Getting paid as a sitter

Started by

Mom has Altzheimers and has lived with me for 8 years. She pays her own way at day care and for part time sitters. I carry her to daycare, shopping, and doctors. Each day I help her bathe, dress, fix breakfast, give pills and do breathing and other treatments as well. At night I do the same thing and laundry. The past year has been rough for me financially. I would like for mother to pay me for 5 hrs a day at the same rate she pays her other sitters. I asked irs about this and they said it might be a problem since she was living in my home but they did not provide me with a definitive answer. It seems to me that I should be able to get paid like the other sitters. Does anyone know the rules?


I want to know the answer too. I take care of my mother with Alzheimer's Disease and Breast Cancer 24/7 except for 3 hours each day Mon.-Fri. when we have a companion take her out to lunch and walk for exercise at the mall and see her sister. The only other help I get is that my sister takes her on Sunday from 10:30 am to 2:00 pm and additionally is her Power of Attorney and pays her bills. The companion gets paid $10 per hour and that adds up to $600 per month. My sister allows my mother to pay me $200 per month and is unhappy about that. I have no insurance, no 401k, no savings, no retirement, am divorced, have no children to turn to for help me in my old age and am determined to keep my mother at home and out of the system for every last second I can in her own home because she deserves that much at least. I love my mother very much. I don't regret the responsibility. I see it as an honor and a privilege to care for my mother and will continue to do so. However, I am 49 years old I want to know what if anything the government does for caregivers who are left without insurance or can't get even Medicaid and live below the poverty level in order to keep family members out of nursing homes and the Medicare/Medicaid system thus making my mother a tax burden to society.
I'm very confused. Why does my comment about caring for my mother with Alzheimer's Disease and Breast Cancer and it's related issues related to being paid a somewhat larger amount that $200 per month and my question about why the goverment does not address the needs of caregivers who are doing the right thing trying to keep their loved ones at home as long as possible thereby necessitate some form of perhaps insurance warrant a notation that says ......................."Suggest Removal" ???
My mother has alzheimer's too. I've checked into possibly getting paid too. I live in ohio there is a phone number for the Ohio District 5 on Aging that I called they said that I would have to be certified and call a group called Passport. First of all I have been taking care of my mom for almost 5 years now. I was an aide in a nursing home for 3 years,but was never certified.So why do I have to do that? Next,Passport, my neice's grandmother was on that. When she passed they came in and took everything. Her father was her grandmothers caregiver and lived there. They evicted him and auctioned off the house. When I asked them (Passport) about that, they said that it was to recover some of the expenses that she had. So if anyone out there has any idea as to where we as family caregivers can go to find some kind of financial help please holler loud and clear.
i also take care of my mother-in-law she gets a check but her other daughter seems to take most of it, I heard I could Maybe get some kind of help from the IRS because she is not staying in Gov Housing anymore thanks for taking the time to read this post
i take care of my mother,i know there is a program that pays for doing this but i dont know how to find out more info
You might be able to get some pay directly from the state for taking care of your parent if your parent has few assets and little income. Your parent might qualify for home care through Medicaid. But instead of getting that care from a Medicaid home care agency, it might be possible – depending on the rules in the state where you live -- to have the state pay your parent directly. She could then use the money to pay you for taking care of her. In some states, this kind of cash assistance is possible even your parent has slightly too much income or assets to qualify for Medicaid.

All this depends on your state having a program called Cash and Counseling, or a similar program. Your parent can apply for Medicaid and Cash and Counseling, or for a similar state cash assistance program, at your local Medicaid office. To find the local Medicaid (social services) office near you, contact the Eldercare Locator by phone toll-free at 800-677-1116, or go online to any search engine and type in the word Medicaid plus the name of your state. Good Luck, Ila
I called our office of the ageing because a social worker assured me we could get low cost home care but when I called them our small income of our pensions and medicare was too much to qualify for us. Also a nursing home told us we could use paratranist for visits to M.D.s but I found out we live 1/4 mile too far from a bus line-you have to be careful depending on experts advice- they really should keep up on there information.
I Have been taking care of my 82 year old father for over five years now and have been on welfare. Can i recieve payment for doing this?
shoot get real you guys there isn't a soloution to this problem i have been taking care of my dad and he told me a few yrs back if i needed anthing to use his money the time i didn't it was hard for to hold a full time job i couldn't get anyone of my family members to help me and i choose to work nights so someone could come in the daytime why i got some sleep oh no! that was a big issue and i come from a family of 12 and you would think i was the only child. so when i did use it i endd up in court got my dpoa snatch from so now me my family has to move out we have to be out by jan 31st my family is vindictive they were wrong i gave up my life and time to take care of my dad and this is the thanks i get now i half to pay back what i can't show for that i spent on him or his house or i will do 5 yrs in jail.
Aren't families (WONDERFUL) ha,ha .If they only knew what we (caregivers) go through. Sometime I just wish we could reverse the rolls on them. Let them give up their lives and take care of the family member. I wouldn't trust my sister with my mother for 1 day let alone for what seems like eternity. We had a tornado tear the roof off our house in 2003 so mom went and stayed with my sister. Sister started complaining that mom was getting mean and grouchy,I checked her pills, here she wasn't taking them ,for 3 weeks !! No wonder she was mean.My sister said that she saw mom take water up with her at night so she figured she was taking them. I told her that mom is like a 4 year old child now and that you have to watch her. msbruse, I can relate ,check with legal aide they might help you.

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support