My husband has been dizzy, what can I do to make him safer?

My husband was put on Namenda 3 days ago. Yesterday he fell in the shower and had to be helped by EMS. The shower is for the disabled and has the chair the grab bars etc. but still he fell. Could the new medicine have been the cause by making him dizzy etc? I am afraid for his safety every time I leave the room. I am 5'2 and he is 6' and 230 lbs.What can I do to make hm safer . We live alone.

28

Answers

1 2 3
I've had dizziness all my life. But maybe once a year, it is so bad that I bump into things all the time. I get bruises that I don't remember how I got it. As I get older, the worse it has become. Now, I can get dizzy just sitting down, and I feel my body tilting. Good thing I had an armrest. Last year, I hurt my leg, when I turned suddenly, and the next thing I knew, I had slammed hard against the door. My feet remained where it was but my body had tilted. I can be walking, and the next thing I know, I had slammed so hard against the wall. All these tiltings - it happens either suddenly or slowly. No matter which one - my hands cannot move to break my fall. Nor can I turn my head. So, I have seen myself going to slam against the opened car door's edge (darn that was very very painful!!!) and have slammed against walls without being able to use my hands to slow down.

I have had head catscans, head MRI, blood tests, etc...At the cardiologist, he asked me to stand up. So I stood up - and felt myself tilting. He caught me. My heart was fine, my blood pressure - was very low. His recommendation - take in more sodium. And when getting up from the chair/bed, to sit first, and then stand. I'm suppose to also walk slowly.

Another incident at the clinic, I had slammed against the wall on my way out. The doc called back to the exam table. I had a severe heart infection. From a scale of 1 to 7, 7 being the worst, my heart was a 6. I was ordered complete bedrest for 6 weeks (which I didn't listen) and daily anitibiotic by IV at home (my nephew did this for me.)

Father was falling like me. I've seen him do it several times. His is slow motion. Gave me time to try to drag the sofa to him before he hit the floor. When he landed on the floor, it was like he could not get up by himself. He kept trying and trying. He couldn't even turn around. I had to prompt him to get on his hands and knees and crawl to the sofa and pull himself up. He had a very difficult time doing that. It was as if when he slowly was falling, like his muscles were slowing giving way. Once he landed on the ground, his muscles were not working like it should. This happened for several months. He had a stroke. The nurse kind of blamed me that I allowed him to get a stroke since falling down was part of the sign.
So was his having difficulty grabbing or holding things. His hands refused to grab the object. He also was having drenching sweats. sigh...maybe if you're a nurse it's obvious. For me, it was all signs of old age.

JMiller, what I'm trying to say is that when I get dizzy and find myself tilting, most times I cannot move my hands to block my fall. I saw my father slowly falling down and he too could not move (as in try to walk to the sofa to break his fall). We both fall/tilt where we are when it happens. Maybe that's why your husband fell? He may have tilted and couldn't move his hands to block or prevent his fall? Maybe someone will come on and give a solution.

I AM a Caregiver. Are any of you two (Tangleweed & MishkaM) caregivers? In the last 4 months I have also served as a patient advocate. My advice is mainly based on what I have learned from caring for my elderly mom. for the last 7 years. One thing I have learned is that all drugs have side effects and the older we get the more sensitive we become to those side effects and sometimes those side effects can do permanent damage or even cause death which is why I always advise to check the drugs and never trust that your doctor is telling you everything you need to know about the drug. Do your own research.
I only recently began mentioning Dr. Rogers because she has written several books and I happen to have recently read them. Many alternative M.D.s always face the risk of having their licenses pulled but it doesn't mean that they are bad doctors.

kona,

For someone who claims to be a caregiver and contributing countless posts to many threads articulating your belief in the danger in trusting doctors and taking prescribed medications, I find it ironic (and scary) that the one physician to whom you hold up as exemplary (Dr. Sherry Anne Rogers) is the very same MD whose medical license was revoked in 1999 for 8 counts of MEDICAL MISCONDUCT.

Seriously? I hope that others who read your posts recognize that your advice needs to be questioned for it's efficacy and validity. You're probably sincere in your desire to "help" others. Please consider your comments and the impact they may have on "gullible" members before pressing the submit button. It's a question of social mores and ethics.

This is a Caregiver's Forum and I AM a Caregiver and as a Caregiver who has had some negative experiences with the medical system, I feel that I have much to share about what has worked for me outside of the usual medical system protocol. You might not like what I say, but you will never know who it might help.

Is this the same Dr. Sherry A. Rogers who got her New York licensed suspended in New York for serious infractions? The same who had to pay many fines for her lack of medical skill?
kona-you are NOT on here as a caregiver looking for support. You are on here to sell your naturalist ideas. I looked on your profile. Almost ALL of your posts are about the dangers of meds. You are on here with a personal agenda. A very specific personal agenda -whether because you are financially attached to it or you just need to justify you beliefs or you truly want to spread your philosophy -(because that is what it is -a philosophy-a belief. Unless you are a doctor you cannot say otherwise. ) That is not what this forum is for, to come on and sell your one belief. IMO. BUT , if you must, if you feel that strongly and are that worried about the pharmaceutical companies than , may I suggest, that you simply start a thread. Start a thread about natural approaches to disease and share your views there. Keep it updated. I am sure that many posters would fully enjoy that. It would be your thread. Just, don't , please, don't jump around from thread to thread saying the same thing. And , please, try and remember there is more than one answer out there. You have strong convictions, I actually like that in a person, but what I do not like is when a person with strong convictions tells others that their strong convictions are all wrong. Sooo , please, can you just start a thread but please do be careful because I researched some of the natural cures you mention and they can be very dangerous. They are unregulated and , just because they are natural does not necessarily mean they are safe. I mean oleander is natural. Poisen Ivy-natural. Silver colloidal is VERY dangerous. So I ask that you please be careful.

And I would like to learn more about which vitamins are good for you and what supplements help. I think that it would be a great thread that would last a long time.

Peace.

No, I don't feel that I HAVE to convince others that my way is the only way. I only share what I have experienced and what I have read from other M.D.s like Dr. Sherry Rogers and others. If what I say helps then I am glad, if what I say is not helpful then so be it. I believe that all of our posts are valuable to the person asking the question and that is where our focus should be at the moment instead of attacking each other. @ Rafiki medicine to me is what the body must have in order to thrive like food. I don't consider the pharmaceutical drugs to be in that category and as Dr. Rogers points out, pharmaceutical drugs only "cure" the symptoms but never address the underlying cause of the problem. .

Mishka M - hugs to you - sounds like you have been through a lot and ended up deciding to take medicine (it is medicine after all...not drugs..but medicine) to help you with a medical problem. In my book that is what medicine is for. Konacaregiver: some folks can bring down medical issues through eating better...others need to take BP meds or insulin. Bottom line is that medical technology exists to help cure many things that cause harm. It is a personal choice.

Listen, I realize people sometimes feel they HAVE to convince others that their way is the only way because it makes them more secure on their own decisions. I get that. But what you need to realize if that I am a third generation OCD gal. I have had OCD since I can remember . I have diary entrances from when I was 10 begging God to help me. No one knew what was wrong back then. We were just worry warts-and me the wartiest of them all. I suffered from bulimia (a very common thing for OCD peeps like me p) and alcoholism ( again common), and well, other forms of self medicating that was harmful. I tried all kinds of therapy-wore rubber bands on my wrist to snap when I had one of my bad thoughts, I jazzersized until ever time I heard a friggin' Britney spears song my body would start doing the routines on its own-doesn't matter if I was in the mall, in an elevator or at home and I ate only fish fowl and veggies I tried vitamins and meditation and prayer and still I ended up in bed , shaking non stop until I lost 20 lbs in two weeks, defecating on myself while shaking. BUT-yeah, go ahead and tell me I am wrong. You know better. You and Tom Cruise. Because I love the 30 lb weight gain from Paxil and the fact that I cannot fully enjoy my love life and all the other lovely side effects. I choose those instead of vitamins for sh* T's and giggles.
Your post is dangerous. I am mad. I would be dead now if not for Paxil. I would have committed suicide. How dare you spread the notion that we can fix ourselves with food and vitamins.

@ MishkaM, not to get off the subject of this important thread but once a psychologist that I was seeing told me that I was not feeling right due to low seratonin levels in my brain. She never ran any lab tests mind you, she only diagnosed me based on what she observed. So I decided to try all those drugs and found that they gave me insomnia which affected my health even more. Finally my GP told me to just take a good Vitamin B Complex because it was great for the brain and the nerves. I did and it works. According to Dr. Sherry Rogers, out bodies are deficient in nutrition and you can't get that nutrition from pharmaceutical drugs. Sorry.

By the way, MishkaM and anyone else who read my lengthy post on BPPV. I should not have used the word "cured". Patients who experience BPPV can have a repeat episode at anytime. It's a condition where the calcium crystals can float out of place inside the inner ear. My husband teasingly refers to them as "the rocks inside" my head. Ha ha. All humans have them as they war what provide us with balance and equilibrium. BPPV is not a disease.

1 2 3