Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Dinner tonight was leftovers from Sunday Brunch at Gramma's, which I hosted yesterday. There were 25 of us for brunch. This is what we had:

Gingerbread waffles
Belgium waffles
Real maple syrup
Hot Fruit compote (peaches, apricots, cherries, raisins)
Blueberry Ebelskivers
Banana bread
Orange cranberry bread
Scotch Eggs, dipping sauce
Vegetarian Quiche (cheese, spinach, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes)
Salmon Quiche (broccoli, peppers, smoked salmon, cheese)
Roasted Yukon Potatoes with Smoked Paprika
Roasted Onions
Bacon
Canadian bacon
North Carolina Pound Cake
Limoncello berry sauce
Flourless Chocolate Torte
Date krispy balls
Fresh fruit tart (kiwi, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
Clipper Chippers (Deluxe chocolate chip cookies)
Individual pineapple Upside Down Cakes

Fruit juices
Tea
Beer
Sprite
(4)

oh my. i ground up an entire billie goat years ago and made about 3 miles of goat sausage stuffed into sausage casings of course. man you can almost see where this is going. inlaws, babys first birthday party, two giant homemade pizzas freakin loaded with sliced sausage links. the pizzas just turned out to be fantastic to the point that people even took some home for later. i look at it like this; they hated me before i fed em goat pizza so nothing was lost or gained.
saps..
(1)

ive covered the brits, germans, americans, japs and chinese , even ethiopians. if anyone is left unoffended, drop me a line and we'll get it remedied.
(1)

but ethiopians cook over burning computer trash alongside the niger river. radiated sardines i can overlook but i draw a line at cooking atop of burning piles of e - waste.
(0)

meh, i cut wood alone all day and took the easy way out tonight. bought an exceptionally large can of sardines in tomato sauce and called it dinner. they came from fukishima and im pretty sure they were cooked even before they were caught. the b**ches were glowing in the dark.
(1)

yea, standingalone,
look up fudge ecstacy cookies, probly on better homes and gardens website. these are the big, bendy, shits. walnuts, choc chips AND bakers chocolate. they are so rich youll need your own cow to keep the milk coming.
boni, i love to discuss cooking too. well that and motorcycle pistons. wiseco makes the best and all the japs and chinese can do is glare at them..
(2)

I must be old. We called it 'Better Than Robert Redford' cake. Or maybe my MIL didn't want to say the word 'sex'. LOL
(3)

Oh! I found a recipe for 'Better Than Sex' cake! I'm going to have to make that one! I'm damn sure not getting the sex, maybe the cake will do! lol
(2)

jeanne, I hear you about the kitchen. We renovated the kitchens in our last two bungalow homes. What a mess and when you're do-it-yourselfers, it takes a while.

The grilled Caesar consisted of a whole, intact heart of romaine. It was briefly grilled, just enough to set a slight char of grill marks and give it a subtle smoky flavor. The lettuce still maintained its' crispness. It was finished with a classic creamy Caesar dressing, fresh parmesan, croutons and lemon wedges. The salad was a little unwieldy to cut, but the flavor was so good. If it ever thaws out here, I can't wait to attempt this salad on the home grill.

Yum! Love Ethiopian food. Used to go to the Blue Nile a lot back in the day.

Hope your kitchen is done soon!
(1)

hee hee Boni, that made me lol! I swear I love your attitude! *squish!*
(1)

Black olives in bread? Wow, that sounds great! I love me some black olives! Now I'm going to have to search out a recipe for olive bread. ha ha Thanks for the idea, Cap! :)
(0)

I love this thread. I would rather talk about food than POOP anytime!
(4)

i like black olives in homemade bread. gives a sandwich a whole new outlook.
(0)

I made garlic chicken tonight. Very tasty, tender and juicy. Also made some homemade bread. YUM! :)
(4)

my ex was ocd as a housecat. it took me years to realize that everytime id set my cooking utensil down she would wash and dry it. nearly started a world war when i asked her to leave my dam spoon alone.
my kitchen designs work for me, not the opposite. pantries are doorless and everything visible at a glance. everything from rice, conf suger, beans, spaghetti, all stored in 1 gallon glass jars. all pans and utensils hang from beams. i aint a stranger to the work triangle of a good kitchen is what im sayin.
now, i gotta find something even cheaper to eat than chicken hearts cause if i miss alice cooper for the third year in a row im going to split the earth in half. i can do it to, i live atop north americas most unstable faultline.
(3)

What's a grilled Caesar salad?

Kitchen is still a mess. Ate at an Ethiopian restaurant with my vegetarian DIL. Little hole-the-wall place with very slow service but very tasty food. Brought left-overs home, plus a meal for the painter (my son).

I like eating out, but I can't wait to get back into my kitchen!
(3)

Yes, not much else to do, besides cook, when you are snowed in. Well except laundry. lol Luckily I knew it was coming and stocked up. I just wished Mom had more of an appetite. I miss cooking for my boys. Even when they were grown, they would come by often for leftovers. My Foster son, the one that just passed, used to say......"Miss Boni, your leftovers are better than anyone else's FIRST overs! Miss that boy.
(14)

I made pork chops, gravy, mashed potatoes, collard greens, corns and biscuits. The only thing to do is eat, there is 15 inches of snow outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(4)

But captain, the leftovers are sometimes the best part! In fact I aim for them for quick easy lunches the next day or freeze for future meals when I don't feel like cooking.

