Can diet play a part in dementia/hallucinations?

have read it could be Vit D deficiency and the elderly need more Vit D?

Mom's doc put her on vitamin D (D2, then changed to D3 or vice-versa, forget which). I see no difference whatsoever in the dementia or hallucinations, no better and no worse, and she's been on it awhile. I doubt it will change the course or that what mom has eaten or drunk in her life has made any difference. I let her have anything she wants, even coffee (though decaf afternoon on) and sweets with a pretty balanced diet. She sleeps the same whatever she's given. Knock on wood, all is fairly well at this juncture for us, and we're even in the process of moving with all the stress involved. You can try different things, maybe more vitamin D could help your loved one.
I hope your mom does well with the vitamins and limited caffeine in coffee, etc.
My own hunch is that dementia is hastened by lifelong habits of eating processed foods, refined sugar, excess fat grams, etc....Repeat: hunch...I have no basis other than hunch.

Old Bob, I'd go with your hunch too but no scientific evidence nor is their likely to be with big foods special interests and GMO seeds.
There is research on all sorts of things contributing or causing dementia, lack of exercise as well as Vitamin D deficiency and sugar intake are suspected culprits. I, personally, do not think it is one thing that will be found to be the cause, rather a group of unhealthy habits. If it were just one thing, I think a cure would have been found by now.

L was experiencing some memory issues that is thought to be a result of mini strokes, TIA's. His doc had him start vitamin D3 2000 ICU twice a day, sublingual B12 5000 ICU once daily, and Aggrenox an extended release aspirin twice a day. They seem to help slow whatever is occuring but memory problems continue, and he is covering up quite well. But this is the first year that he has not been able to get paperwork together for taxes. As I was helping him with that he also some unpaid bills, that should have been paid on his desk. Course his desk was a complete mess pile upon pile upon pile. I would be confused too!
Eating coconut oil, even a teaspoon a day has found by people on this site to help Dementia. Of course there is a connection! How food reacts to us and how the envioronmnet interacts, cause and effect is all chemistry, and I don't mean drugs.
We are also about energy, thoughts, and soul. Just because most of us don't know the chemistry of food to body, it sure doesn't support that there is no connection to cause and effect. Know what I am saying?
It's D3 by the way that is what you all need to consume.
I can agree with the above but frankly believe the planet/environment is too far gone as far as being able to be totally healthy from birth no matter how hard we try. You could go off the grid and work your rear end off growing and raising your own if you want, probably not a bad idea. I admire that. If I'd had kids, I'd do my best to try to keep them from all the processed/junk foods. I wish things were the way they were when my grandmother was "coming up." She lived to 96 and was dementia free, always ate well and seldom had anything junky till the end of her life. I'm a bible believer and think we are going steadily downhill in all ways, physically and spiritually, just my two cents, but I do try most days of the week to behave myself.
My Mom is 78 and has some memory issues but she had 2 Aunts with it and her Mom had Parkinson's. Both are suppose to have some of the same chemicals in the brain. I believe there is a gene factor But read recently about a promising procedure for AZ and it was on the idea of laser the head with a type of sonic laser that breaks up the plaque. I think just a hunch that the plaque is formed from out environment. As there is a lot more health issues today then ever before. Some they put stupid names on and add medication they know nothing about. The money on medication should be used to clean up our environment, but doubt that would ever happen.....
I think there is definitely a connection between the food we eat and the amount of toxicity in our brains but my mum's dementia is the outcome of two strokes and not a poor diet in her earlier life. I am sure that with rationing during the second world war and until 1954, she did not overdose on sugar, she has never been overweight and in her case the onset of her dementia was not food-related. Now, in the advanced stages I don't even bother what I give her as most of the time she rejects food so I give her anything she will eat. What I did do, however, a couple of years ago, was to change her tea to decaf on the advice of a dementia specialist who told me that research had shown that sundowning happened in relation to a build up of caffeine during the day (among other things) - I do see an improvement and I try to give her fruit juice as much as possible, I would never consider giving coffee whether decaf or otherwise - apart from other things it stains the teeth and with drugs and an aversion to allowing her carers to clean her teeth it's important not to discolour them any more than is necessary.
Actually there IS a whole slew of information to be found on this, and diet DOES certainly play a role....for everyone; not just those with dementia. First thing I would do is switch from a 'man-made' Vitamin D to foods that are high in vit. D, and let her get about 20-25 minutes of good morning sunshine directly on her belly! (no more than this is needed per day) Next question.....is she on any statins for "high" cholesterol? Statins are known to contribute to dementia and alz. as well as heart issues. (I believe Crestor may be the worst, and yet every day our TV tells us that we are just not one of the 'cool kids' if we are not in the Crestor club! Argh!) Coconut oil can be added safely and will contribute to good health in LOTS of ways.....so, everything to gain there and nothing to lose. Also, I would start adding in a dose of fermented cod liver oil daily (google it; you are looking for Green Pastures Blue Ice brand) Even better if you can get the one that has butter oil in it. Try to stay off processed foods as much as possible, buy organic when you can, and try to find a source for grass-fed, pasture raised meat. (no hormones, no antibiotics, no gmo-corn feed) Truth is, our bodies just do not know what to do with all the chemicals we put in through our processed food, body care products, prescriptions, etc. On a cellular level, it's like a slow, life-long poisoning of ourselves. I mention all of these things.....not just for your mother, but for you and your whole family. It WILL make a difference! Best to you!
I think that a damaged brain is more susceptible to food additives than a normal brain. Also, I wonder about the interaction of medications with food additives. My thought is that you should feed a dementia patient the same foods your mother would feed a young child. With enough vegetables and mild fruits like apples, you don't need vitamins. Several years ago I cut processed foods, onions, garlic and strong spices from my husband's diet (and unfortunately, my diet). I cook vegetables in coconut oil and give him salmon every day. He loves pot roast with potatoes and carrots. I do not give him citrus, which I believe causes namenda to remain in his system. I have to say that I feel much better also. He hasn't had a hallucination for about a year and he no longer has anxiety attacks.