How do you manage giving multiple medications to both your parents?

We have a pill box for each parent. We are there for the A.M. and mid day meds, and we call her to take the night meds. We leave those in a drug vial (old medicine bottle) with each of their names on them. When we call, we instruct her and she does it while we stay on the phone. She gives my dad his meds at night. Once in a while she has to do the morning meds herself. We usually know beforehand, and use the same procedure.
We NEVER tell her where the boxes of meds are until we call for her to take them. We are afraid she will THINK we called and overtake her meds.
Luckily, we are usually there at medication time.
My sister set up a week of my mother's meds in pill boxes, also. We did find the pill boxes with mutiple individual boxes. The print was larger than normal on the front of the box stating the day. Since my mother was losing her sight, My sister would check often if she was on track. She always was. I guess it depends on your parent's mental capacity.
You have to have a pill box for sure. At the doc's office you might be able to get a free on .Medical representives leave them and Moms doc. gave us a big one for the whole week with big letters . Morning,noon,evening and bed on it . I have to give mom all her meds now and I need the pill box too. It is the only way to go.
Hi--The idea of using a pill box I think is a good one-and at the same time call and remind your parent/s which one to take (if possible). As they can get confused and go into the wrong day with meds. I use to set up my Mom's med box each and every week, and would try to remind her what to take. I think they even have talking pill boxes out now but not sure how effective they are. As previous mentioned, I would try to NOT keep any medication around-as this could possible result in a confusing issue for your parents.
Good Luck!
Hap
Comfort Keepers sells an automatic med dispenser. When it is time for medication an alarm sounds and the medication drops down. Other meds are not available until their schudeled time.
When my MIL was here at home, she had meds to take brkfst, lunch, dinner & bdtme. I set up 2 wks. worth of meds and either my husband, youngest SIL, DPOA SIL, HHA or I would give them to her. Since the HHA's can't touch the medicines--I provided little shot glasses with her meds in them. She took the meds out of the shot glasses and drank a separate glass of water. I was afraid of her o/ding as well. Hope this helps! Oh, BTW, HHA stands for Home Health Aide and DPOA stands for Durable Power of Attorney.
You can ask your pharmacy about having the meds put in bubble packs. These have the day of the week and date and the names of the meds printed on the back of each bubble in the pack. You, or they, can push the meds out for each day. I care for my mother full time and find this way of doing it to be very convenient. I have her meds delivered once a month and all I have to do is switch out the empty bubble pack from the plastic housing and put in the new pack. I don't have to count or figure out if a day has been missed. My mother was having this done before I came to stay with her so I just kept it that way. I think many elderly folks find this way to be easier also.
My sis and I decided to put them out each day. usually one of us is there for one of the medication times, but we just put them out for when we are not and then call her when she is suppose to take them.
I used an automated medication dispenser recommended by my Area Agency on Aging. I could fill a full month's supply of mom's medication into the machine. It announced "time for your medication" and she would press a button to get the pre-loaded cup of meds. If she didn't press the button the machine called me to report the missed dose. The best part is the machine called me when it was time to reload. This was a perfect solution for my family.
Thank you all for the great feedback, support! Thanks to this forum I now have a great solution.