What can I do when a nursing home has misplaced or stolen all my mothers clothing? - AgingCare.com

What can I do when a nursing home has misplaced or stolen all my mothers clothing?

i spoke with the manager about it and for months the have been giving me the run around

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
The one and only time my wife's clothes went to the laundry, it did not come back. All laundry was put into their laundry bag with the room number on it. The bag was for another room. This was in a very nice and small rehab. Not all patients had memory problems.
I mentioned it to the aid and her clothes were found in short order. How does a bag of clothing with "Room 8" on it get lost?
I did bring her blanket home and launder it. Nothing went missing from the room fortunately. But somehow a hair brush and comb appeared along with nail clippers. Those had to be brought into the room by another person.
Thankfully she was only there for 22 days.
Reply to OldSailor

everyone here seems to assume that dimentia patients are prone to ‘lose’ their laundry. my contention is that in a locked facility, how ‘lost’ can laundry, or anything else, actually be!? the residents arent leaving the unit with those items! if ‘residents taking things’ was the concern, there should be a room within the unit of ‘lost’, unaccounted for things! that dimentia patients must also suffer the indignities of substandard care and also be victims of facility negligence and indifference is a travesty, esp at the inflated rates they myst pay, regardless of health. that child daycares can closely monitor and report the daily movements and needs of ‘their’ little charges is proof that elder care has far to go in providing the same diligence for our parents and grandparents!
Reply to dobetter101

This just happened to my mother who has been in rehab for 2 1/2 months. I think her last roommates family cleared out both sides of the closet. Even my mother's coat is gone. I'm waiting to see if they recover the clothing quickly but am upset that the workers there didn't question why mom's closet was empty or why her roommate who was only there for 2 or so weeks would have so many clothes to take home. I expect them to reimburse mom for the loss but dread the job of replacing the many items as she is tiny and difficult to fit. Just disgusted!
Reply to lynina2

I had the same problem with my father's things. Now they are all marked with a stamp whose ink does not come out with the wash and can be applied to any fabric. I found this on: stampallyourclothes (.com)
Reply to marynemp

My mother is in a nursing home, has demetia, macular degeneration, heart problems, cannot walk, dress herself and has COPD. I visit the home regularly and they have consistently lost her clothing, even though a sign is on the closet door that says FAMILY DOES LAUNDRY in bold letters. I have asked the administration, the nurses and aids to just have the aids take the clothing out to dress my mom in the morning and return it to the laundry basket at the end of the day. I have told them that if it is soiled, to put the soiled item in a plastic bag and put it in the laundry basket in the closet. This has been ongoing for 5 months since my mother has been there. The laundry room manager has told me to send her clothing to the laundry room and they would label her clothing. There is still a pair of pajamas missing and a pair of pants. I do not feel right going into other people's closets to see it those items are there. There is a whole closet full of missing clothing from floor to ceiling on all four sides. I have found items there on several occasions. The director of laundry services stated that he has no control over what other people do. I do believe that all administrative staff are responsible for making sure that the aids and nurses take care of patients medications, oxygen, clothing and dentures and eye glasses.
Reply to rmark21

Perhaps technology will be able to help with this in the future.
I can imagine bar code labels on clothing to help sort the laundry, microchips embedded in items like dentures and glasses, room doors that only admit the rightful residents and staff with thumb print locks or maybe some type of smart bracelet (hmm, that could do double duty as a tracker). If they want to leave their room doors open during the day there could be some kind of half door or screen door that would still give them that ability.

I'm sorry but when my mum is paying nearly £4000 a month for her care, I expect her things to be respected! She has now had 15 pairs of pants, a brand new skirt, carriage clock, TV remote, 2 cardigans, 2 pairs of trousers, a new cosyfeel slipper and a framed painting she did herself 'removed', and the only thing that came back was the Tv remote. When I see the horrendous waste of food that goes on and the highly expensive redecoration of the lounges, it makes me feel this money could have been better spent on an extra staff member at busy times to monitor room swapping. My mum is not a wanderer and still gets upset that she has to wear paper pants because there are none in the drawer, that she can't see the time because her clock has gone, and that her privacy is constantly invaded by other residents.
Reply to igloobabe

They should not wash everyones clothes together, thought that was a health regulation?
Reply to Lillypad12

Are they suppose to wash everyones clothes together? Thats gross!
Reply to Lillypad12

I guess the only real solution would be for the nursing home to provide the clothing for everyone. That way there's not anyone who can complain that "their" stuff went missing or someone stole it. But of course who would want to live in that place? There's certainly trade-offs for having your loved one in a facility, and this is a very annoying one. But the lack of privacy would bother me even more. That's why I am so glad I made it possible for my parents to stay in their own home for as long as possible.
Reply to malloryg8r

1 2 3 4