Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
About the air fryer hype ! My daughter loves hers.

My gas oven/range broke last year . The computer control panel could not be replaced so I had to buy a new oven/range , too old the guy said ( it was an 18 year old kitchen aid ) . I actually bought one that also has an air fryer option in the oven thinking it would appeal to young people as we are looking to sell and downsize soon . I have used it and like it . It didn’t come with the basket , I had to buy one , but that was cheap . I hear though that it’s not exactly the same as using one of the countertop air fryers but I also don’t want another thing on my counter or have to store another small appliance .
(3)

I bought 1 air fryer, wasn't impressed at all. Didn't understand the hype about them. Then someone recently bought us a Ninja air fryer. Omg now I don't know what I would do without it!! Mostly use it for quick dinners. Bacon is really good in it. And Fridays potato skins. Both very unhealthy choices, but they are in an air fryer. Haha. Any other suggestions would be great 😃. But the Ninja is the only way to go. For anyone buying one
(3)

So, who has an air fryer?

I don’t have one. My daughter keeps raving about hers. She is bringing hers over tomorrow for me to cook a meal with it to see if I like it.

I am going to make an ‘orange chicken’ recipe that looks good.

If you have an air fryer what do you like to make in yours? What model did you buy?
(1)

Cheese ravioli, meatballs with sauce and garlic bread. Smells pretty good so far
(4)

ITRR,

I love to cook as well. I know what you mean. I also have to freeze meals. Sometimes, I share things I bake with others because it’s too much for two people.

You cook a nice variety of things. That’s my one drawback, I think. I tend to get stuck in a rut sometimes and cook the same things over and over again.

I am reconfiguring my spices in my kitchen. It drives me crazy when I am not organized. I found a couple of things that expired in 2016! 🤣 I immediately threw them in the trash!
(1)

Nothing special, a frozen Trader Joe's dish. But somehow, I decided to rewatch the movie "The Father" with Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Coleman ......
(3)

Thanks need!

I love to cook and find it therapeutic. 😋

I was recently asked how my husband and myself stay so trim with all the cooking and baking I do, I laughed and said serving sizes!

I miss having a big crew, I was their mom because I fed them all the time, now, we have a freezer full of prepared foods. Which is really nice on those days life is just to busy but, I still miss being able to prepare lots of different things.
(2)

ITRR,

I would eat anything that you cooked. You are a fabulous cook!
(1)

Ham and beans, spicy collards and corn bread.

I get organic pinto beans from Azure Standards and they are the creaminess, tastiest pintos ever! Actually, everything from them is amazing.
(4)

Pasta with chicken and veggies.

Big,

I love soup and make all kinds of soups often but I have never had Italian wedding soup.
(1)

I pulled a piece of cod from the bottom of the freezer and it cooked up sad and rubbery, but the fish gave up it's life for my dinner so I ate it anyway.
(3)

You are correct. I made homemade Italian wedding soup. Bon appetite
(2)

Hubs and I went to a firehall fundraiser breakfast this morning. I have not eaten anything since!
(3)

Have been staring at a menu on my phone for five minutes! Can’t decide between the chicken shawarma or the gyro. Love them both!
(2)

Too many carrots? Carrots are one of my fave veggies. The soup and candied carrots sound great. How about carrot cake, carrot muffins, carrot cookies, carrot fries (see below), carrot raisin salad...

I always semi poach my fried eggs. They would work fine for Eggs Benedict.

ITRR You can use an egg poacher so they come out very nice and neat.

Love asparagus any way! Roasted veggies are great. I must get back to roasting a pan or two of veggies to keep in the fridge. Very handy! If you cut up carrots like potatoes you can make carrot fries. They are lovely right out of the oven.

I roasted a pork belly tonight. There were some strange things in the fridge and freezer when I came here.Things I would not normally buy. Pork belly is one of them. But I had done it once before in Fort Mc and it and the crackling turned out well. The meat is so tender and you cook most of the fat out of it.

I tried one here earlier with a fancy recipe and ended up throwing most of it out so no more fancy recipes for me! 😉
(2)

I had roast asparagus, yummy !!
(4)

All the talk about hollandaise sauce has made me hungry for a fish dish that I make, grill any nice white fish, cover with some steamed asparagus then drizzled with hollandaise sauce.

This is an amazing, easy dish and feels like you are eating at a Michelin 5 star restaurant.

Edit: we love to try new foods, today we enjoyed duck feet, wing and tongue. I was floored how delicious it was, however, I couldn't look at it because it was weirding me out and making it hard to even try, so I looked at my love and enjoyed.
(3)

I overbought on some carrots (i'm still not used to getting shopping proportions just for me!) sooo I'm going to make a fabulous ginger-carrot soup my mum has an old recipe for. It's fantastic. i'm gonna live off it at work in my lunches for a week!

also I'm going to make candied carrots because i bought soooo many carrots x_x

poaching eggs is very challenging and i don't do it very often. i get very mixed results when I do ;-)
(2)

Fresh eggs and a pinch of salt and vinegar in the water. For me the challenge would be making the hollandaise because it's a real p.i.t.a, but the packaged stuff works too.
(1)

We were disappointed that the restaurant where we’d hoped to eat closed early, as I was craving eggs Benedict. So I made it myself. I still haven’t figured out how to poach tidy round eggs, but dinner was yummy.
(6)

I did think about a glaze and I will probably do that next time. The recipe was moister than most, but it said it would be. Hubs just is not a big scone eater,, he really likes pies and such, much sweeter.
(3)

I never thought scones were supposed to be sweet. Overseas they are not - just light and fluffy and served with butter or clotted cream and jam. You break off a piece, slather it with lashings of butter or clotted cream, and a healthy spoonful of homemade jam. Mmmm, good!!!

These days I am making a lot of soups - meal in a bowl type. The last one was ground turkey and lentils (and other veggies). Makes for easy suppers and good in the cold weather.
(3)

I've never liked the few scones I've ever had but then we were taken to a coffee shop in a little resort town where they made them fresh every day and I had their raspberry one... omg to die for! So moist and just sweet enough. It had a glaze too but I personally don't need that much sugar. Now I can't stop thinking about it...
(4)

Great idea cwillie!

Blueberry scones with a lemon and ginger glaze sounds like something I need to try. Mmmm!
(4)

Maybe you can add a glaze Pam, the cranberry scones at my local restaurant are glazed and it really takes them to the next level
(4)

Pam,

I love scones! One day I may try to make them. I buy them at my favorite coffee shops.
(2)

Another snow day here, and one of my projects for the winter is to learn to make good scones. So today I made blueberry ones. They turned out pretty good, but not sweet enough for hubs ( he likes sweets, and scones are not really sweet). I forgot how dang sticky the dough is is!!
(5)

Pam,

I spoil my four legged grandchildren. One daughter has kitties and the other one has a dog.

My girls say to me, “Mom, if we have kids are you going to spoil them as much as the fur babies?” I told them that I just might! 😆
(1)

Brandee,

I want to be invited to one of your teas! Sounds amazing!

Golden,

I love spicy! Yum! 😋
(1)

Pam, that's wonderful news. Congratulations 🎉🎊🎉

Made sweet and sour cabbage soup with a little heat added and just finished a bowl full. It is really good and just what I needed on a cold January day. I'll freeze some for when R gets home. I know he will like it too.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter