How do you transport seriously ill patients to another hospital in another state?

Asked by

My boyfriend and I are about to make a tough decision about what to do with his mother who lives out of state. She is quickly deteriorating from Vasculitis. She is now unable to care for herself. Can anyone say how difficult it is to transfer a hospital patients to another state so they can be closer to family?

Answers 1 to 10 of 28
Top Answer
I should mention also that She is currently in a hospital. We feel the doctors are not providing the appropriate care she needs to get her health back. She has no family in the state she lives therefore we can't monitor her progress. She is only 63!! Not sure how much medicare or medicaid can help. How do we take control of some of her assets so we don't go into financial debt from her medical bills? Do we bring her to where we live and put her in another hospital where we can watch over her or try to do it from a distance? How do we get started?
It is probably too late to take control of her assets if she is going to apply to medicaide there is now a look back period of 5 years-but after her own money is spent down then she will be able to get medicaide but you are not responsible for her medicial bills and will not be in debt for her medicial bills,after her money is gone she will be able to get medicaide for herself. I would contact an elder lawyer who can give you information about medicare and medicaide so no mistakes are made that would hurt in the future. If she has to be in a nursing home it is best to have her near where you live so you can be part of her care plan.A private ambulance company would probably transport her to a hospital but you would be able to ask different companies and see what the expense would be but the first step would be the elder lawyer who would be able to advise you.
i agree with 195 austin ,
all those ??? you will have to sit and talk to your mother and then talk to soical worker in the hospital shes in now and go from there .
you can only do one thing at a time and it takes a while to get things done ,
i admired you for wanting your mom to be closer to you , bless you . wish you the best luck . keep in touch !
If she has medicare check with them to see if they would pay for the transport and then contact EMS agency-many will transport pt.s to another state.
Hospital has to request the intended "send to hospital" accept her as a transfer pt. From the "sending" hospital. SW's or care managers usually handle these arrangements. Because hospitals discharge so rapidly now, if care is bad, ask for her to be transferred up to a teaching hospital affiliated w a med school. They will give her better care and she will likely be ready for a direct discharge sooner. Then you can work on move-The better (new) facility can offer advice about the level of care she will need. May be a more workable approach? Good luck!
I would like to try and help a friend of mine. He is bedbound. I live in Georgia he lives in Florida. He does not need hospice, he just needs around the clock care. He doesn't have a lot of money. He pays for his care now, but it's not 24 hours a day. He makes on average $3,200 a month. That isn't much money to pay monthly bills and caregivers. Anyway, does anyone know a safe way, and reasonable (cost wise) way he could be transprted to Georgia? Any help would be appreciated.
My mom was with me in TN when she fell and broke her hip. She was in the hospital here and after recovery I had her transported back to NC to be close to home and nearer to the rest of the family. The hospital arranged for the rural metro ambulance company to take her and it was billed to her medicare. There should be a hospital person in charge of arranging care for patients who leave the facility. You also have to have an attending physician on your end willing to accept her when she arrives.
caringsis & debbie - neither of your situations are where they are in a hospital, correct? This can get really sticky as ambulance transfer across state lines usually requires medical orders for Medicare to pay their portion and for the ambulance service to do a pickup. You need to meet with their MD's to get a # of things done: transfer request; duplicate chart; new prescriptions (the medications situation is also sticky in that some meds if they are class 3 or 4 cannot come from an out of state MD....well they can but the pharmacy has to do a load of paperwork and most won't fill it because of that); make sure you have at least 30 days of medications too in addition to the new prescriptions; also the patient will need to sign off for you to have full access on thier medical records - when you go to their doc's with them the office will have the HIPPA forms. Write in bold letters that you - put your full name as it appears on your license - have full access to any & all medical or health care documents. As LCross said, you need an attending MD at your end......very important.

Also keep in mind, Medicare is nationwide federal entitlement program but MedicAID is a state & federal joint program and administered by each state under each states rules and management. This can get tricky when you try to move them and on Medicaid....they need to establish new residency for the new state. Some of this is easy like a new drivers license and voter registration. Now if they had a home in the old state and qualified for MedicAID, it was all kum-ba-ya as the home was an exempt asset. But when they move to another state, the home is NO LONGER exempt property and is now a counted asset so has to be sold in order for them to get Medicaid in the new state. If you are not DPOA, you need to be in order to deal with all this. This can be a real nightmare to deal with if you don't have someone at each place to deal with the property. I did some outreach after Hurricane Katrina and this situation was very common for elderly who still had their homestead exempt property and found themselves moved to another state & ineligible and that was back in 2005 when most states were not facing severe financial shortfalls and lots more understanding on exemptions. My late MIL was in a NH in NOLA and some of the ladies had to move back to Louisiana NH even though they had no family there as they could not qualify for other states Medicaid because of still having a homestead in LA and family could not private pay.

Deb - $ 3,200 a month in just income is quite a lot and about $ 1,200 a month over Medicaid eligibility for income. Medicaid "asset" & "income" limits. If you & he find that he really needs Medicaid to pay for his health care and needs and if his assets are at the Medicaid limit and all that is keeping him from getting Medicaid is the extra $ 1,200 in income then you need to see an elder care attorney to do a "Miller Trust" or a "Qualified Income Trust". The trust allows the person to qualify for Medicaid even with too high income. Say a person gets 1K from SS & 2,500K from retirement every mo. Income=$3,500. Basically $ 1500 over ceiling for monthly income. No matter what is always is $1500 over. So this excess $ 1500 is what funds the trust and therefore income is now 2K and within the states income ceiling for Medicaid. The beneficiary of the trust is state's Medicaid program and upon death reverts to the state. Miller really has to be done by an attorney who does elder law as it needs to be flexible/adaptable and meet the criteria of each state's law on probate (death laws) & Medicaid rules. It is not a do it yourself project.

Good luck.
We moved my mom after surgery from Ohio to Texas with a company called National Medical Transport. They were wonderful! Two drivers and an RN in a motor home. Very professional and attentive. Not inexpensive but well worth it to have her close by.

Wish you luck
My 2 daughters father is in Delaware,in a nursing home,yesterday he had a stroke from a aneurysm,he is on medicare and they want to move him to a hospital in NJ,because,he will be closer to them and they can monitor his care.
He is only 69 and all of his family is here sister, aunt,cousin will medicare pay for transport

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support