Has anyone experienced a parent having ECT for depression?

What is ECT?
It is Electric Convulsive Therapy. The psych hospital puts electrodes on the head and sends electric waves to the brain. It alters the chemistry in the brain when medicine no longer is working for severed depression.It requires 12 treatments and monthly maintenance. It is a last resort for my mother and the nurses at the facility my moms at feel she is a good candidate. It is going to take some convincing and fancy talking to get my mother to agree to it. I'm letting the professionals talk to her.
I thought that was what you were talking about. Buszmum, I have heard good things about this ECT. It sounds like you are talking to the professionals about this, and are doing the best you can for your mother. You said you've tried other things already. You are being so conscientious and careful about your mother's care; I trust that the pros will give you quality advice.

I haven't.
I understand that electroshock therapy has come a long way since the 1950's. It used to be what horror movies were made of. Now I hear that the patient is sedated first before any shocking is done, and there is no trauma of going through such a thing. Now if they could just come up with a way to shock the dementia brain into working again... kinda like a jump start back to normalcy.
Wow, naheaton , maybe you're onto something! With your idea of shocking the dementia brain into working again.