My Grandpa had a severe kidney infection that was borderline septic. Was hospitalized for a week and sent to a rehab for a few weeks. Once he got admitted to the hospital his memory started to get foggy. They said this happens in elderly when they get UTIs and infections. He couldn’t tell us the year. It’s been almost 4 weeks and his memory is still shot and his infection has cleared up. They started him on a memory drug, memantine. He has forgotten how to dial numbers, his favorite channels, and some short and long term memory stuff. CT scan was clear of strokes... they told us this would go away but I’m starting to wonder. Anyone go through this? When will I get my grandpa back?? Never been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Was literally fine the day before, this is all sudden.

Yes - my mom is a stroke survivor and with every UTI she has cognitive loss and confusion (which is when I know to check for infection). But she also gets worse with some of the antibiotics so we have to be very careful which ones we can use to treat the infection. She ended up last year with severe toxic encephalopathy from cephalosporin antibiotics and can never have them again.
So not only can an infection cause delirium and cognitive loss but so can the medications used to treat them. It took her awhile to get her losses back after the encephalopathy - but this year after a uti she had a faster recovery and easier time with different antibiotics. Larger infections may take longer but my mom has regained all her losses - and did speech therapy just to speed it along.
I would make sure he is clear from a UTI (as sometimes any infection can some back - so ask for him to be retested) as well as ask for bloodwork and check all electrolytes (low electrolytes or dehydration can also cause cognitive decline). 🙏🏼
Reply to Momheal1

UTIs and cognition decline is very common in the elder and yes it happens quite often. If the infection is resolved and cognition is not improving you might want to check for dehydration that is another reason for poor cognition.

you might want to make an appointment with a neurologist for a check up,
Reply to SusanHeart

It can happen. Has your grandpa been seen by a geriatric specialist? An evaluation would be appropriate here.
Reply to golden23

He may never get back to his "base line" cognition.
If he does not have dementia the memory loss may not worsen but be prepared if it does.
I would have him evaluated by a Neuropsychologist. More thorough then either a psychologist or a neurologist. A Neuropsychologist will and can work with a neurologist to get the best diagnosis.
With each infection or illness he may have a bit of a decline.
Reply to Grandma1954

Be prepared for him to not recover his memory all the way. Elderly people tend to take a big step down cognitively after major medical issues occur.
Reply to MJ1929

It is quite common even for younger people and it can last for 6 months or longer. I read a large paper on surviving sepsis and cognitive and depression were common
Grandma1954 Jun 12, 2021
that is encouraging to see/read.
(0)