Follow

I just found out that you can customize questions and answers on Amazon Alexa. So perhaps if you are sick of hearing your loved one ask the same questions over and over, it would be worthwhile to customize the questions and answers on that device and you wouldn’t have to keep answering! I already enjoy having my loved one ask Alexa the weather, the day and the date. So consider it. If you don’t think your loved one can call “Alexa” before asking the question, you can customize your device with your name eg “Pat- is John sick?” Good luck.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Yes, interesting.
Also the delusional elder who uses the excuse: "Alexa told me to do it!".
(1)

Oh how interesting!

I am not into bots telling me what to do & hate it when my phone says "hello, what can I do for you". (I can still type my search thankyou). I must disable that..

But I realise what a fuddy I am & that many love this tech.

When my hands curl up with arthritis I'm sure to become a convert.

Yes it could scare the pants of someone home alone who has forgotten the box talks etc. But wow! For the poor folk out there struggling, try it!

Alexi "it's Monday. It's your shower day today" 👍

Alexi "it's 5pm. It's time for your medication now. Your Doctor prescribed it for you". 👍
(1)

Consider repetitive questions a challenge: how can you answer them differently, or perhaps adding another dimension to them to create variations?
(1)

The way I deal with the repeated question issue is to give a response that requires the least energy from me -- so maybe I don't even stop what I'm doing or make eye contact, and just give a shrug or shake my head "no". Sometimes I'll walk out of view because they will forget they are awaiting an answer. Distraction may work, like asking my LO to fold towels, sort something for me, wash fruits & veggies or clean & slice something like a zucchini or whole bunch of mushrooms. It never feels good but IMO there's just no point in spending the time and effort in answering if they aren't going to ever remember anyway. Your LO won't be able to remember how to call on Alexa at all if it isn't in their long-term memory. Right now Alexa isn't in anyone's long-term memory. I keep calling mine Siri ;-)
(1)

KathleenQ, I think if someone has dementia, eventually as dementia progresses, that Alexa would become frightening to them. They may accidentally say Alexa and suddenly a voice answers and there is no one in the room.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter