Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
im having more of my 15 bean soup. i have about a half a bucks worth of jowel bacon in them. im getting cheap in my elder years. bought a quart of chicken livers the other day for 1.10 and loved em. gonna get some more of them.
i refreshed my supply of cinnamon rolls last night so things arent all chicken organs and doom. he he
(2)

Cabbage rolls: search for "GOLOBKI recipes" there are many variations.
(1)

I am looking for the traditional hungarian recipe for stuffed cabbage. They are called gwumpkies. I am especially interested in the treaditional tomato based sauce.
(1)

Agree, with windy. Hot and sour soup, once helped to clear up pneumonia that I had, about 30 years ago now. It was all I wanted to eat!
(2)

My son and his family are in Chesterton, captain. He is the head of maintenance at a large apt complex, and has been blowing, salting and shoveling since November. And, of course, it ALWAYS snows on the weekend. He calls it "white gold" for the OT, but would sure love a weekend inside. No matter how cold it is here, it's ALWAYS worse there.
(0)

our temps will finally turn to 35 - near 40 degrees beginning wednesday. winter in indiana this year just got cold, turned white and stayed that way. winter is hard on a construction worker. inactivity is not the norm for us.
(1)

My mother loves pasta e fagiole (sp?) soup, especially the one that is served at Olive Garden. I found a "knock off recipe" on line and boy is it good!!! I usually try to cook Friday thru Monday to help out with cooking. I also love using my crock pot!!!
(5)

Hi Everyone,
I made delicious Latkes with Spaghetti squash! Check out Wheat Belly Recipe Book by Dr. William Davis. I am going without wheat and grains and low or no sugar but it's a lot easier than I thought. I made a delicious pizza crust from his book too. Basically you use almond meal, coconut flour, and ground flaxseed for a lot of recipes. I have been cutting in Garbanzo bean flour when I run out of the first two ingredients.
(2)

Hot and sour soup!! chinese!! ..it being 6 pm and I have no dinner planned and just got home and everyone is starving... crap....GENIUS!!
(2)

Oh Boni! That cracks me up...no more white anything!

Your meal sounds delicious. (tummy grumble)
(1)

Hubby made pot roast with vegies,, smells wonderful! Even Mom with a chest cold and no appetite ate platefull!
(3)

Beef tips in gravy, with carrots, over buttered noodles, and biscuits.
I am SO over winter and can't wait to throw a burger on the grill!
Stopped at the florist today and asked for a $10 bouquet, to help the winter blues......and he hands me WHITE roses and baby's breath. UM.....no. We need COLOR!
(3)

Jeanne, I've always been intrigued by the African Groundnut Stew. Is there a particular recipe you like? I did a search and there's oodles of variations out there.

We love the Dan Dan noodles from Tea House which I believe (?) involve peanut butter. Love what the nut can bring to a dish. :)
(0)

If you're talking about a cold, and not an upset stomach, I'd go for anything spicy. Chinese hot and sour soup is what I like besides the standard chicken noodle soup. Get it to go or have it delivered if possible. No cooking when you least feel like it.

It really helps to loosen up a stuffed nose and chest congestion. Plus, it's something a person can actually taste as that sense usually suffers with a cold.

I DO tend to like spicy food so your mileage may vary. :)
(4)

yogurt, debra. it always seems to calm my guts.
(1)

Any ideas for when you caught a bad cold and thinking about food sounds so unappetizing.
(0)

lol,joan. whats for dinner largely is determined by the leftovers to be used up. for lunch i just had 1/4 lb of ground ( something ) , mixed with a big scoop of 15 bean soup, smashed, refried, and eaten on crackers. oh, a couple slices of alledged cheese melted in it.
(1)

I have a quick and dirty substitute for cherry pie my grandson loves. Open a can of crescent rolls and put half in a square pan and pre bake about 10 minutes. Heat a can of cherry pie filling in the microwave until very hot and bubbly (that makes the top cook through) Put cherries on baked bottom, top with other half of crescents, (brush with milk and top with sprinkled sugar if you want to get fancy) and bake until top is done. Easier than making pie and pretty yummy.
(3)

Tonight was African Groundnut Stew in the crockpot. Chicken, peanut butter, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and spices.
(3)

oops - makes for creative cooking

mbvargo - cookies??? Made me laugh - those days are long gone for me

wordy - the cookies sound great. Cabin fever???? You have no idea . Minus 11F - feels like minus 27. Just hooked up the (t)rusty old dog team (2002 Buick)and got me some groceries. Dang the wind was cold! Hibernating tomorrow

windy -you are getting fluffy??? have you had your thyroid checked? a splash of two of sherry improves many things. My father made what he called Zoop which was a soup made from whatever leftovers were in the frig and a hefty dose of sherry and it was always good
(1)

mbvargo - I am allergic to watermelon but your dish sounds yummy
windy I do love food and cooking relaxes me. Usually I cook several dishes at once I will do a ground beef mixture - onions garlic etc. and make stuffed peppers and also lazy cabbage rolls, and a soup - always have to have soup
around. I boil up bones for stock with a little vinegar in them to get the minerals out as I am allergic to dairy as well as gluten and watermelon. majes f
(1)

BoniChak, Mushroom soup is a staple around here but used it in last batch of chicken & dumplings. Ginger citrus sauce has my mouth watering emjo, so I'm going to try it. Now windytown, you sound like an expert cook! Layering flavors? Wow, I need to up my cooking game! Did make a yummy batch of choc chip, oatmeal, PB chip, scotch chip, and coconut cookies. Made them for a class last Tuesday but it got cancelled. Hope they make it to the next class.

Anyone else have cabin fever?
(3)

Cookies
(1)

LadeeC, if it makes you feel any better, all I want right now is crispy hashbrowns, and I have to go to bed to see mom tomorrow. Oh well....Delayed gratification and all that. Bah!
(2)

Emjo, I truly loved the oven browning of the veg first. I can tell you love food like me. :) I appreciate that in you.
I'm getting kind of fluffy, not gaining weight, and that disturbs me.
This sub-zero for months on end is bad for even walking the dog. Gaah!

Ready to go low-carb again. Too bad I finally perfected pizza dough! :(
(3)

Ok .. it really sucks when you just went grocery shopping, the freezers, cupboards and fridge are full ........ and nothing sounds good, except what y'all are having and I don't have it.

Latkes ...... yummmmmmm
(22)

Wordy2shoes, next time season and brown the pork loin in some oil before you put it in the crock pot. Throw some onions in with it to carmelize and get the outer fat on the loin nice and brown. NOW, it's ready for the crock pot. Think of 'layering' flavors in different stages.

Maybe add some celery and carrots and raw onion to your rice, or sub potatoes. Carmelized onions and raw onions together build a flavor profile. Add a little chicken broth, 1/2 cup or so and a splash of cooking Sherry, then the herbs you prefer.

If you like pulled pork sandwiches, no need to brown (though it does add flavor). Put the loin, though pork shoulder is preferable with a higher fat ratio, into the crockpot with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook low and slow for 7-8 hours. It will pull apart fork tender. Serve on buns with extra BBQ sauce. This meat can be stretched all weeks for tacos, quesadillas, etc. Good and economical.
(5)

word - what about a ginger citrus stir fry sauce or something similar with a little heat in it
(2)

Word.....a can of mushroom soup?
(1)

Ok everyone loved this: chopped up whole small seedless watermelon. Red pepper cut up small yellow pepper cut up small, half white onion cut up small , juice of three fresh limes, bunch of langostinos or small shrimp served cold. Everyone are it I think it wanted cilantro and jalapeño but I had none It was from the pioneer woman cooks
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter