reena81 Asked May 2015

Is there anything that helps an elder with COPD and their breathing?

Besides what the hospital prescribe him? I know his meds are important but sometimes in the mean time it would be nice to give him things such as DIY oils or something soothing to him. I have an 83 year old dad that is in and out of the hospital and sometimes being in the hospital every couple months is tiring. He has slight dementia but otherwise capable of doing things himself without any problems. I get tired of the hospital at times and we only have 1 available where I live so they know him quite well.

20

Answers

reena81 Sep 2016
Thanks all. Sorry for that late response. I will try all possibilities. I tried the oils but they only work for so long. I need to use the humidifier more often, and a fan.

8/25/2016. 9:11 p.m. PDT

SueC1957 Aug 2016
Terrygma,
It sounds like your dad has his own agenda of how he wants to manage his care and he's going to do it his way, (not wearing oxygen, refusing therapy, refusing to quit smoking, not using oils on his own, etc.) Possibly he's in denial of how serious his condition is or possibly he's asserting what little control he has over his life. You can suggest things but don't expect much. Accept his choice and spend whatever time you have left without badgering him or being sarcastic. It will be difficult to see his decline but you have to respect his right to do it his way. We all have the right to make our own decisions, however poor they are.

SueC1957 Jul 2016
Thanks, Garden Artist, for reporting it. I wasn't sure how to do that.
Yes, obviously (to me), this was spam but I didn't want anyone to "fall" for it. (I was gullible when I first started with Internet boards.)
It's too bad that jerks like this can't just keep to themselves.

Thankless, the post on which you commented is just another version of a repeated spammer who claims to have magic potions, reunite lovers, and just spouts nonsense. It's the same pattern; someone claims to have been miraculously cured, reunited, etc. by someone allegedly a doctor. An e-mail address is included. It probably is to someone who responds and sends malware or otherwise infects your computer.

The names of the alleged patient and witch doctor change, but the gist is the same. It's just spam.

I've reported that post for deletion by the Admins.

SueC1957 Jun 2016
Oh dear, an herbal potion that can "cure" cancer, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis? I think not.
In 37 years of nursing, I have never seen a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) completely cured. You can NOT undo the damage that had already been done. This is modern day "snake oil".

Labs4me Feb 2016
My mother used Breathe Right Nasal Strips at night. She had Chronic COPD and she said it helped her breath at night in addition to her oxygen concentrator

Marya3 Feb 2016
We use Breathe it is an oil from doTERRA which I use daily on his feet. It really helps him a lot. When he feels congested we put a drop of oil right on chest he opens right up. Yes I am part of doTERRA I buy for myself we have a webpage and I sale to friends and family. I don't push it on people they have a great product which I have used because of being in a terrible car accident years ago. I can get relieve from my pain levels with Deep Blue products which my whole family uses. I have been able to change part of my life from not having to take so much medication which brings on many side effects by using oils. I always try the oils first to see if I can get what I need before going on to a prescription.

Terry, I've found that wearing oxygen and using a walker can sometimes be the hardest to accept as they're such visible signs, and for those who need them, perhaps visible signs that they're becoming frail and need assistance. It's as if there's a public announcement: I need help and can't breath or walk on my own! Such admissions can't be easy.

Sometimes embracing the help devices can bring takes quite awhile.

Hang in there - maybe your father will come around and accept his oxygen!

ferris1 May 2015
terrygma - if your father refuses to quit smoking, that is his choice to die sooner. My brother would not stop either and died at 55 yrs. By the way, Arizona's altitude (at least in the Phoenix area) is far lower than OR. Essential oils cannot be put directly on the skin, and peppermint might open up his nostrils more, but COPD is chronic and there is no cure for a smoker who refuses to quit except stopping. Accept his right to choice this form of death.