Why is it so hard to get anyone to put a wheelchair ramp outside the home ? I have called every agency I can think of and get nowhere.

My husband is wheelchair bound. We are in our own home and have no family to help us with anything. I have to pay for a transport company to get him out and in the house every time we go anywhere. I have asked what if there was a fire? How would I get him out of the house? I am quickly running out of money to continue to pay for transport so then what do I do. I would appreciate any suggestions.

20

Answers

You might want to look at portable ramps. I saw basic ones online for $60.

I have seen on our local news that they will run a story like this and contractors usually step up and do it ( I think for the free advertising on the news) but to me it usually looks like a win/win for both.

And I have tryed everything to get and family will not help.

Hi I am in need of funds to get a ramp put in at my home I am on low income and I am disabled

I am in need of getting funds to put a ramp in at my home

Have you tried at a church? Sometimes that is a great resource .

Contact the VA, also contact your local
Vfw and American legion. Tell them
your story.
Also look on the internet. There are
Places that sell premade (usually aluminum)
Ramps.
call your local senior center, they should
Have some ideas....I would think somewhere
There is a group that would help a
Disabled vet.

Good luck

Americans With Disabilities installed handrails in our garage. They used repurposed wood (the rails were once someone's bannister) and didn't charge us a nickel.

Where my parents live there are block grants (low-0% interest loans) that can help out. Might be worth asking around. I would contact every non-profit aging service around to see if they know of anything.
Good Luck! (BTW -- crazy hint if you are in a snow area - roofing shingles make GREAT treads on wooden stairs -- cheap, nail-em down on all the corners & they last for ages. Saw them at a camp near Yosemite)

You would be better off paying for the ramp than for the transport people. We actually built one ourselves and it is not that hard. You can get very helpful advice and information at Home Depot or Lowe's and also from free how-to books from your library. We decided to make one of concrete for durability and have gotten a LOT of use over the years both with those we care for and for visitors who are in wheelchairs or have trouble with stairs. You can also call the local Council on Aging or United Way. Our Atheist group regularly provides services like this to the elderly and handicapped for free.