Any advice about hoisting a patient with Parkinson's in the morning to get them out of bed?

i work in a care home and one of our residents has parkinsons she is very heavy in the morning can i use a hoist to get her up from bed and on to the to the toilet

26

Answers

1 2 3
You can rent a lift from a Medical Supply Co. (like those that sell walkers, lift chairs etc).

Bigcaca, make sure you have written orders from an MD before you deploy a lift. Otherwise you be in bigger caca.

Sorry. Jumping in late here. Ceiling lifts are even better than portable hoyer lifts in my opinion. Greater ease of use, etc.

Also - don't forget about getting a regular routine setup for your care recipient. That regularity and schedule can help so as to not surprise them. Having them understand and remember what's going on goes a long way in making the transfer easier. Also helps with staff that are helping so they know what to expect.

Thanks skates, wish i could find a used one lol. Can you put someone in the car with it? My mom can't walk or hold on but she can sit and ok in the regular hoyer sling. Think it will work for her? I wonder if they sell used ones anywhere I found one very similar to it last night online but I just can't pay that kind of money out. Thank you

The Ardoo Hoist is actually made in Ireland and they ship worldwide. We got ours delivered to the States and it arrived 2 days later. It is expensive think it cost us all up about $2,500 but so far it's worth it as it allows more freedom for weekend breaks and day trips. You should check them out online as you will find more info about it. I hope you find something that suits you, take care.

Thanks Friendlybedguy, there is no price and its out of the country . Argh I bet its thousands of dollars. I would love one. We bought an old used van thats on its last legs for out infrequent rides out (about 3-5 times a year) and it would be great for toilet and car. If anyone has more info or knows of one similar please let me know. And if anyone knows how to use a 4 pint hoyer to turn a person in bed please let me know also. Thanks, still hanging in there.

RR- I saw the lift at the ardoohoist website (the link was shown previously)- they are out of England and very new. My quick impression was it has a base like a hoyer but much lighter duty. Instead of an overhead "boom" it has a forktype arm that sticks out and grabs someone slightly above the waist (grabbed a sling around the person's trunk). Looks like a combination of a hoyer base and the lifting strategy of the "portable lifts" that are getting more popular (Port-a-Lift and others now including Drive Medical). The hoist can be hooked on identical brackets on bedroom/bathroom walls or the door framework of a car.

Skates, do you mean a hoyer lift? I got one thru medicare for my Mom but it isnt small and takes up the entire Van to move it with us on rare occasions in the Summertime. Can you tell me the name? I have an awful time turning Mom in bed alone to change her and cant find a solution for that yet. Thanks

Skates- looks like a handy product- is there a US distributor? Normally I try to steer people away from hoists- I would rather see the person use whatever abilities they have to "help themselves"- better for them and much easier on the caregiver. Getting in/out of bed and/or repositioning in bed is a huge issue for Parkinsons and there are solutions. Lots of spouse calls of them getting up 6 or more times a night to roll their heavy partner over- who can do that 7 days a week forever?

A hoist does the job. I have come across this hoist recently and I am finding it so handy. Its folds up very small and is very hand to take away on day trips and weekends away. You only need 1 carer to operate it also.
ardoohoists

1 2 3