My wife and I are over 60 and both on disability. I have been disabled for 5 years and she has been disabled for about 16 months. We both receive SSDI and we are both on Medicare. We don't have taxes taken out of our SSDI. We own a Duplex and we live on one side and rent the other side. We also are caregivers for a mentally disabled family member (brother) an he to is collecting SSDI. He pays us rent but it doesn't cover the cost of his living expenses and medical care. We paid more then $18,000.00 in interest on the mortgage last year and $6400.00 in property tax. We also have medical expenses not covered by Medicare. My question is can I recover anything in the form of a check from the IRS. Thanks and look forward to your response.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I don't think you are going to find any refundable credits when you do your tax return. I agree with pstegman.
Helpful Answer (0)

Well since nothing is taken out, you are not going to see a refund. You may qualify for tax credits at the state and federal level, but it would take an extensive interview with a tax consultant and that won't be free. Your brother probably collects too much SSDI for you to claim him. And I wouldn't attempt to say I was anybody's caregiver on SSDI, because if you are caregiving you are NOT disabled in the fed's point of view. Good way to lose the SSDI. Your rental income gets written up on a Schedule E, and hopefully you have saved all receipts for property maintenance as an offset and keep a file of all capital improvements made to the property. It would be well worth your time and trouble to sit down with an accountant.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter