What kind of a diet should be followed for heartburn, and could pro-biotic help her?

My mom is 92 yrs. old. She has always suffered with heartburn, and has relied upon a brand name product for relief, but it contains aluminum, which I've read contributes as a toxin to ALZ. But at the core of the matter is that we have one of the main caregivers who is very stubborn, and just keeps feeding mom acid containing foods. What kind of a diet should be followed, and could pro-biotics help her?

My question is, at age 92 how much worse can her Alz get? I personally use Prilosec, but I have no idea if it has aluminum in it, only that it works.
Nancy, My mom already takes other meds. According to research, the intestinal flora in the digestive track can also be destroyed by taking over the counter products, aside from prescribed medications. Even if my mom is 92, I'd rather she not become reliant upon this aluminum containing product, Actually mom in many ways, still can remember people, read (slowly of course). Besides it is not really addressing the issue, which is diet, and restoring the gut function viaenzymes, and intestinal flora. We in our family at the very least want her hopefully functioning to the best of her ability, but hopefully also helping her heal her condition rather than just loading her body up w/more poison Margeaux
I really do understand about not wanting more medications. Diet is very important, but often not enough. I have severe heartburn, and have tried every medication out there until I found one that worked. Zegerid has stopped the heartburn for me which was so severe it felt like a heart attack. And constant acids can erode the esophagus and cause cancer. Don't know if there is aluminum in Zegerid. Stress can cause stomach problems; so until I can unload all the stress, medication is a blessing. The side effects might be doing something else to my body which I regret, but the heartburn can become unbearable. I had to go to the emergency room as it hurt to breath. So, for now, I am a proponent for meds.
Digestive enzymes work very well at controling heartburn. As we age, we lose alot of those natural enzymes that break down our food which starts as we chew our food...our saliva starts the process. If you have a local health food store, you can symply go in and tell them about the heartburn and they will suggest to you which ones will work best. My mom has this problem, and just went on previced I think it was, and she now has a hole in her esophagus. These acid proton inhibitors stop ALL acid which is not good because you do need the acid in your stomach, so your body tries to produce even more, and you end up with more complications such as my mom. Whenever you can get something natural to your body heal itself, it's a good idea. Sometimes if the damage is too far gone, you may have to rely upon meds, because it's the only choice. A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works well too. Just go on the internet and look up uses for apple cider vinegar and its usefulness as a heartburn remedy. Also check out digestive enzymes on the internet as well. It just might be what you are looking for. Good luck.
Is your mom overweight? That often can cause heartburn and digestive problems. Is your mom in a nursing home or at home? Simple real foods that are not highly seasoned or processed would be a start. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, yogurt, bananas, applesauce, vanilla ensure, cooked veggies, rice, mashed potatoes, melons. Don't give her fatty meats and cheeses...stick to chicken and fish. My concern would be that your mother may not like it if you changed her diet. My mother is 89 with dementia and she has dwindled herself down to eating only scrambled eggs, bananas, yogurt, ensure, cookies, cupcakes, chocolate, mashed potatoes and fruit cocktail. If she doesn't like it, she will spit it out or just say it is poison and not even taste it. She has no stomach problems. Just giving up citrus or tomatoes could help...or just adding yogurt. Perhaps the caregiver has tried different foods and the ones that she gives your mother are the ones that your mother will eat. Unless you are the one preparing, serving the food and sitting with her while she eats it, it is hard to have control over what your mom eats. If you or someone could keep a log of what she eats, that would be a start in identifying what bothers her stomach.
I think probiotics is great to try, my husband drinks aloe vera juice (as seen on Dr. Oz) and it has helped his heartburn so much that he does not take prilosec when he uses the aloe vera
I read all labels so I know what is in a product. My husband uses the store brands or generic which his doctor says is all the same and he is not paying for a brand name is Omerprazole (Prilosec). It works for him and is much cheaper. Also, I take one probiotic acidophilus once a day and that helps me.
Mommag, my mom is not over weight at all. Thank you for all of your dietary suggestions. I don't live there, my sister does. She's overweight, and of course is at the helm for what really goes on there with mom, w/caregivers. But I'm there enough, relieving. My sister in part, doesn't have a good diet. Too many heavy fried, acidic foods. The caregiver, is clueless. My sister can't seem to get her to cooperate much on this front. My sister although is paying more attention in terms of my suggestions, to really cut out the acidic foods, and does make her more spice free, and many of foods you have mentioned. Anyway, we're currently monitoring this caregiver more, so much so that if she doesn't cooperate, she may be out of a job. Thanks again, Margeaux
Yes, I totally agree with all of you who have suggested yogurt and aloe vera.
It is so soothing to the stomach. Thank you all, I really appreciate your suggestions,
oh, and my mom just turned 92 in April. Love and Light to everyone! Margeaux
Margeaux- A belated Happy Birthday to Mom. Also, wanted to say at our house we eat more of a Mederterranen diet. Lots of fruits and vegetables ,grains. My husbands doctor approves of this and his words are "eat anything you want, it won't change a thing. Some things will bother you more than others." Of course, he wants us to stay away from fat and a lot of red meat. Hope all of this has helped and that you can get the caregiver re-oriented. We started slow and believe it or not we do not miss anything, feel better and by starting slow as everything just fell into place. It is better than taking everything away at one time. Just cut down on some and finally eliminate all of the things you should not eat.