Follow

Hi everyone.

This may be moved, if so that's okay.

As I write this, it has been one week since being discharged from the facility.

Sadly, the experience mirrored roughly what a few members have posted about going to/being in one.

The good, therapy team is top notch, very caring people, as well as a few nurses and aides.

Negative, the administration. What it all boils down to, good or bad facilities, it is a business that is all about the money.

In my case, insurance stopped paying because I had reached a point I didn't need skilled nursing care. The facility did not notify me until a couple days after the non-payment. They used the intimidation antics to try to get me out before this non payment would take affect.

To make the story short, they issued a discharge notice, I appealed and actually won, even though they had a 2 day advance notice to my 2 hours. During the hearing,they changed they reason for the discharge from non-payment to not needing this type of service anymore. The hearing officer did not buy it, and was really rough on them, especially the attempted "dumping" me at a facility, knowing I would probably be turned away.

Having to issue another 30-day notice probably made them pi**ed off. The 30 days ended, ironically on Good Friday. The Social Worker tried to make the last few days as difficult as he could. No ride was arranged ( even though they don't pay for it) and no discharge meeting was held either ( which is another story)

In short, being in a facility ain't cr*p. It may not be so much from medical staff and/or aides, but from the facility. Facilities are your "friends" as long as the money keeps flowing. The real test is when it stops. I personally wouldn't wish my worst enemy to have to go to one of these places.

I thank all of you who have been encouraging to me the time I have been in this facility and will do all I can to make sure to never go back to any one again.

Thank you all 🙏🏾

I’m so glad you got out!
(1)

Oh Cover,

I am so sorry to hear that your place was vandalized. That’s awful. I am glad that you have a place to stay temporarily.

So sorry that you are having issues with the facility. I hope the investigation goes as smoothly as possible.

It’s very difficult when difficulties occur all at once.

Take care of yourself.
(0)

@ NeedHelpWithMom

Thank you!!

I'm doing the best I can, but the hits?, they keep on coming .

Finally made it back to our home to find it boarded up. Upon doing research, it was found to be an O.V.V (Open, Vacant Vandalized). One of the parts that hurt, this happened around the time I was quarantined for COVID ( or maybe getting COVID was a cover to protect from the sight and hurt of seeing our home this way).

Luckily I am able to stay at an AirBnB for a short time, but it's not a long term solution. As of this writing, the facility still has not sent discharge papers. ( Needed to prove to SS I'm not there anymore).With the first coming up next Wed, I'll be denied my full payment. There has been a complaint with the Health Department made, but it can take a month or more for it to be investigated.

Social Worker probably did this as retaliation since I said no to going to a group home.

You take care as well, NeedHelpWithMom!!

Thanks again!!
(1)

Cover,

You sound like you are in pretty good spirits. I do understand that you are tired of dealing with all of this.

Anyone who is going through health issues for long periods of time is bound to get tired.

I hope that you will find a viable solution soon. Keep us updated on your progress.

We all know that some facilities aren’t up to par in certain areas and others are doing an excellent job of caregiving.

It really helps when there are advocates overseeing our needs. If you don’t have any advocates, please continue to speak up for yourself. Give credit where it’s due and make suggestions for any areas that need improvement.

Take care.
(1)

@BurntCaregiver

Hi!!

Thank you as well!!

Sad but very true. You're so correct. Many administrators take advantage of residents who may have cognitive decline and don't know when they're being taken advantage of. I'm so glad you were an advocate for your father. Sadly again, many residents aren't that lucky.

At the facility, the administrators were around the residents when either the state was in the building, and it was resident's week and month.

Funny you mentioned the ombudsman, I'm actually leaving her a message, since I've filed a complaint against the Social Worker for the way the discharge was handled (no care plan, medicine information, services after discharge, etc). I had more discharge information from my 11 day hospital stay then from the facility.

I'm so glad to be out of there!!. A few nurses are getting ready to leave as well. This facility has to recruit for workers hard, since in NE OH there is stiff competition in the medical field including NHs for workers, so those looking for jobs in this field are firmly in control!
(3)

BarbBrooklyn

It is a Skilled Nursing Facility that offers therapy. The judge granted it because the way the facility handled the matter of the proposed discharge.

One of the points that lost it for them, they were proposing a discharge to a facility offering similar to them. Not needing Skilled Nursing, I probably would have been quickly discharged. Good for the current facility, since I'd be off their property. In other words, it was a sort of "dumping" similar to if I would have gone to the hospital.

Losing the appeal, along with several visits from the state, probably was the reason the administrator was let go.

Their new social worker is trying to make a name for himself, that maybe his downfall; that's his business, now.
(1)

As you know already from my many discussions on this forum, that I would not trust one person on the administration staff of any care facility as far as I could throw one. They will do anything to maximize profit because these people have no shame. No action short of literally wheeling a resident out onto the curb is too low-down for these people.

You are right about when the money stops so does the care. When my father was in the nursing home for a few months before he died, I had to be on top of them like a vicious attack dog night and day. If I wasn't who knows if he would have gotten any care at all.

I am truly happy for you that you're out of the facility. You should still communicate with your state's Ombudsman though. You were neglected and mistreated. There may also be financial abuse.
(2)

@ NeedHelpWithMom

Hi
Thank you very much!!

I'm doing good, thanks. I'm focusing on stable housing, now. Hopefully that will be rectified soon.

The therapists really are the best. I asked one of them before I left, if he was going to be there when I came back to visit. He said most of them have been there at least 15 years ( the secret to their longevity is they stay mostly to themselves). There was one I was really close to and was sad to see him leave in November, but he found a similar job closer to his home. It was an emotional day for his coworkers when he said goodbye. He is one of the best.

I'm doing all I can not to return. I really don't want to go through this experience again.

Thanks for asking about the eating!! Yes I'll be eating better, as for the facility, they're trying to rebuild their food prep system. I was there longer then the new dietician they had hired!! At my next appointment with my PCP, we'll probably talk about diet and health.

I've contacted council on aging along with a few other programs, but am so burned out on this experience I'm tempering my enthusiasm until I see how this works out.
(2)

@ AndSoItGoes

Hi!

Thank you very much!! I really do hope the posts can help others!! It sure was a longer then I expected journey, but I met some wonderful caring people who made the "journey" bearable. The therapy team is truly top notch

Thanks so much again!!
(1)

@MargaretMcKen

Hi

Thank you!! Fair enough.

You mean the facility got their money's worth!! I actually did not know about the insurance issue until Jan. The facility told me nothing until then. They did go through the NP leaving the end of the year, so that may have played a part in not knowing .

The appeal was for not giving 30 day notice which they are required to do. They actually tried to sway the hearing their way, by notifying me the day of the hearing 2 hours before it was held. They also changed the reason for the discharge on the notice from non paying to not needing SNF level of care. The hearing officer saw right through that among a couple other issues and ruled against them in my favor.

I didn't expect to be there for free. One of the reasons I was there was being enrolled in Ohio's Home Choice Program, which helps people who want to leave a facility move from one to the community with help. One of the eligibility factors is being in the facility. If you leave before finding a new home, you're terminated from the program, which happened to me.

I came to accept that. It's all good and at least it will be of help to someone else. The one thing, though, I was the first in line to get a Voucher to help with housing being in the program.

The Transition Coordinator mentioned the same, you're on your own when it comes to finding housing, being out of the program. Care, that is coming along nicely.
(1)

@Alvadeer.

Hi!
Thank you very much as well !!

Answering your question, I'm doing the best I can, but really glad to be out of the facility even though there are some wonderful people still there.
(1)

@ BarbBrooklyn
Hi!

Thank you very much!!

I'm halfway to being home, I'm currently in an AirBnB since there is concerns about my living conditions.
(0)

Cover, I have a question.

You seem to be saying that the judge granted you another "30 days"?. Was this rehab, or an Assisted Living facility you were in?

And what was the other facility that was going to turn you away?
(0)

Cover.

How are you doing now?

I am glad that you received good care from the physical therapists in your facility.

Hopefully, you will not have to return to the facility soon. If you do, maybe you can select another place that will satisfy all of your needs.

If I remember correctly, most of your complaints were about your dietary restrictions. Are you managing to eat better at home?

Have you contacted Council on Aging in your area to inquire if you could get assistance from them while you are at home?
(0)

Congrats, Cover! I join the others in hoping that you have sufficient support post-discharge.
I've greatly appreciated your dispatches from "the inside." This was a true public service.
(5)

My question exactly
(1)

Hi! Your “insurance stopped paying because I had reached a point I didn't need skilled nursing care”. Insurance and the facility both agreed on that. So did the appeal hearing. You were there for a very long time, you certainly got your money's worth. You never liked it, complained a lot, so why did you want to stay if you didn’t need it? And why do you think they should have kept you for free? I’m curious!

Now it's time to use the brains which you certainly have, to work out your future living and care arrangements.
(5)

Are you feeling comfortable and supported now that you are home, Cover?
You long wanted to get out of care, but I worry you may not have enough support to remain home. What do you think so far?
(5)

Dear Cover, I'm glad you were well enough to be discharged from rehab!

Are you home?
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter