pays a few dollars over what Medicare pays. usually there isn't anything due after the Medicare amount. Even when she went to the hospital for emergency HBP. she did not stay overnight. The Supplement had to pay $40!! I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a hospital stay. Are you really billed for 20% and then the supplement pays it. When people say they don't pay anything, are you looking at your EOBs? is it because the supplement pays part of it?? or is it because Medicare covers all? seems like there is little reward for paying over $2400 a year.

Agree with brandywine, hubby and I also have a BC/BS PPO and it is absolutely worth it as you get older and suffer increasing problems. A couple of days in an ICU would soon eat up the cost of the policy.

DH and I have medicare and a BC/BS supplement. I say you absolutely need it. It has helped us tremendously and I wouldn't be without a supplement. Medicare pays 80% supplement pays 20%. Please don't drop it b/c you need it.

The one thing our supplemental is good about is prescription coverage. Al has LBD and one of his drugs would be $200 a month. With the supplemental, we pay only $10.

Read David Belk's article in the Huffington Post on supplemental insurance dated 9/16/2013. Bottom line, you DON'T NEED IT, if you have Medicare Part B. You are MUCH better off just paying what little is not covered by Medicare. My parents were paying $5,000 per year for United Healthcare endorsed by AARP. And over the past two years it paid less than $400 per year for all hospital stays, doctors visits, X-rays, etc. In other words, it cost them $5,000/ year to save $400/year.

amott6: Ok, whatever you feel is the best plan for your own personal situation.
I didn't realize that Al was still working. Good Luck!

Norene

N1K2R3: I'm 76 and Al is 77. We've had BC/BS for probably 40 years through his work. When we went on Medicare, it became the supplemental. We didn't realize how little it paid until my surgery. We currently pay $102 for both of us because his company pays the rest, but I think one of the other Advantage plans would give us the same coverage for less.

1 2 3 4 5