Find Senior Care (City or Zip)
Join Now Log In
V
Vickster1221 Posted March 2010

My mother is taking care of my father who is bedridden from a stroke. She can't afford to pay for help to come to the house. Are there any

programs out there to help them? They live in MD. Also I want someone else to care for him because I know she is mentally abusive to him and has even hit him. I need help but everywhere I turn they want money that I DO NOT have. What can I do?

Jaye Mar 2010
check to see if there is a local Area Agency on Aging. there are programs that can help. sounds like he needs to be removed from the situation and cared for elsewhere... take care, J

LynnPO Mar 2010
I'm writing There should be a county Area Agency on Aging office in your county or region of MD, contact them. They can help you understand what's possible. Some states provide in-home assistance using each state has different criteria that elders must meet to qualify. Your mother might also be suffering from stress and stress-related illness herself. It might be wise to take her to a physician for a physical to gauge her ability to continue to care for your dad at home.
This is a tough situation for everyone involved. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

EXPERT Carol Bradley Bursack, CDSGF Mar 2010
Please go to your MD state Web site and look under aging services. They will have a Family Caregiver Support Program (it may have a slightly different name.) That should be a good source for you. Also, you should find state contact information on the aging services site. Most available help is handled on a local level so this gets you to the right people.
Good luck,
Carol

ADVERTISEMENT

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter