Anyone know what I can add to Mom's diet to prevent constipation?

Hi my mom is 87 and has dementia. She does not drink much and does not eat fruits. She has been having serious constipation. Her doctor has recommended giving her milk of magnesia, but this works sometimes and mostly not.
Tom

85

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
We give my FIL a small bowl of oatmeal every morning with his breakfast (3/4 c oatmeal, 1 egg, 1 slice bread and butter and jelly, applesauce or mandarine orange slices, apple or orange juice and decaf coffee). We tried switching it up with other hot cereals just for variety and he immediately had constipation issues. So, we went back to oatmeal every day.

We leave a glass of water, a small glass of juice, and a cup of decaf coffee on the table next to where he sits during the day. He regularly sips the coffee all day and sometimes sips from the water and juice. He does drink about half a glass of water to get his medications down in the am and pm. It works for now.

.

Apple sauce is a gentle and natural laxative...also prunes and keep away from bananas as well as too many veges like spinach that are high in iron....also too much potassium will cause constipation which is the reason to stay away from bananas..

I would definitely check with her doctor. My mother was having the same problem and before I started being her sole caregiver, I found out she was abusing laxatives.

The problem my mom has is that she can't understand the correlation between eating and pooping. She eats very little, but still believes she needs to poop every day.

Miralax worked for my mom, but she doesn't take it all the time.

Her doc said she could take it daily and to up her fluid intake. I gave my mom a measured container and a quota per day. It can be water, juice, milk whatever. However, she says she drinks a lot more, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Chewables can be problematic for older people because if dental issues, so consider that when choosing options

MsMadge: Yes, that was suggested.

Activia yogurt will help

Try probiotics.

My mom had problems with constipation all the time. However, even though she didn't eat much she thought she had to have a BM every day. If she went 2 days without one, she would take a laxative. Before she stopped driving, I discovered she was taking way too many laxatives- like every week.

I finally got her off the laxatives and started Miralax. Even though the prescribed amount is no more than 7 days, her dr said she could take it every day as long as she was drinking enough fluids.

Because my mom's weight has dropped significantly in the past year (weighs 107 lbs now), she wants to try and gain weight and she thinks drinking a lot of whole milk will do that. This is probably adding to the constipation issue.

Mom, like most elderly, has dental issues that keep her from eating anything that isn't soft.

The Miralax works fine for my Mom - when she takes it. The problem I'm having now is she has stopped taking any of her meds - including the Miralax. I can't figure out if it's through forgetfulness or she chooses not to. I placed a large sign on her fridge that reads "Take Your Medicine". Verbal reminders have not worked as she will fib to me she has taken them.

I add Miralax to Mom's coffee every morning. Occasionally she used to still have a hard time and I would give her one Senna. Now that we do the Miralax every morning, she has not had to have Senna in a long time.

A fresh organic fuji apple a day will do it. Regular apples have a lot of pesticides. And yes, if she would eat a fruit cobbler, like peach, or pie. Oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal for breakfast. Plenty of water.

1 2 3 4 5