Follow

I received the phone call at work at 4:46p.m. It took the ambulance approximately 25 minutes to reach the hospital which is a 10 minute drive from the nursing home. The nursing home stated that he was "doing much better" due to increase of his oxygen level to 76 percent. I had 5 minutes with him before he passed. He was pronounced dead at 5:30p.m. I am not understanding...looking for answers

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I was told by a nurse that carbon dioxide killed her husband. He had Lou Garrics desease. Hemoglobin carries oxygen thru the blood. When they don't do their job anymore carbon dioxide builds. With no oxygen the person passes. No amount of oxygen will help once the hemoglobin is not doing its job. You can ask if husbands levels had been checked and what was the reading.

Sometimes things just happen. So sorry for your loss.
(0)

Thumbelina I’m so very sorry for you loss. I so understand the need for answers. I hope you find what you are looking for but just understand, sometimes the answer is hard to hear and it won’t change anything.

There are a number of reasons why the ambulance ride took so long. Like others side, it takes time to get the patient stable enough for transport and then there is traffic. I remember when my dad had to take an ambulance ride, I actually beat him to the hospital! I had gotten a call at 7am from my aunt saying my dad had a heart attack and was in his way to the hospital and that the ambulance was going to take their time getting to the hospital. Turns out dad didn’t have a heart attack and the paramedics didn’t think it was his heart, he had just woken up and the left side of his body was completely numb. The hospital couldn’t figure out why it happened and he was fine within a couple days. It took me about 20 minutes to get ready and another 5 to walk to the hospital (it’s literally around the corner from my house and it’s faster to walk than it is to drive and find parking). I then sat in the ER waiting room for another 5-10 minutes before dad arrived! I guess if it’s an emergency, they drive fast with lights and sirens and if it’s not, they drive at regular speed and stop for all the lights.
(2)

Thumbillina, my heart felt sympathy to you and your family.

The ambulances are not the smoothest riding vehicles, and it would have been impossible to do a saline hookup to a vein with the vehicle bouncing along the road, and to run certain tests. Thus, as shakingdustoff's post above, it is standard operating procedures not to start rolling until the patient has been hooked-up, and what other tests are needed while not in motion.

Plus to know what hospital is accepting patients in their ER or if they are on bypass, meaning one would need to go to the next nearest hospital. Then there probably was rush hour traffic to contend with, and that will slow an ambulance down.  I have a feeling you are thinking if the only the ambulance had gotten to the hospital quicker.
(4)

Thumbillina--
I am sorry for your loss.

As far as "answers", you will probably never get satisfaction on that point. People die b/c their bodies give out. We don't have a magic crystal ball that will tell us that "x" day is the day they'll pass.

Wondering and beating yourself up over what "happened" is useless and will take you down a dark path. You knew your hubby was ill, probably close to dying. I'm sorry you did not get more " last minute" time with him, but give yourself time to grieve and when you get the drs report, I hope that gives you some clarity.

{{Hugs}}
(3)

Thumbillina I am sorry for the loss of your husband It may be best to let it go You did get to say goodbye and you never have to deal with these people again.
(2)

Thumbillina,
I, too, am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband.
Sometimes, during our grief, a lot of things don't "fit together".
Are you wondering why it took the ambulance 25 minutes to get to the hospital instead of 10?
Have you asked the NH, ambulance company or hospital this question?

Did the NH tell you he was doing better with more oxygen the same day he went to the hospital?
When a person looses the ability to move oxygen around the body and there is already oxygen on, they would call the ambulance for transport to the hospital.

Do you have a "cause of death" on the death certificate? It would be helpful to know what is listed. A pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lung) can be fatal. It doesn't matter if they have oxygen on or not.

You really need to know what the doctor deemed as the cause of his death. It might make more sense then.
(5)

Thumbillin
I’m really sorry to hear about your husband’s death. It is always a shock even though we may know death is imminent.
Forgive me but I’m not sure what it is that you are trying to understand.
The length of time it took the ambulance to reach the hospital? Your husband’s oxygen level? Hopefully it will be clearer to other readers or you will give us a few more details.
I am glad you were able to see him before he passed. I extend my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear husband and I hope you find peace.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter