Father was told his heart function is at 15% after echo cardiogram. What does this mean?

What does it mean when your CHF is at 15% and at stage 3 renal failure? Father is age 91 but living independently. His mind is still sharp as a tack

22

Answers

1 2 3
@Timbuktu: I wish I could touch the 'like' button a thousand times!

Amarjitkaur, periodically someone asks a similar question. I can understand the desire to know how long someone (including us) will live, but I think there's another way to address this issue.

On any given day anyone of us could be involved in a fatal accident whether at home or on the road. We could contract a contagious disease, or experience any number of catastrophes that could cause imminent or impending death.

If you knew when she would die, how would you live life differently? Do that now so that there are no regrets when it does happen.

So I say live your life to the fullest, enjoy your mother while she's here and make every day worthwhile for both of you.

Amarjitkaur, I expect your mother's doctor has already refused to give you an exact answer to that question? If so, he or she isn't being obstructive: it really is impossible to say.

As your mother has managed to get this far, although she is still ill, you are at least out of the worst danger zone because her risk of having another heart attack is now less than it was - the first week or two are the most dangerous if I remember correctly. From here, how long she lives depends on so many different factors such as:

the underlying cause of her heart attack
her general physical condition
her willingness to co-operate with recommended therapies
access to medications, plus their suitability for her

At first sight, the thought of kidney and heart function being only 20% is extremely alarming. But there is much more to those figures than just the bare numbers. If you look up "CKD stages" you will find lots of good information explaining how kidney function is measured and what the test results mean.

Similarly, the 20% for her heart function probably relates to the "ejection fraction". If so, 20% is severely reduced but it is, believe it or not, liveable with for quite a long time.

I don't know if you will find this thought comforting, but when your mother has reached or is reaching the advanced stages of heart and kidney disease the thing to do is to focus on her own personal sense of wellbeing rather than worry about what lies ahead and when the worst may come. Many things can be done to relieve her symptoms and keep her comfortable.

Are you her primary caregiver? Where is your mother living?

my mom is 81 year old she had a heart attack three weeks ago doctor told us her kidney and heart only working 20 percent .how long she will live.

My husband has been very unwell and his heart was 15%he has been on medication for the last 3 months and now it is 35% and he is so much better will he get better still in time or is this a good result

my father passed away back in February from chf and renal failure I was asked by his doctors to put him on dialysis and tube down his throat to help him breathe he had said never to put him on any machines so I had to put him on a morphine drip he passed 12 hours later very difficult decision

my moms heat was only functioning at 15%, when she died. Heart disease has gone through 4 generations in our family. With that low percentage maybe 2 years and that's stretching it. On the day my mom, she got up and walked 2 miles as she did each morning, came home showered and went to the salon to have her hair done, she then got dressed and went to a funeral talking with the family after funeral she looked like the picture of health. After the funeral she went home and cooked her dinner for later that evening (it was still on the stove we got to home after she died). After preparing her dinner she then got dressed again and picked up a friend and drove to Louisiana for a church service in her honor. No more than an hour into the program, her heart failed and she died that night. It was that quick, but she was active until the night she died. She too had congestive hearth failure and would retain fluid, but she was on water pills and that helped a lot. God kept my mom, and we know, because the doctors said the things she was doing on a daily basis that she should have not been able to do, because her heart was so weak. She was 76 years old at time of death. She also had a defibrillator.

my father had open heart surgery a year ago and two stents ten years ago. over 40 years with diabetes and his heart is functioning at 15%. His kidneys are failing him and his heart is not holding the dialysis. I need a specialist for a second opinion from a speciaist in the United States as he is not presently being treated in the u.s

Wow! That sounds like the diagnosis my dad was given 2 years ago just short of his 91 st birthday. He lived another year and half. Be prepared to help make his life easier such as a lift chair, scooter etc. My dad aldo needed to move into assisted living a couple of months after his diagnosis. But he continued to live each day fully up until he passed. Cherish every day you have left.

These questions as to low ejection fraction and what it means in terms of your life are best asked of your cardiologists. There could be co-morbidity factors and other issues that no one here can address in part because we don't know your medical histories or conditions, but also because we're generally not medical people.

Those who are could still only give general advice without knowing more specifics for you, and it's not fair to put them in the position of giving advice that could be relied on when they don't have access to the full medical history or other current conditions that affect your outlooks.

1 2 3