Find Senior Care (City or Zip)
Join Now Log In
A
AsianDaughter Posted June 2022

My first birthday without Mom.

I respect everyone's belief system who posts in this forum. Many of your words, prayers and thoughts have been a great comfort. My Mom had Buddhist beliefs and there is a 49-day mourning period, after which rebirth takes place. I light a candle and incense daily to help her journey into the afterlife.

Today is my birthday. Mom passed away on June 7th and yesterday I received a call that her ashes were ready for pickup. I was wondering how I was going to cope on my first birthday without her and then I thought "I got the call today because Mom wants to be with me on my birthday...".

When I went to the address to pick up her ashes I made a turn into the wrong parking lot. I had to cross a street and, to my right as I am approaching the cross walk, I see a mural of Japanese cranes. Mom had taught me how to make these cranes about two weeks before she died and I have been making them daily as I light the candle and incense, thinking of her.

Whatever is in the universe and whatever you believe I had a moment of peace in my grief. I miss her so much and thank you for listening.

97yroldmom Jun 2022
Happy, Happy Birthday AsianDaughter. As always, your writing is a gift for us.
I am happy for you that your mom is sharing in your day and the cranes sound lovely.

MJ1929 Jun 2022
Honestly, I found the "firsts" easier to get through with after my dad's death than with my mom's. Dad died the day before Thanksgiving on 2018, his birthday was on December 20, and of course Christmas was December 25. All were dreadful and sad, but we were already feeling dreadful and sad, so by the time we floated to the surface grief-wise, we'd already been through all those dreaded events.

Mom died last July 26, and her birthday was the day before mine -- April 30 to my May 1. This year was the first I'd celebrated my birthday alone without sharing it with my mother, and the thought that my clock was still ticking while hers stopped really hit me hard as the days approached. Fortunately, my son was married the weekend before and that kept everyone busy, and as it happened, the only day we could schedule my parents' estate sale was -- you guessed it -- April 30. (Mom would have been madder than a wet hen about that, too!)

I was busy and distracted all that day, and even though it's less than two months ago, I have absolutely no recollection of my own birthday the day after the sale, and that's 100% OK. We've now made it through all the "firsts" without Mom, and I'm ready to move forward (once we get the blasted house sold).

I'm glad you had good signs today, and that they lifted you up.

ADVERTISEMENT

SnoopyLove Jun 2022
Happy birthday! May your “birthday year” be full of blessings and wonderful memories of your beloved mother.

Isthisrealyreal Jun 2022
What a beautiful blessing you have received for your birthday.

Happy Birthday!

lealonnie1 Jun 2022
I do not believe in 'coincidences'. I call them "God-incidences" instead, b/c God is my choice of higher power.

Your mom's ashes were ready for pick up today as her birthday gift to you, and the 'wrong turn' was made was so you could see the mural of Japanese cranes; her second gift to you on your birthday. No coincidence at all, but her birthday gift to you NO DOUBT! And a huge one at that!!! How awesome.

Happy Birthday, my friend. I hope you can take a small bit of comfort in knowing mom is with you today (and every day) on your special day, celebrating with you, in spirit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter