Any advice getting Mom in and out of bed who is having trouble?

My mother-in-law has Parkinson's and although she has it mostly under control, recently she has had trouble getting in and out of her bed. They delivered a hospital bed this week that was supposed to help her, she is still having trouble getting in and out. I am looking for any suggestions or other equipment that may help. We have tried having her user her walker, but it isn't stable enough to help her push herself up. She has a cane, but that doesn't help. She has a dresser within reach but when she grabs onto it her soft hands slip and I am afraid she will fall using this. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

64

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
We have to help my mother get in and out of bed and we have to help her walk, and everything else, but I’m wondering if your mother not being able to get out of bed has come on fairly suddenly? A UTI in an older women can have very different effects, it can make them more confused or weak or more immobile. I thought my mom had went to a worse lvl of her dementia this past week, she was unable to walk at all, and very unresponsive, I finally took her temp and it was a little high. I brought her in for a UTI and after 1 day of antibiotics she is eat, talking, singing, and able to stand again. This may not be your issue, but it’s good info to have. 😃
Reply to MHenderson

We have to help my mother get in and out of bed and we have to help her walk, and everything else, but I’m wondering if her not being able to get out of bed has come on fairly suddenly? A UTI in an older women can have very different effects, it can make them more confused or weak or more immobile. I thought mom had went to a worse lvl if her dementia this past week, once unable to walk at all, and very unresponsive, I finally took her temp and it was a little high. I brought her in for a UTI and after 1 day of antibiotics she is eat, talking, singing, and able to stand again. This may not be your issue, but it’s good info to have. 😃
Reply to MHenderson

BTW, my mom is on hospice so I figure her comfort is the biggest concern
at this point. I was not trying to recommend for a person to use long term.
Reply to marymerry

Recliners are great for naps but long term use can lead to nasty bedsores or serious back problems. Please be aware of the hazards of going that route. Best wishes.
Reply to FriendlyBedGuy

Get a PT consult to come to the house and show you how to help, and no, holding on to the dresser or a walker is not the right solution. They do make some special poles with grab handles - just google for bed pole grab handle and you'll see lots of products. There are traditional patient lifts with slings and a different design called EasyPivot that would help one person safely assist as well.
Reply to vstefans

My mom is past all the coping ideas that work great but she just cannot help
herself any more so I have to.
We got the Golden Technology Cloud lift chair / bed and it has been such a blessing. It is soft and has infinite positions. I cannot lift and position her in
bed anymore but the draw sheet really helps. The chair is very expensive but it has saved us having to use a facility and it costs less than a month at a facility so I call it a bargain. Once she gets into the chair, she can sit, recline, sleep , watch tv, etc. The chair will stand her up to get out, then all we have to do is turn 1/4 and sit in wheel chair or whatever.
Reply to marymerry

Can you get physical therapy into work with her ? Have her PCP write an order for home health and get physical therapy to work with her ,
Reply to ohmeowzer

My mother age 87 cannot get in and out of bed and now sleeps in her Lift chair. That is also the only way she can get out of a chair. I cannot lift her she is too heavy for me. She seems to love her chair we got an expensive comfortable one and its been a Godsend.
Reply to malerie

I just learned this trick from an ot. My mom has recovered from broken hip,has Alzheimer's/deme entia. Ot showed me have mom walk up to hospital bed with her walker to where the side bed rail is. Have her hold on to bed rail with BOTH hands then rotate her so backside is to side of bed, take steps back until legs touch side of bed. Release one hand and put on bed then sit down. Make sure hospital bed is a good height for her to sit easily. Here is the trick. While sitting grab BOTH hands back on bed rail then the natural movement is to turn on side as u bring up both bent legs. It is a natural movement awkward as it sounds. Then with knees bent, feet flat on bed put hands to side flat on bed, push up with feet, lift butt slightly shimming body up closer to pillow. Then relax legs and feet. The side bed rail has been a good sent
Reply to Suefox

Oh wow, this is a tough one. My Mom doesn't have Parkinson's, so can't speak to that. But she has vascular dementia and experienced peumonia which led to a heart attack in Dec. She had all of her allowed Medicare PT in rehab after the hosp., but then moved into LTC with no therapy due to the Medicare being used up. Meanwhile, in the ____ LTC facility, she has had 2 very bad falls and developed an extreme fear of falling. Sometimes even stiffening up when we'd try to help her. In the weakened state, transfers in and out of bed are super difficult. I hired a Trainer to teach me exercises to help get her some basic strength to make the transfers easier. We're just in the beginning phase of this and they are chair exercises. There's also supposed to be some sort of transfer-assisting board you can get that I'm going to try to find out about. Basically the LTC therapists "gave up on her", despite NOT having done any bedside or chair exercises to maintain her strength which to me is unconscionable. After the 2nd fall, they finally put down a soft mat beside her bed (even though I had requested it upon admission) There are so many issues in eldercare. To think she was walking with a cane prior to Dec.
Reply to ctccaregiver

1 2 3 4 5