I'm receiving calls from work that is adding stress, while I'm busy traveling to a Trauma Hospital for my Mom. How do I tell my boss?

My co-worker is jealous of my time off to fly to Trauma Center for Mom. I was gone last Mon/Tue/Wens and it was our 3rd trip out of town to the Trauma Hospital. They called me while we were at the hospital doing X-rays and follow-up appt. with the orthopedic surgeon. The call was about a routine task and was not an emergency. I couldn't believe my ears. My boss probably doesn't know that they called me.

37

Answers

1 2 3 4
I keep my boss posted on trips and the times I will be out of the office. When I get a call if its important I simply reply with a text with a brief answer and I will call you later when I get home. If its not important I don't respond at all since I made prior arrangements to be out of the office. Delegate and let them handle it.

Lord, I hope you know that you need to CYA to protect yourself for when the crisis comes. It's sad that people manipulate the need for services to serve their own benefits. But then what person in his/her right mind would filibuster for hours on end as we saw last year?

I'm wondering if there's a syndrome that involves lack of responsibility and refusal to do the best job one can for one's employer.

Glad, I worked at one time for one of those agencies, not a governmental agency but one with a commercial purpose but dedicated statutory authority for the services it provided.

One of the men had been laid off from one of the Big 3 automakers, was close to retirement, and bragged that he just needed a place to coast until he was ready to retire.

And coast he did. It wasn't unusual to see him in his office with his arms folded back behind his head in a relaxed position and his feet up on the desk.

He dipped into the supplies when he had a picnic at home, taking coffee, filters, etc. Made no effort to even be discreet.

Another one had a similar attitude. He was a "rounder" - like doctors, he made the rounds daily. Unlike doctors, he didn't help. He went to different departments walking around talking to people, then back to his office to sit for awhile.

But those were only a few out of a few hundred. Still, I was ecstatic when one of them got laid off, until I heard that he sued for age discrimination.

Some people practice sponging as if it were a career. Well, maybe it is!

Yes, I know I can be replaced. It used to be we had a staff of seven, now we have two. I've asked for years, my boss has asked too, management won't hire another person. They are going to wait until they get their names in the newspaper, as a result of a payroll failure for the retirees, before they do anything. Oh what a horrible thought, that will be just horrible. The governor will be involved, the feds...

Lori, nobody is indispensable. And it also seems it would be in your best interest to request someone else be trained in case something were to happen to you. So much of the government is not working and if this is actually the case it is in the best interests of the citizens of this country to have a cross training program put in place. I have heard of agencies in my area with the same problems that management just does not care and are only hanging out for retirement benefits.

Maggie Marshall, I work for a government agency and there is no one here that knows my job and my managers' simply don't care. I take care of a computer system that runs 3 different payrolls. I have the phone number now, so I'll know not to answer it the next time. Next trip is this coming December.

turn off your phone or put it on vibrate and don't answer unless a recognized number

If the call is from work while you are attending to the medical needs of a loved one, send it to voicemail and get back to them when it is convenient for you. My last job, I made it clear that my family came first. They either accepted it or I would have looked for another job. Caring for your mom has priority. You can get back to them after you are finished with the doctors

1. Keep track of the calls. Write down when he called and what he wanted/needed, also what you told him. This documents his actions.
2. Speak with Human Resources about Family Leave, how it applies in your company, and what your rights and responsibilities are. Get the policy in writing.
3. Meet with your supervisor/boss and let him/her know the situation and how you are handling your work. Nicely state that you have met with HR to be clear as to what you can and cannot do.
4. Let your boss/supervisor know that you received a call from the co-worker while you were away and you would like an agreement with the boss/supervisor regarding who it is the coworker is to go to if he has a question or concern about any work product while you are out of the office. Although this applies currently to your situation with your parent, in most places I've worked there is a protocol as to whom you are to address questions if your coworker or supervisor is not available.
5. Do you have friends in the office? If so, casually, over lunch, give them some insight into what is happening with your parent and your dedication to completing your work. It sounds as though a number of people need to let the coworker know that his remarks about his father are not acceptable.
6. AGAIN, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT everything that happens.
7. If your company has an Employee Assistance/Counseling Program, make an appt. Let them know that you are under quite a bit of stress and that you want to learn some ways of coping during this challenging time.

I would be frank with this coworker. People are amazing aren't they? Ask them if they would like to switch places. It's so much fun to fly these days and deal with someone in the hospital. I would point that out to them. They need a reality check that isn't a "vacation" and you would rather be at work and your mother be at home.

1 2 3 4