That does sound like a challenge though. I'll have to try it sometime. As for one pan, not for me. I just wash the big stuff as I go along and put the small stuff in the dishwasher. I'm kind of a neat freak with all my ingredients in place, chopped and prepped, before I start cooking and put spices, butter, flour and such away after I use them. Makes clean up a breeze.

I was treated to a pre-Valentine's Day dinner out tonight with my husband and son. ( I refuse to dine out on V Day and New Year's Eve - two worst nights of the year to be at a restaurant in my book.) Had BBQ grilled meatloaf, warm German potato salad and a grilled romaine Caesar salad. Very tasty and enough leftovers for two more meals. Probably shouldn't serve that for tomorrow's dinner. Heh.
(4)

before the internet i read the joy of cooking from cover to cover. im to this day astounded that a section of the book stressed the importance of following recipes to the letter then every recipe in the book offered suggestions for variations and suggested seasoning to taste. you cant have it both ways so when i cook i look in the fridge to see what kind of moldy swill needs reconstituted into a new meal.
when you get to thinking your a good cook try cooking exactly enough to satisfy your family with no leftovers. this is a freaking art form in itself. you have to consider how hungry everyone is then you have to account for the meal being good enough that everyone wants seconds. quite challenging. then when i cook i do it with as few dirty dishes as possible. any idiot can dirty every dish in the kitchen but it takes skill to keep it down to one pan or skillet.
then when youve learned to make moonshine in your pressure canner drop me a line, we should chat. lol
(5)

I used yesterdays chicken to make 2 huge pots of soup. Regular chicken noodle and minestrone.The neighbor next door, with the Flu, was very happy, and Momma ate like a champ. Made her a couple of biscuits on the side. She loves anything you can spread butter on, just like me. :)
(4)

Emjo, I cook like you do. A recipe to me is just a 'suggestion'. If it appears to have good technique, I'll follow the basics but add or subtract spices or other flavoring ingredients. It's a creative outlet like painting or gardening for me. Not all results are successful but it's the process that is fun and I learn for the next time.

Tonight I made basic grilled cheese sandwiches. On the side, I opened up a can of Campbell's tomato soup and added a cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of water and a tablespoon of spicy curry seasoning. Used McCormick's brand for all the chunks of dehydrated peppers and onions. Let it simmer for awhile and I really enjoyed it. I called it an Indian Tomato Bisque. My husband gave it a thumbs up too and he's a non-curry guy.

I'm still debating what to make on Valentine's Day. We've been together almost 29 years. (Yikes!) I'm thinking maybe a beef fondue with salad and baguette with good butter for sides. Simple sliced pears and cheese for dessert.

My mom's AL is having a dessert and movie event for the ladies. I can't believe the movie they're showing - "The Notebook". Gah! My mom doesn't participate in anything so no worries there. I just imagine a room full of weeping women. "When Harry Met Sally", maybe, but that's just kind of disturbing...Grown men cry over that movie.
(3)

Captain, that reminds me of the cartoon where the wife is sitting on the TV naked, singing, kicking her legs in the air while the football game is on. Her husband who is in his barcalounger holding a can of beer just says "Helen! You are blocking the picture!"
(2)

this thread reminds me of a cartoon i cut out of an easyrider mag 20 years ago. a big ugly biker with a case of beer under his arm was reaching for his front door knob and wondering what the " hor " had for supper. a cutaway of the wall showed the missus, buck naked, standing on a chair clear across the room holding onto a trapeze bar on a rope. i reckon the bored, unamused look on the guys face was what made it so dam funny. his run of crappy luck was about to change. lol
(2)

Kitchen still in chaos. The ceiling looks WONDERFUL. Too bad we don't cook on the ceiling, eh? Cabbage soup heated in the microwave, gingerbread waffles heated in the toaster. Maybe we'll eat out tomorrow.
(3)

Tonight is Chinese...Almond chicken with prawns, pork chowmein and fried rice...my back is out so no cooking tonight.
(2)

havent contemplated dinner yet but my day was interesting. i went to town determined to put a couple leaf springs on my truck. pulled into the parts store and saw a good friend fixing to walk home with a belt for his wifes car. i took him home, helped him fix wifes car and in return he helped me install my leaf springs. its amazing how sometimes good intentions ( and a little hard work ) just seem to fall in place.
(33)

Well, Brother had to cancel. Tonight chicken with cranberries, tomorrow chicken and gravy over rice, Friday Chicken salad, Saturday chicken soup.....you get the picture. ;)
(5)

Just put a HUGE chicken in the oven. Brother and nephew coming for dinner...YAY! Nephew is the same age as my grand daughter, so he helps fill the "Maggie shaped hole in my heart" I miss her so much!
(3)

Dinner? Missed that totally today. Finishing the day with a bloody mary.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter