What is the best fall prevention help device?

There are many on the market. I prefer one with a pendant to call for help. Also a GPS.

15

Answers

I was standing right next to my husband and he fell backwards. Sometimes I can grab his shirt to keep him up some for a softer landing. It comes without warning.

I just put my husband into a rehab hospital to see if they can build him up in case it's just weakened muscles. If this doesn't work then he must use a wheel chair from now on. Even when transferring, my husband starts to show signs he's going to go. Thus his days are numbered staying home with me. I can't keep him safe.

I do have him use a wheel chair at home but if I turn my back, he's standing right next to me, or he decided to get up and go somewhere. I have to be careful of my reaction to him being up and around, or that could trigger a fall.

Once the falling starts, they become fearful of falling, and they fall.

There is no such thing as a fall prevention device. The devices for after there is a fall. We had a fall alert device for my father. He kept thinking he was able to get up and walk. He had balance problems because of strokes and dementia. I liked having the alert system. His alert system had a fall detection feature which was very useful. Most of his falls were at night when we were asleep. We ended up buying a portable alarm which we hooked up to his bed at night and on his wheelchair during the day. We also had a video monitor in his room. Once they start falling it is hard to keep them from falling. 

Best Fall prevention . . An individual or a whole family willing to provide 24 x 7 care for a loved one with a family member by their side 24 x 7. That is what I do for my Mother. She walks around her apartment with or sometimes without a walker at 100 years old. We go for walks a time or two each week with my holding her hand in addition to her walking around in her apartment. It is approx 42 yards round trip from her bed to the toilet. I learned from friends with parents in Senior Facilities that falls can be the start of LO's dying. We have different gadgets, a bed alarm and a pendant but what has kept Mother safe from any falls since we moved to a heavenly facility 7 months ago is that I am full time and my son or his wife give me breaks are right by her side 24 x 7. We have worked this out with the facility. We have a loving family life including Mother's kitty.

Of course, a pendant is not a fall prevention device. That is for AFTER the fall when help needs to be summoned. As for prevention , perhaps an OT/PT evaluation of her environment and her balance could help. Try local VNA, but would need MD order to have the service.

Interesting discussions. While I'm not a techie, I think the pendant has a stabilizing mechanism, and when tilted or position is changed, it alarms and triggers a response.

I have a vague recollection of returning home after a VA trip and seeing the monitoring service calls on my caller ID. The pendant activated sometime during that visit, but I'm not sure when. And there was no fall that had occurred.

I've been present when calls have been activated and the monitoring service has called just when a seated change of position has occurred. It's also activated when a "sliding" fall has happened.

These devices have changed over the years. I used Phillips for my Mom. It had a motion sensor built in so if you fall the button would hit the floor. If you can't hit the button, an operator will call. If they get no response, 911 will be called. This cost about $50 a month. Some companies now have where u can be outside or away from home and can use the button. Your doctors office should have info n these companies. Maybe ur local Visiting Nurse Assoc. Even ur Health Insurance.

No "device" will prevent falls. The person must be committed to walking carefully, and paying attention to uneven surfaces, etc when they DO walk.

PT is great, although not many elders are compliant in continuing the exercises and staying mobile. I know mother, once the PT left, was back to stage one, falling and sliding to the ground at the slightest provocation. Her choice.

The "fall alert pendant" is GREAT in THEORY. But the person has to wear it. And the people who are contacted once it "goes off" have to ANSWER THEIR PHONES. Mother wears one, sort of, sometimes. It goes through the wash on the reg. It does NOT go off, even in the dryer. Weird. If your loved one is a "slider" or "slumper" it also will not go off, it seems to take a really fairly hard hit to work.

Also, most of them come with a button that can be pushed--but again, the elder has to KNOW what they are doing. Mother isn't strong enough in her hands to push the button. I think we're almost at the apartment-wide monitoring system so brother can see what she's doing 24/7. He hates the idea, as it really destroys any semblance of independence, but she chose to stay in her apt and wants to be independent.

She hasn't fallen in a few months, we get complacent. Or she falls and I don't know about it.

Garden Artist
I found a company who offers nationwide GPS service, no contracts, $30. Month. I travel a lot so this is great. Most of them only offer service in the home.

I actually just got the button necklace for my mom. The company told me that they do have automatic fall alerts pendants that do alert when they fall. However, if your parent is a "sinker" or one who just kind of slides down, the device cannot detect those falls near as well. They were honest and that's what my mom does so we just went with the necklace. Now if they only remember to push the button lol!

How is the device a "fall preventive?"
For "fall prevention" - you need to do Physical Therapy. You need to see how the person is walking - barefoot - so you can see if he/she is raising the toes on either foot while walking. I am telling you this from experience. I noticed earlier in the year that my DH raises his toes on his right foot whenever he walks. PT explained that it is from the fear of falling forward - it is done to balance. The problem is, when the person raises his toes, he pretty much IS going to fall if trying to backup or turn around, and they fall backwards because they cannot balance from this position. We are still working on this but Ray has not fallen now in a couple of months.

You're speaking of a device for a person who has fallen and can't get up? I know nothing of these - I am Ray's "help device" and I pick him up.

However, if your patient has a cell phone, pretty much they all have GPS I've been told. Go to the Alzheimer's website and see what might be available for you and covered by Medicare.