Follow

So sad. This has been validated in cities by police departments. Police have started telling the public not to open the door to anyone wearing a hazmat suit.

They are saying the crimes are being committed due to fear. People are losing jobs and becoming fearful and irrational. Some people in desperate times do desperate things.

Stay safe everyone. Be cautious. Don’t open your door to strangers.

Also, what do you think about the prisoners being released due to coronavirus? I understand the prisoner needs medical care. I understand they are concerned about the spreading of the virus.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
GA,

Just read posting and responded. I agree that he was acting suspiciously. You did dodge a bullet. Stay safe.
(0)

I think I "dodged the bullet" a few days ago:

https://www.agingcare.com/discussions/safety-issues-during-the-coronavirus-period-457543.htm

Thanks to everyone who shared experiences and advice; now I realize I wasn't just being paranoid.
(3)

That has not happened here in our town. Need: I agree, pretty dumb.
(1)

Cali,

Yes, some people must be bored and think it’s cool to get attention for fabricated reports. That’s so dumb. Plus, it spreads rumors.

In our case, our local police officers went on television and gave warnings and telling the public of incidents to keep people safe. It wasn’t random people making odd claims.
(0)

It hasn’t been validated here. In fact, someone thought it would be funny to take a picture of a couple painters who went fishing on their lunch break down in Long Beach and then post it on Facebook & claim that they were dressed in hazmat suits & going door to door claiming to be checking for the corona virus and then they were robbing the house! I have seen numerous copy cat posts. One even originated in my city and was quickly debunked. Someone’s house was being painted and someone took a picture of the painter in his white “hazmat suit” aka painters coveralls and they said made the same allegation as the original story out of Long Beach. And it was fabricated. The home owner even commented that it was his painter, friends of the painter even backed him up. And I know for a fact that no one here has been robbed by people dressed in white hazmat gear!
(2)

I think we will always see the good and bad side of humanity during a crisis. We are experiencing bad news on a very large scale and doing so together, as a group but at the same time being socially isolated. It’s a weird combination of emotions.

Many years ago my husband was laid off from work. It’s very odd who comes forth to comfort at times. Sometimes it’s the unexpected people.

We had a neighbor that we weren’t all that close to offer help. People we were close to ignored our situation. Thank God, we had savings that we used until he got a job.

It’s the same with those who are mourning the loss of a loved one. Some people continue to love and acknowledge them as friends and family.

I know others during mourning who were shunned. I can tell you of a friend of mine who was exceptionally beautiful. Sadly, she became a widow very young. I remained friends with her.

She was my good friend and I cared about her. Some people shunned her afterwards because they didn’t want her near their husbands. She was not the least bit interested in their husbands.

They didn’t want their husbands near her because she was beautiful and they felt threatened by her. She was so hurt. It’s sad that she was shunned by her friends after losing her husband.

Often times it is during a crisis is when we find out who really cares. We also see that some will take advantage or commit crimes. Horrible!
(3)

My locked glass storm door helped save me once; the man said "I'm not afraid of a dog" (my large dog was barking like a maniac at him thru the door), and jerked the door - but it didn't open, thank God.... He gave me a nasty look and left; I can only imagine what he had in mind. I have no problem not even answering the door lately, tho I DO go and make sure the horses are ok after they leave; twice someone told us of a problem with them.
(3)

Oh, guess I can no longer use my avatar hazmat suit as a joke anymore. I did not know this was going on. I did not know this thread existed until just now.

There are medical doctors now posting PSA (public service announcements) online. I thought that was so compassionate, especially the doctor teaching how to bring in your groceries and wash the packages and fruit, using sterile 'aseptic' techniques used in surgery in the hospital.

Thinking about this, I understood that these doctors have time to video a PSA because they were sent home to be quarantined after having cared for the sick.
(2)

We have been told by the Police to watch out for people claiming to be the Red Cross doing home testing. At this point, I wouldn't allow anyone in my house but family and that would only be because I have to with watching grandson. I have a storm door that locks and I can talk thru.
(5)

I think it is exceptionally important to beware fake news and urban myth just now. We have quite enough to be concerned about with people being scared out of their wits about potential civil unrest, looting and convicts on the loose. What's happening in *your* neighbourhood? How are people looking after each other where *you* live? Be alert, certainly, but be guided by what you see for yourself.

I agree that householders, especially elderly householders, should not open their doors to any unexpected visitor who does not present valid ID, which the visitor should display clearly enough for the householder to make a phone call to verify it. Any legitimate visitor will be patient and talk the householder through the process; and if the visitor is not patient and understanding in this way then either he is not legitimate or at best he's not doing his job properly.
(8)

No, haven't heard.  That's horrible.  Police should carry their statement further: Don't open door to strangers, as you said.  Unfortunately, this may only be the beginning as others won't ring bells or knock; they'll bust doors down, windows out.  All know most people have been told to stay home, so they know someone's likely there.  With the recent run to buy guns, ammo, it could eventually be the last time they do it.. or anything.

Terrible idea to release prisoners due to coronavirus.  Better to quarantine IN the prisons in separate areas and social distancing as they can .. in their cells.  They can't go out anywhere without infecting someone, getting infected.. and maybe don't care anyway.  That's the last thing we need.. running amuck.

Prisoners who are able could make use of being able to do something to help in work areas under armed and video supervision, like making face masks, gowns, tools to go into whatever's needed, etc. 
(3)

This situation is going to bring out irrational behavior in some people.

The police have told people that when they are in doubt call 911. They want to catch the people who are robbing homes.

Sadly, robbers will use this scam to scare the homeowners into opening up their door.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter