Paying a companion for Mom. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

Paying a companion for Mom. Any advice?

My mom can afford a companion, one day s week so I can get out to do errands. We will pay $15 an hour for 5 hours. Should I write a check or pay cash? I don't want a contract, or pay taxes and don't care about tax deduction. I just don't want a problem with this if our when mom may need to pay for Medicaid in the future.
Thanks for any info.

55

Answers

1 3 4 5
Oooops...sorry

The lady that I hired came from a web site called care They have lots of applicants with all kinds of skills from companion all the way to RN. We just needed a companion. The asking pay on this site is $5 per hour to $50 per hour. It's a registry, not an agency. It's a place where caregivers can post and so can those who need caregivers. I have been very pleased.

I go with an agency and am able to request the same person every time. I try to go the same day each week so that i Can get her (i am Very happy with her), as i think it is important not to confuse our loved one by bringing in several different care givers. Plus, the One knows where everything is and what Mom likes to eat etc. I hope it stays that way.

If you don't want any ties, pay cash, if Mom's funds are dwindling down to where it will be CLOSE to needing medicare, even the "last 2 years" of care, pay with a check. You need to show them "where the money went" when the time comes. But this typically is needed when you are paying a full time Caretaker.

With the agencies in St. Louis, 2/3rds of the agencies I worked for let the client interview 3 girls & picked theirself.

Also, you can set up interviews for the applicants that you are interested in and get a feel if they would be a good fit. With the agency, you have no choice as to who they send.

Also, I pay her directly. It's up to her if she files taxes.

I have a caregiver for Mom. I pay her $10.00 and hour. This lady is NOT a medical professional, but she took care of her Mom with the same issues as my Mother and she is very good with her.

I hired someone. She starts this week and I liked her a lot. I had an agency and the wench stole my new coat, a lamp out of our living room, some flower bulbs and gawd knows what else that I'll never figure out. Luckily she didn't get my mother's jewelry or mine. She was only there on Saturdays for half days and the agency told me that they background checked everybody. Well nay nay.

Update: the companion is doing a good job with mom. I pay her via bank transfer as she shows up and memo says companion then date. I Hope this continues to work. So far $15 an hour and one day. We may up it took two days in the future.

1 3 4 5