I'm truly considering going to the court and applying for the court to take over care for my mother. Has anyone had to do this so that their mom truly has a chance at a happier life?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I would be very careful choosing to go this route, enlist a close friend, join a support group, ask a sibling to help, but not your friendly government. Trust me on this, bad, bad idea.
Suppose she becomes so unruly and her Guardian places her in a really poorly managed facility not realizing how poor her care is, you say..”oh no, she can’t stay here......” Not your option anymore.
Helpful Answer (0)

I think it would only create more problems & stress...who takes care of her now? Getting the gov or courts involved is the last thing you want to do. That is if there’s no family or friends & you are not able to make decisions. You don’t have to be perfect but family is always best
Helpful Answer (3)

Getting the court to "take over care" can be very difficult. The guardianship process can be pricey and lengthy. I'd suggest contacting your local Area Agency on Aging for information on how guardianship works in your state, as states can have different laws.

In my state (Washington), there are professional guardians (charge the individual a fee), public guardians (paid for by the state in extreme cases where no other person is able), and lay guardians (usually a family member). In most cases, the judge wants to assign guardianship to a family member. Here, guardians ad litem are only temporarily assigned by the court during the process to investigate the need for a guardian. Primarily, the court process is lengthy because guardianship is essentially taking the person's rights away, so the court really has to determine there are no other alternatives first, and that the person is truly incapacitated.
Helpful Answer (5)

In our experience, the Geriatric Care Manager doesn't make decisions for our loved one. She just guides them through the options. A Guardian ad Litem takes over responsibility for making all the decisions.

If your mom has already been declared incompetent to make her own decisions, are you the POA or guardian? Are you finding that making the decisions is too stressful or is it more the interactions with your mom that are wearing you down? Maybe you could try hiring a care manager to deal directly with your mom but reserve the right to make the decisions. Maybe you wouldn't feel so all alone if you had a professional giving you their opinion.

Unless you are going to walk away from a relationship with your mom, just giving the decision making power to someone else sounds to me as if it is going to make your life more stressful, not less.
Helpful Answer (6)

Well. It's going to depend on what problems you're having, exactly, and whether they are of a sort that "officials" would be better placed to resolve. As with anything else in life, there are advantages and drawbacks to weigh up.

Have you discussed this with any of the other people currently involved in your mother's care? Would you like to say more about what's happening?
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter