Is there any help available for walk in tubs for seniors that can't get in and out of the tub?

I have arthritis and the gout can't get out of the tub.

17

Answers

My mom has a tub in her apartment, which has a Tub cut out, costs about $200 to 400 dollars, the Cut out is just a cut made out of tub with a step of about 3 inches and about 20 inches wide, Dr can prescride and medicare or medicaid can help pay.
Reply to skyisblue

I’ve seen tubs that are cut off to create step-in. It should cost around $700.
Reply to jo2aqu

I had a walk-in shower (fit in regular bathtub space) installed for my Mom. I bought the unit at Lowe's for $1100.00 and the contractor $800.00 for installation. It was good when she had to have assistance bathing.Last year I had a Kohler walk-in bathtub with 10 hydrotherapy jets installed. Quick fill and drain. Total cost for the tub and installation was $10,400.00. I like it since I have rheumatoid arthritis. I am completely independent. It might be a little crowded if either of us had to have assistance. We have a separate walk-in shower with multiple shower heads and a built in bench which has plenty of room if assistance is needed. Also plenty of grab bars for safety.
Reply to anonymous439773

Jeannegibbs - my mother had a shower/bath chair for that very reason.
Reply to AnonymousMember

A major benefit of walk-in tubs is having the seat at ADA height. It is like sitting on a chair. Just cutting in a door does not achieve this. My husband could get up from a chair. He could not get up from sitting flat on the floor with his legs straight out (as you are in a regular tub.)

You need to increase the size of your pipes to and from the tub, to speed up filling and draining.

Air jets are much easier to keep clean than water jets.
Reply to jeannegibbs

A solution to the walk-in tub if money is a problem is a cut-down in the side of your existing tub. If your elder is still showering or being showered at home, and soaking in a tub full of water isn't really necessary or wanted, this could help. Call a local remodeling company that handles bathroom remodels and ask if they do it. We had one company in the area that specializes in tub installs and cut-downs.
New walk-in tub + costs associated with bathroom remodel to fit it: $4000+
Cut down in side of the tub: $800.
Huge difference!

They come into the home to do the work, cut down the side of the tub, finish off the opening in the side of the tub with a finished surface that is painted a slightly different color than the tub (so ivory instead of white, etc) - because they understand that elders have a problem with depth perception - so the slightly different color gives them some help with that - and the surface is painted with paint mixed with sand to help prevent slipping. The opening is 4" from the floor, so it's a very small threshold to step over into the tub. You can have it left as just an open cut-down, or have it fitted with a door (which costs a bit more) - in that way, you could still use it as a tub if you wanted.
I left ours open, though I do wish I'd put a door in it now that Mom is gone, because I'd have liked to use the tub sometimes.
Reply to AnonymousMember

DW love our step in tub. She is still able to stoop or squat down and soak up to to her chin. This may change as she gets worse but for now it can be great.
I like it also but I don't use because I fear she will need something while I am in it. I liked the fact that I can sit and wash my legs and get off of my feet, then there is the water jets to massage feet and legs when it gets up to the seat level.
Ours has a hand held shower that I use to rinse off while it drains.
It was expensive but felt it was worth it after DW had a slip in the shower. Shop around first, ask lots of questions before buying.
Reply to OldSailor

I work in a physical therapy facility and have heard many patients discuss their walk-in bathtubs. The most common problem is cost and limited warranty, but there are some other problems to consider. They can take a long time to fill and drain. This can be a problem when you are done - many people said they get very cold waiting for the water to drain. Most said they wished they had purchased tubs with heated surfaces or had a heat/sun lamp installed overhead. There is often a problem with leakage after these are in use for a while, and getting service can be tough. It is important to shop around, not only for the tub but for the service that follows.
Reply to fozwort

Just remember that you cannot fill or get out of the tub unless the door is closed. So essentially you wait inside for filling and draining

The walk-in tub is characterized by a door with a low step-in entrance sometimes as low as 2 inches from the bathroom floor, a comfortable anti-slip surface, therapeutic features that treat and alleviate many physical illnesses and ailments, and many personalized designs to choose from.
The walk-in tub eliminates the need for a guardian, personalizes the positions of grab bars, eliminates the possibility of slip-fall accidents with its anti-slip floor, and includes emergency switches to ensure the user's safety. These safety precautions make the walk-in tub the obvious choice for seniors in need for a home addition that improves their overall quality of life.
Reply to Ramsharef