Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Busy day today, so had chicken pot pies topped off by a big glass of milk for me.
(1)

Our favorite steak here is porterhouse. I just use Old Bay Seasoning on it and cook it in a George Foreman Grill. Great, and easy. (Our outdoor grill is under 2 feet of snow at the moment ...)
(2)

(((hugs))) Boni…

I got so tired of never having a good steak anymore (no more nice dinners out for me), so I researched how to buy meat at grocery and make at home.

I buy mostly strip or rib eye, about 1-1 1/2 inch thickness. Allow steak to come to room temp, season well with salt and pepper each side. Sear in tablespoon olive oil in hot skillet, about 1 min each side to get nice brown sear. Put into toaster oven at preheated 375, done in 5 mins for rare/medium rare.

Maybe I just haven't had a good steak in awhile, so my bar is set artificially low, but I'm LOVING the results I get from this easy preparation. :D
(24)

Tired tonight. Waffles.....from the freezer.
(4)

I'm more of a measurer, emjo. After I've had a recipe for the first time I may write on it "try adding nutmeg" or "too much cumin" etc. I make adjustments for next time, but not typically as I go.

Speaking of measuring, my dear Coy made a mean vat of turkey soup, and somehow this evolved into a base for matzo ball soup that we had at our family holiday gatherings. He never measured. One year I went around behind him with a clipboard and wrote down everything he put in it, and estimated how much. Within a few years of that he developed dementia. He could still make his soup (with a lot of supervision) because I had that written record for him to follow. And I can still make it. Maybe this year I'll invite one of the (adult) grandkids to help me make it for our holiday party.
(2)

cap -you mentioned throwing cut up apple into something . We always had apples and prunes with our turkey - Norwegian style. Even had them in the soup afterwards. Apple goes with the turkey necks too,

Tonight a nice hot chili is simmering on the stove for later, and a
hamburger soup. Will add greens to the soup tomorrow.

Has anyone made a chocolate cake with spices like cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne in it? I grind up an orange, rind and all and add that in too.
Awesome!
G's birthday tomorrow - should make one for him. he loves it.

Tonight pork roast again. The flavours of the marinade are coming out nicely. I couldn't make a regular gravy because of the marinade, so I decided it had to be a sauce, and after thickening it I added a little juice from the cinnamon apples. Just the right touch!

I have to taste my way through when I am cooking. G says he can make a chili just right without tasting, I gotta taste everything and figure out what it needs.

Any more tasters out there?
(5)

Tastes like chicken. ;)
(2)

if you guys dont think chicken organs and squirrel heads are funny, maybe youd be more receptive to the time i bought a boar hog from a neighbor for 50 bucks. this dam hog was about the size of a short bus . we chewed on that old hog for probably a year . so ya wonder if boar taint is a reality. lol. the taint was the only part we didnt eat.
(3)

i like collared greens. aunt edna made em the best. shed fry em with a couple pieces of bacon for flavoring then hit em with white vinegar.
in my mothers last few months i was stirfrying all kinds of vegs together and she really liked em. potato, onion, and a bag or so of frozen broccoli / cauliflower / carrots. since cut up sausage links was the main flavor i have been known to cut up an apple in the mix..
wish she were here, id fry her up some chicken organs . lol
(1)

when my family was younger we were building a house so there wasnt a bunch of money lying around. my aunt edna and her husband red usedta bring us their freezer burnt leftoverture and we much appreciated it but uncle red always left the skinned heads on his frozen squirrels. many evenings the joke was were having squirrel heads for dinner and a damn many a night it wasnt a joke.
squirrel, ( heads and all lol ) will cook down into some pretty b***hing vittles. ( egg noodles, etc )
(0)

Looking for the original way to cook good southern collard greens. Had them at a potluck wedding in the north and loved how they tasted. It may not be the healthiest, but love southern cooking.
(3)

i like black olives in homemade bread.
but tonight i had fried chicken livaars. lol. theyre so damn cheap the stores almost pay you to eat em.
my mother taught me two things about combatting inflation. " i ainta payin it, and let em keep it " . shes right. ya let em stick that crap in the dumpster a couple weeks in a row and the price will come down.
(1)

Tonight the kitchen is a total disaster (it is being painted) so we heated leftover cabbage soup in the microwave. It is a nice comfort food.

Yesterday my daughter and daughter-in-law met with 6 grandkids at a sushi restaurant. We had a blast.

Saturday is when I made the cabbage soup. It was awesome with sauerkraut rye bread from my favorite deli.

The kitchen won't be done tomorrow, so we'll be eating out!
(2)

Ah, bee I almost hate you. It is 15 here, very cold, very deep crunchy snow. Can I at least send you my mother in law?
(3)

When I read about how cold it is for many of you, I just want to say that I'm sorry. Here in the Deep South we were in the 60's today--warm enough to take the Jeep out for a window-less ride.

Cooking is my solace; the kitchen, my sanctuary. Nothing has the calming effect as does preparing a good meal for my family. Tonight we had baked spaghetti, zipper peas, and a new dessert--caramel apple dump cake. Easy and delicious!

Sending warm thoughts to each of you!
(2)

I only cook one or two days a week and make a lot of food dishes that I can combine in different ways or freeze and serve later. Egs. a mess of roast carrots, a bunch of roast potatoes, several types of baked chicken pieces, beans and tomatoes in the crock pot, lasagne with turkey tomato cheese sauce, toasted chopped onions, etc. I refuse to call anything "leftovers." That's just another word for "extra portions" that I freeze and re-heat when it's all been too crazy and stressed out. When re-heating, I might saute and add frozen vegetables, or create an omelette with small bits of food, or create a soup of all the "extra" uneaten vegetables or any meat pieces. I use a lot of spices with the 2nd go round of the food, to "disguise" it and make it more interesting.
(3)

im back on the sweetened rice. a billion lean chinese cant all be wrong.
(1)

We did spare ribs cooked in sauerkraut tonight. Horse radish mixed with mustard makes this dish. Fried potatoes and carrots on the side. One of Moms favorite winter meals. It's heavy though...I'm ready for a nap!
(1)

It is COLD, so we are having beef stew with dumplings
(3)

A few days ago I made chicken enchiladas from two rotisserie chickens from the grocery store, green sauce, cheese, green onions...yummy!!
(3)

Great topic!! We are having beef...medium rare with an artichocke for hubby, asparagus for me and brussel sprouts for both of us.
(3)

Except for the ham, windytown, your pizza sounds good. When my kids were young I made homemade pizza quite a bit. Of course, they preferred "real" pizza. Temps dropping again so I boiled a chicken for homemade chicken and dumplings/noodles again and saving some chicken for a casserole. I'd better ask people over for dinner or I'll be eating this stuff for weeks on end!
(3)

Making homemade pizza tonight. I discovered the best crust recipe for the thin and crispy type we prefer. It takes less than five minutes to make in the food processor and then an hour to rise if freezing for later or another 1/2 hour rise if using right away. Going to top it with a little sauce, prosciutto ham, artichoke hearts, onions and goat cheese. Lastly, and this is going to sound weird, I drizzle a little honey over the top. Had this at a restaurant once and I loved it - altogether it's a little spicy, a little salty and a little sweet with the tang of goat cheese.

Put me in the "live to eat" category too!
(4)

Bob......I'm frugal too, except when it comes to food. I'm a "live to eat" person and you are a "eat to live" person.
I am curious......what is your absolute biggest most favorite meal ever??????
What about desert? (Do NOT say cinnamon buns,lol)
(1)

Can't believe it! Mom's going to sisters house TWICE in a week!
I'm thinking Chinese delivery.......with Tums for desert.
(3)

sounds good emjo. turkeys shouldnt be immune to my efforts to be the cheapest sob who ever lived.
(1)

We live in Pittsburgh.........so it's pierogies. Fried with onions and pork chops.
And a wine toast in memory of my sweet brother who died on this day four years ago.
(3)

it's doing it again - casserole dish, empty a container of sauerkraut into the pan you browned the turkey necks, warm up and get all the scrapings mixed in. Add caraway seed to taste, and pour onto of the turkey necks. Cover with foil. I grease the foil as the sauerkraut is acid and bake in oven till necks are falling apart. G told me it was the way his German grandmother made it. It is even better the next day,
(2)

Bob, have you ever tried turkey necks? They are cheap here. Gary had them at home and told me about them so I figured out a recipe - couldn't find one on the net. Brown the necks well, put in a casser
(0)

There are actually recipes for gwumpkies too and lots of variations. I use a similar meat mixture for stuffing bell peppers.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter